Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 12:47 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
The community has an entitlement and chip on its shoulder that people outside looking in just don't understand. Since the majority of people can't or won't understand the African Amercian community will label everyone a racist. But the reality is the exact opposite. It really feels more like non-violent domestic terrorism to me. Besides, If you truly want change you stand up and fight. Kneeling is for those who succumb to defeat.
wow, so well said. Bravo

Old 10-23-2017, 01:54 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,328,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
This seems to be the million pound elephant in the room. With all the uproar about how suspects are treated, why is there never any mind played to why they are suspects in the first place?

-racial profiling. Blacks are more likely to be pulled over. Even when whites are more likely to have things like drugs on them, blacks are still pulled over a much higher rate.

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-...e-pulled-over/
Black and Latino drivers are searched based on less evidence and are more likely to be arrested, Stanford researchers find - LA Times
Sacramento police traffic stop data show black drivers pulled over more often | Miami Herald
Stanford: Study finds bias in police searches

I could go on.

Quote:
A lot of this movement seems to be directed at 'forgiving' transgressions or looking the other way because minorities are 'victims of society' and 'deserve' to be cut a break. But that's not how things work. In this world you get what you put into it. You need to work hard and make proper decisions, you make your own 'privilege' in life
What does this have to do with a Philando Castille that was shot after properly announcing that he was legalling carrying and the cop freaked out? What does this have to do with the black care-taker that laying on his back with his arms in the air and was still shot? What does this have to do with Walter Scott that was running away and gunned down, and the cop lied about how it all went down? Or you know, like in Fort Worth when the black mother called the police about a white man allegedly choking her son and the cop arrested her whole family and was pointing his weapon at everybody?

edit: we can even add on the times the police do stuff to white people. You know like the nurse that was arrested even though she was following the law. Or the Australian woman who was shot by the Somali cop because she "scared" him. The issue of police brutality impacts all races. Police reform would help out all races, but some of you are so petty that you want to see the boot permantly on the neck of blacks, even if it means you have to sacrifice your own in the process. I truly hope police brutality doesn't end up on your doorstep.
If you're not going to be honest about how many of these situations clearly play out, then you probably shouldn't jump into these discussions.

Old 10-23-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
-racial profiling. Blacks are more likely to be pulled over. Even when whites are more likely to have things like drugs on them, blacks are still pulled over a much higher rate.
That in itself is meaningless. For a variety of historical reasons including past discrimination and slavery, a much greater percentage of blacks are criminals than whites, even if in absolute numbers there are more white criminals than black. It would therefore be expected that a higher percentage of blacks than whites are pulled over, it's statistically normal

Old 10-23-2017, 02:10 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,203,264 times
I am against all things Cowboys, but Jerry Jones is on the money.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones says the NFL is being damaged by protests

“There is no question the league is suffering negative effects from these protests,” Jones said.

Jones was more expansive than he’s ever been regarding an acknowledgment of the concerns of the players, who are protesting racism and social injustice. He said the league can’t help in those areas in a meaningful way if it is damaged.

Jones said the players he talked to all know the NFL is being damaged. He said the Cowboys sponsors have expressed “concerns” about the anthem protests and damage to the league.

“All times, I want to do the right thing by them and their customers,” Jones said. “I have a great responsibility to the people who support us. We all get great benefits from having a lot of people watch our games. All of us do.” 

Old 10-23-2017, 03:12 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,203,264 times
More fallout... from Papa John's (near the end of the clip)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=8fYPzdVbnN0

Old 10-23-2017, 03:21 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,737,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
You have no point.

A Green Beret told Kaep kneeling is the best way. Many cops and vets back him.

Disrespect = arbitrary

No argument. No point. Move along.

Hypocrites.
I read that article too. I don't agree with it. The majority of the people don't agree with the protests. They never will agree with them. Ratings are down, revenues are down and they will continue to fall. There are two ways the NFL can straighten this out. 1. Fire Goodall. 2. Each club must stop allowing the players to dictate terms. Players work for ownership. Roder Goodall works for ownership.

Old 10-23-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
I read that article too. I don't agree with it. The majority of the people don't agree with the protests. They never will agree with them. Ratings are down, revenues are down and they will continue to fall. There are two ways the NFL can straighten this out. 1. Fire Goodall. 2. Each club must stop allowing the players to dictate terms. Players work for ownership. Roder Goodall works for ownership.
Well the networks have already done something - they are no longer showing the anthem with the players dissing the country. "Out of sight out of mind" is the current motto, but they won't be able to ignore it during the Super Bowl. You can bet Trump is going to stir the pot again while 100 million people are watching. Kaepernick is also going to keep things in the spotlight, he's going to be bagging groceries forever for his antics but he won't go quietly. I think the days of viewer growth for the NFL are over, viewership will rebound a little as this issue fades but there's a big chunk that's just not going to come back

Old 10-23-2017, 03:56 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,784,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
More fallout... from Papa John's (near the end of the clip)
Papa Johns is OK...not great, but not bad pizza.

Oh wait....are they a sponsor?? Then f*** Papa John's, & f*** the NFL and their Kneeling Players.

I just threw their Menu away. Plenty of other average Pizza Joints (& good pizza joints) that I can order from.

Old 10-23-2017, 05:01 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Papa Johns is OK...not great, but not bad pizza.

Oh wait....are they a sponsor?? Then f*** Papa John's, & f*** the NFL and their Kneeling Players.

I just threw their Menu away. Plenty of other average Pizza Joints (& good pizza joints) that I can order from.
Papa John's is horrible pizza. Plus, he treats his employees like chit and appears to be a Trump supporter.

Good on you!

Old 10-23-2017, 05:19 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
The majority of people in New Orleans didn't want Ruby to attend "their" school either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies