Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 04:27 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,437,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Objective Detective View Post
What exactly is the point of "loving your country" if your country is seriously screwed up? I get that if you have a troubled child or family member should love them even if they behave badly, but it does not mean that you should condone their bad issues or even your own, because their issues could possibly be an effect or related to your issues. Those are family matters which are very important.

But loving your country for the sake of loving your country without thought your countries behavior and history and how it has affected your life and others seems rather pointless.
I love this country because it's mine. If you have the mentality of "what can my country do for me?" then indeed your love for your country will tend to be more conditional in nature. On the other hand, my love for this country is not predicated on politics. In fact, there are very many things about politics in this country that I dislike. I would contend my idea of the proper basis for loving your country is the healthier one.

Old 10-19-2017, 07:57 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,737,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
You could club a baby seal at midfield before the game and I'd still watch the NFL.
What if the NFL players clubbed a ***** drug her out to midfield and both teams started running a train on her during halftime. Would you be ok with that too? Would you still watch the NFL?

Old 10-19-2017, 08:18 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,498,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
What if the NFL players clubbed a ***** drug her out to midfield and both teams started running a train on her during halftime. Would you be ok with that too? Would you still watch the NFL?

Well before any ones answer the following questions

1. Are you okay with celebrities " grabbing the *****" of women?
2. Are you okay with a POTUS that gets five deferments to avoid the draft and then questions others patriotism?
3. Are you okay with a POTIS that was found guilty of housing discrimination?
4, Are you okay with a POTIS that abused the bankruptcy laws six time to defraud creditors.
5. Are you okay with a POTUS creating a fraudulent university.

I could go on. Integrity and character will never be on your side as long as you back Trump.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:30 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,529,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post

2. Are you okay with a POTUS that gets five deferments to avoid the draft and then questions others patriotism?
4, Are you okay with a POTIS that abused the bankruptcy laws six time to defraud creditors.

I could go on. Integrity and character will never be on your side as long as you back Trump.
Nailed it. I think I see a white flag.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:09 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,725,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
You're an idiot.
You forgot to pass by the mirror before you spoke

Trump is the president of the United States, the head of the federal gov't. There are no Federal tax subsidies to the NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Objective Detective View Post
Trump is using the NFL's subsidized patriotism to appease much of his fan base, who are Veterans. He probably knows that it should not be tax subsided like it has been.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post

Not without premisson

Medical deferments happen all the time. My Father received one because he was born blind in one eye.

In the 70's if you held a realtors license in NY State the department of state was investigating you. If your books had an I dotted or T crossed differently in a file then others you were believed to be guilty of discrimination. You ever hear the phrase you can;t fight city hall? You cut a deal pay a fine and move on. Which is what Trump and hundreds of others in the construction and Real Estate business did.

Abuse is inaccurate. Trump as businessman used the system that was put in place by lawmakers to his advantage.

Trump University was a disappointment and has been an eye opener for-profit schools that prey on peoples hopes of achieving the American dream.

Please, go on. Because I have the correct answer for everything. Don't question my integrity when you don't know the definition without looking up the word.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Agree. It's entirely possible to love your Country, while also acknowledging its faults, problems, mistakes, et cetera. I'd argue demonstrating one cares enough about one's Country to endeavor to 'form a more perfect union' is striking a correct & harmonious tone for the future, i.e. love is balanced by realistic expectations.

1641. Carl Schurz (1829-1906). Respectfully Quoted: A Dictionary of Quotations. 1989
The flip side of that coin is that people get behind protests under false pretenses and most don't even know or care what they are protesting about. They just want to be part of something because they are weak minded an incapable of leading themselves and need to be told what to believe in what to fight for. Even if it's wholly, or partially based on a lie.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
You forgot to pass by the mirror before you spoke

Trump is the president of the United States, the head of the federal gov't. There are no Federal tax subsidies to the NFL
With the Exception of the Dallas Cowboys, all new stadiums have been paid for by issuing municipal bonds and receive huge property tax breaks. It's corporate welfare.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:44 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,725,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
With the Exception of the Dallas Cowboys, all new stadiums have been paid for by issuing municipal bonds and receive huge property tax breaks. It's corporate welfare.
Not Federal

Old 10-19-2017, 09:45 PM

Well if that is the line in the sand nothing will get accomplished. Bennet may as well dressed in leather and gave the Black Panthers fist salute because by issuing this ultimatum he has become nothing more than a domestic terrorist. Give me what I want before I will discuss terms is how every terrorist organization has operated from the beginning of time. Terminate the contracts of all these son's of ******* now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies