Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 07:20 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post

Well on that I agree with you then. Nobody wants to see a person in authority overstep their bounds and get away with it.. However, it also becomes a grey line between criminals who run from police or don't comply and innocent victims. In ALMOST every case, its a lack of compliance...again I said almost.
Even then we still have a problem. Did Eric Garner comply? No, but he had no legal reason to comply. So many argue that you comply anyway when the police are violating your civil rights and fight it in court but the poor are not properly able to fight it in court and there should NEVER be a time where the police demand you cede your civil rights or get beat or killed.

Know forward and backwards what you legally can demand or go work somewhere else.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:36 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Even then we still have a problem. Did Eric Garner comply? No, but he had no legal reason to comply. So many argue that you comply anyway when the police are violating your civil rights and fight it in court but the poor are not properly able to fight it in court and there should NEVER be a time where the police demand you cede your civil rights or get beat or killed.

Know forward and backwards what you legally can demand or go work somewhere else.
And even the "fight it in court" argument fails because so often the prosecutors are friends with the cops and will not prosecute them. We've seen that happen again and again. So basically, if you don't know your rights and claim them in the moment you are pretty much screwed. And if you do claim them in the moment you are often screwed as well.

Ordinary citizens are being held hostage by law enforcement that is rarely held accountable for overstepping their authority, and in many cases we have no recourse.

That's what the protests are all about.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:46 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,166,459 times
Quote:

Eric Garner....... tough call on that one. Clearly didn't comply. But excessive force was clearly used on a man who was a blueberry muffin away from dying anyway. I think the cops needed to know there they were dealing with a very physically sick person. But AGAIN...he did not obey orders. look i don't care if you are innocent or guilty. You don't get to decide when to listen to orders. If you were held illegally then sue that cities ass off. Until then....comply.

Old 10-25-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Eric Garner....... tough call on that one. Clearly didn't comply. But excessive force was clearly used on a man who was a blueberry muffin away from dying anyway. I think the cops needed to know there they were dealing with a very physically sick person. But AGAIN...he did not obey orders. look i don't care if you are innocent or guilty. You don't get to decide when to listen to orders. If you were held illegally then sue that cities ass off. Until then....comply.
You do. You are wrong. One does NOT have to listen to unconstitutional orders. It happens quite often actually with many a police officer knowing his place and backing off.

Not to take this there as it is not about this but Nurse Wubbels refused and the vast majority of people backed her. Eric Garner refuses and the argument is, he did wrong. You surely can see where this is going.

She did not comply either.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/video-o...nt-goes-viral/

Old 10-25-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
See, that's a problem. What you are basically saying is that everyone must give up their Constitutionally-given rights to LE no matter if they are guilty or innocent. You honestly don't see a problem with that? Trust me, you would if you were the one whose rights were trampled by an overly aggressive, zealous LE who knows that his actions will likely have no consequences to him, but could have dire consequences for you.

What you have posted here goes against everything this country was founded on. Why do you want to shred the Constitution like that?

Old 10-25-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post

What you have posted here goes against everything this country was founded on. Why do you want to shred the Constitution like that?
LOL...

Last comment from me hands up ..obey the commands and everything will work out.

If you feel you were unjustly arrested then you will hopefully get justice. Innocent people being stopped or arrested is terrible and should be clearly addressed. But you know what? Most of the stories we hear are because criminals simple would not comply. Boo hoo.

Old 10-25-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
LOL...

If you feel you were unjustly arrested then you will hopefully get justice. Innocent people being stopped or arrested is terrible and should be clearly addressed. But you know what? Most of the stories we hear are because criminals simple would not comply. Boo hoo.
You will hopefully get justice? Have you been living in a cave? Have you not been paying attention to how often LE gets a pass? There have been a myriad of threads right here on C-D about how often prosecutors let their LE pals off without consequence. Or how often the police departments will hold their own internal investigations and--surprise, surprise!--find no wrongdoing.

Admit it, you want a police state, where the police can assume everyone is guilty until proven otherwise and are allowed to treat us all that way. That's exactly what you are advocating.

Go ahead and smack your head a few more times. Maybe you'll smack some sense into it.

Old 10-25-2017, 01:17 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,487,964 times
My mother - a 69 year old law abiding woman who has NEVER been in trouble with the law and was brought up "old school" when it comes to authority figures - was recently pulled over (on her way home from church even) for no reason by a state trooper. She was not speeding or doing anything that would attract the attention of law enforcement. We're talking about a petite church lady going home along a dark, deserted road and being confronted by a police vehicle. When he pulled up behind her, she didn't put two and two together that he was trying to pull her over since she wasn't speeding and there was nothing wrong with her car. She moved to the other lane to allow him to pass and pursue whatever vehicle he was going after. He moved to the lane she was in. she still didn't think that he would be tailing her - (seriously, why her of all people? she's driving a honda civic of all cars) - so she again moved to the other lane to let him pass. he moved behind her again and that's when she realized that she was his target. Since it was a dark road and she was senior and by herself, she pulled into a well lit gas station a little further down to settle things. The officer pulled into the gas station and approached her vehicle.

For the next fifteen minutes, she was subjected to discourteous, belligerent behavior by the officer who ultimately issued her a citation for moving from lane to lane. He admitted that her reason was very plausible but still gave her a citation. He did not disclose why he specifically pulled up behind her in the first place. My mother was very stressed that night and didn't get any sleep. She had never received citations before - again, we're talking about a mild mannered senior here - and the treatment she received by a man who was young enough to be her son left her feeling very upset. Especially when she was respectful to the officer.

Many will chalk this up as a lone ******* cop...but that doesn't explain why she caught his attention in the first place. Her driving was not erratic or fast. Driving while minority is very real whether people want to admit it or not.

Old 10-25-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
LOL...

She obeys the commands, is still arrested and the officer LIES about what happened.

WATCH: Cowardly Cop Cuffs Innocent Woman Claiming She 'Used Her ID as a WEAPON'

This has to stop.

Old 10-25-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
She obeys the commands, is still arrested and the officer LIES about what happened.

WATCH: Cowardly Cop Cuffs Innocent Woman Claiming She 'Used Her ID as a WEAPON'

This has to stop.
Yes..yes I get it ..cops make bad moves. They should be punished and hopefully will be. I can also show you 1000 times when nothing happens...shall we review those?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies