Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 08:07 PM

524 posts, read 252,121 times

Advertisements

What exactly is the point of "loving your country" if your country is seriously screwed up? I get that if you have a troubled child or family member should love them even if they behave badly, but it does not mean that you should condone their bad issues or even your own, because their issues could possibly be an effect or related to your issues. Those are family matters which are very important.

But loving your country for the sake of loving your country without thought your countries behavior and history and how it has affected your life and others seems rather pointless.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:22 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Objective Detective View Post
What exactly is the point of "loving your country" if your country is seriously screwed up? I get that if you have a troubled child or family member should love them even if they behave badly, but it does not mean that you should condone their bad issues or even your own, because their issues could possibly be an effect or related to your issues. Those are family matters which are very important.

But loving your country for the sake of loving your country without thought your countries behavior and history and how it has affected your life and others seems rather pointless.
Seriously screwed up in the fact that in certain areas blacks are being slaughtered by other blacks?

Old 10-18-2017, 08:36 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,725,969 times
Quote:
What exactly is the point of "loving your country" if your country is seriously screwed up?
You need a serious does of reality if you think this country is screwed up. You need to get around the real world, maybe start in Afghanistan or some dead end craphole like Monrovia or Venezuela. You HAVE NO CLUE how good you have it here. NONE

Quote:
There are tax subsidies for them to build their stadiums for the respective teams. Where would they play without the stadiums? The breaks should be eliminated regardless of players kneeling.
You are ignorant.

Flag on the play? The NFL might get in trouble with taxpayers for getting political

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.053a5e5abee9

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stadium_subsidy

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/10/u...mele-hill.html
oh great, you're ignorant AND you have reading comprehension issues

point stands, 0 Federal Tax Subsidies, ZERO

Old 10-18-2017, 10:49 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,923,318 times
Quote:
Trump is using the NFL's subsidized patriotism to appease much of his fan base, who are Veterans. He probably knows that it should not be tax subsided like it has been.

The govt should not be involved politically in the NFL in any way , nor should taxpayers have to subsidize their stadiums in any way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
You have no idea what you're talking about

There is 0 federal tax subsidy for any NFL team whatsoever
Quote:
There are tax subsidies for them to build their stadiums for the respective teams.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
oh great, you're ignorant AND you have reading comprehension issues

point stands, 0 Federal Tax Subsidies, ZERO
Actually, Blake, it doesn't seem like Objective Detective ever mentioned federal subsidies. Just you.

Look at these apples.
There are no red apples
There are apples
Point stands. 0 red apples. You're an idiot.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
That's how conservatives act, and how they believe. The irony is that while they believe this and act this way, they also are trained to hate the "other side", no matter how much the "opposition" crafts legislation that helps these people.

You can't really separate these conservatives (let's call them Trump conservatives, because they are not so much conservatives as they are something else entirely) from members of any garden variety cult who has been brainwashed through years of repeated propaganda.

Those with any intellect have already broken free.
Well, it seems many self proclaimed conservatives, through religion, have been conditioned to fear rebellion. They see a player with a rebellious spirit and make him a scapegoat for the wrongs of the whites. But notice you do not see these same types of conservatives rebelling against crony-capitalism which has stripped America away from the spirit that made it great.

America was founded on rebellion. Rebellion against tyranny. I believe in conserving the Constitution, Bill of rights and Declaration of Independence, as flawed as the founding fathers may have been, which promotes liberty and justice for all, not crony-capitalism and racism.

Nobody is perfect and everything should be taken in its proper context, including the Bible.

Old 10-19-2017, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Seriously screwed up in the fact that in certain areas blacks are being slaughtered by other blacks?
White people created the culture for blacks to do this. I don't believe in the welfare state that permeates the dysfunctional American culture. Whites have enabled this to happen and made a business model of it.

The country was not founded to be a dysfunctional welfare state which has created a violent and vile culture. Football is not innocent in this regard nor are whites. Blaming blacks for indoctrinating them into a dysfunctional culture created by both 'Democrats' and 'Republicans' solves nothing. The whites had the power to enact productive change but apparently failed.

Old 10-19-2017, 07:15 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,529,215 times
Quote:
Well, it seems many self proclaimed conservatives, through religion, have been conditioned to fear rebellion. They see a player with a rebellious spirit and make him a scapegoat for the wrongs of the whites. But notice you do not see these same types of conservatives rebelling against crony-capitalism which has stripped America away from the spirit that made it great.

America was founded on rebellion. Rebellion against tyranny. I believe in conserving the Constitution, Bill of rights and Declaration of Independence, as flawed as the founding fathers may have been, which promotes liberty and justice for all, not crony-capitalism and racism.

Nobody is perfect and everything should be taken in its proper context, including the Bible.
That type of awareness and intellect, the content of your post, is absent from today’s conservatives. I’ve said for years that the Dumbing Down of America is deliberate, targeted and very effective, and the conditioning of Trump conservatives is Pavlovian. They react to the bell rung by Fox News and the myriad propaganda outlets that have them barking on command yet completely unaware of the reality surrounding them.

Old 10-19-2017, 07:36 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Quote:
White people created the culture for blacks to do this. I don't believe in the welfare state that permeates the dysfunctional American culture. Whites have enabled this to happen and made a business model of it.

The country was not founded to be a dysfunctional welfare state which has created a violent and vile culture. Football is not innocent in this regard nor are whites. Blaming blacks for indoctrinating them into a dysfunctional culture created by both 'Democrats' and 'Republicans' solves nothing. The whites had the power to enact productive change but apparently failed.
So white people need to save blacks?

Old 10-19-2017, 07:41 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,113,422 times
I watched faithfully since 1969- no longer. Total disrespect by the players- regardless whether they "mean it" or not. Goodell and the owners are too cowardly to stand up to the players. Hope the ratings, attendance and sponsors keep decreasing! Why don't they protest NFL players beating up women- I guess that cause doesn't mean much to the players!

Old 10-19-2017, 08:19 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,928,804 times
Quote:

Agree. It's entirely possible to love your Country, while also acknowledging its faults, problems, mistakes, et cetera. I'd argue demonstrating one cares enough about one's Country to endeavor to 'form a more perfect union' is striking a correct & harmonious tone for the future, i.e. love is balanced by realistic expectations.

Quote:
AUTHOR: Carl Schurz (1829–1906)
QUOTATION: The Senator from Wisconsin cannot frighten me by exclaiming, “My country, right or wrong.” In one sense I say so too. My country; and my country is the great American Republic. My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right.

ATTRIBUTION: Senator CARL SCHURZ, remarks in the Senate, February 29, 1872, The Congressional Globe, vol. 45, p. 1287. The Globe merely notes “[Manifestations of applause in the galleries]” but according to Schurz’s biographer, “The applause in the gallery was deafening.” This is “one of Schurz’s most frequently quoted replies.”—Hans L. Trefousse, Carl Schurz: A Biography, chapter 11, p. 180 (1982).

Schurz expanded on this theme in a speech delivered at the Anti-Imperialistic Conference, Chicago, Illinois, October 17, 1899: “I confidently trust that the American people will prove themselves … too wise not to detect the false pride or the dangerous ambitions or the selfish schemes which so often hide themselves under that deceptive cry of mock patriotism: ‘Our country, right or wrong!’ They will not fail to recognize that our dignity, our free institutions and the peace and welfare of this and coming generations of Americans will be secure only as we cling to the watchword of true patriotism: ‘Our country—when right to be kept right; when wrong to be put right.’ —Schurz, “The Policy of Imperialism,” Speeches, Correspondence and Political Papers of Carl Schurz, vol. 6, pp. 119–20 (1913).
1641. Carl Schurz (1829-1906). Respectfully Quoted: A Dictionary of Quotations. 1989
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies