Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 11:05 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,928,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
White men kill cops more than anybody. And whites are more likely to have illegal contraband when stopped. But blacks are still targeted more by police. It's not hard to understand. Blacks are overpoliced to the point where every little thing is ticketed. They aren't doing that to whites.
Here's a bizarre example of over-policing:

Quote:
We spoke... with an African-American woman who has a still-pending case stemming from 2007, when, on a single occasion, she parked her car illegally. She received two citations and a $151 fine, plus fees. The woman, who experienced financial difficulties and periods of homelessness over several years, was charged with seven Failure to Appear offenses for missing court dates or fine payments on her parking tickets between 2007 and 2010. For each Failure to Appear, the court issued an arrest warrant and imposed new fines and fees.

From 2007 to 2014, the woman was arrested twice, spent six days in jail, and paid $550 to the court for the events stemming from this single instance of illegal parking. Court records show that she twice attempted to make partial payments of $25 and $50, but the court returned those payments, refusing to accept anything less than payment in full. One of those payments was later accepted, but only after the court’s letter rejecting payment by money order was returned as undeliverable. This woman is now making regular payments on the fine. As of December 2014, over seven years later, despite initially owing a $151 fine and having already paid $550, she still owed $541. ...
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...rticle/386887/

edit: bizarre use of over-policing to generate revenue.

Old 10-24-2017, 12:20 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,971,175 times
If I own a business and my employees decide to protest some cause, you better believe I have every right to fire them. What they do on their own free time is their business.

Old 10-24-2017, 01:08 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,176,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
I read that article too. I don't agree with it. The majority of the people don't agree with the protests. They never will agree with them. Ratings are down, revenues are down and they will continue to fall. There are two ways the NFL can straighten this out. 1. Fire Goodall. 2. Each club must stop allowing the players to dictate terms. Players work for ownership. Roder Goodall works for ownership.
Maybe instead of dictating what the NFL should do, you should look up the word "arbitrary".

You and the "majority" snowflakes should probably grow up and get over it. No one should have to change rules, that don't affect the game itself, to cater to a bunch of crybabies who arbitrarily decide what's disrespectful or not. I'm sure you won't even see the hypocrisy in your own post.

And once again, not a word from any boycotters who are actually going to complain about/boycott actual companies and individuals who violate flag code.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:29 PM

11,800 posts, read 5,801,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
One detail from the DOJ report:

Why are people still being incarcerated for minor violations like parking infractions or traffic tickets?

And how many traffic violations and tickets did they have? I know in our area - you don't pay a ticket it doubles - failure to pay again - your license in suspended - drive without that license - you go to jail and I'm sure that is the situation in these cases also - they just haven't spelled it out and make it seem you'll go to jail over a minor violation.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:32 PM

11,800 posts, read 5,801,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Maybe instead of dictating what the NFL should do, you should look up the word "arbitrary".

You and the "majority" snowflakes should probably grow up and get over it. No one should have to change rules, that don't affect the game itself, to cater to a bunch of crybabies who arbitrarily decide what's disrespectful or not. I'm sure you won't even see the hypocrisy in your own post.

And once again, not a word from any boycotters who are actually going to complain about/boycott actual companies and individuals who violate flag code.
I at this point don't care - stopped watching football - haven't purchased new NFL sweatshirts and tees this year and find I'm doing just fine not watching the game. And I have stopped using the products of the sponsors as well as wrote them letters. I've found alternatives to their products and it's actually saved us money - so in the long run - guess I have to thank the kneelers.

Old 10-24-2017, 03:32 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,737,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Will you please stop listening to Trump and actually listen and try to understand what this is all about. Educate yourself please. Btw, the only stadiums with empty seats are loser teams. Try watching the patriots, the redskins....the steelers....the ravens. I could go on and on with teams who have loyal followers and the stadiums are packed. But how many fans are in the beer line when the anthem is played lol Hypocritical don't you think.
The Patriots and I think the Redskins were booed hard by their fans for at least two weeks when those on the team choose to kneel.

Old 10-24-2017, 03:40 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,737,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post

Actually, we, the majority DO GET TO DECIDE. Why? Because we, the majority AKA the fans are footing the bill for the follies of the NFL and their disrespectful kneeling players. Even if I don't watch any games anymore which I don't plan on doing anytime soon, my money continues to support the NFL by subscribing to ESPN which cannot be removed from my cable package. So, no I won't get over it. Neither will anyone else until this ends with the players standing up or out of the game. I would accept either outcome.

Old 10-24-2017, 04:06 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,328,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Here's a bizarre example of over-policing:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...rticle/386887/

edit: bizarre use of over-policing to generate revenue.
Exactly. People in here acting like I'm making things up. Even with stats that show that blacks are more likely to be pulled over while whites are more likely to have contraband. Over policing is when that black woman in fort worth calls police about a white man choking her son and the cop shows up and arrests all the black people that called him for help. Or during that pool part in McKinney when that cop showed up chasing all the black kids around while the white kid filming was invisible to him. And the cop slammed a little black girl on the ground for "mouthing off".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6tTfoifB7Q

Old 10-24-2017, 04:45 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,166,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
Exactly. People in here acting like I'm making things up. Even with stats that show that blacks are more likely to be pulled over while whites are more likely to have contraband. Over policing is when that black woman in fort worth calls police about a white man choking her son and the cop shows up and arrests all the black people that called him for help. Or during that pool part in McKinney when that cop showed up chasing all the black kids around while the white kid filming was invisible to him. And the cop slammed a little black girl on the ground for "mouthing off".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6tTfoifB7Q
So you found an example.. wow. I will tell you this right now..you can find an example of about ANYTHING if you look hard enough.

Old 10-24-2017, 04:56 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,928,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
And how many traffic violations and tickets did they have? I know in our area - you don't pay a ticket it doubles - failure to pay again - your license in suspended - drive without that license - you go to jail and I'm sure that is the situation in these cases also - they just haven't spelled it out and make it seem you'll go to jail over a minor violation.
The DOJ report is in re: to Ferguson. Does this put it in perspective?

Quote:
It's worth briefly pausing, amid this parade of official misconduct, ignorance of the law, and Constitutional violations to reflect on the fact that all of them are coming out of a municipality of just 21,000 residents. You can fit 41,000 at Wrigley Field. "Between July 1, 2010, and June 30, 2014," the report states, "the City of Ferguson issued approximately 90,000 citations and summonses for municipal violations."
& wondering how you know how 'they haven't spelled it out'? Have you read their report?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies