Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 10:10 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,501,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Tell that to the entire state of Wisconsin who cannot find a single American to even apply to milk the cows to make their famous cheese.

I think the economic activity around their cheese is in the billions.

Their entire way of life has been going on this way for many decades...and so your answer is to just close up the shop, sell the cattle and sell the farm?

Americans won't milk them for $20 an hour. Even at higher wages they will likely start and then fail to show up.

Your simplistic answers are not going to MAGA. In fact, they are a disaster for the very people who voted for Trump....let alone the USA as a whole.

They were interviewing one large Wis. farmer on the radio and he has NEVER had a single American apply - never.

Maybe at $50 per hour some people will show up...whether they do a good job, stay off drugs and booze and actually find a place to live out in the sticks is another thing. No one can run a business that way.

I guess we just let Wis. fail and import our cheese from Europe, eh?
I take it you've never been to a modern dairy farm.

Hate to burst your bubble...
The days of putting a bucket and squeezing utters are over...

You drive the cows in the barn, into a stall, hook pumps up flip a switch and move down the row. Had a few friends who owned farms in NY... they supplied Stewart's for milk for resale and for their ice cream
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 10:12 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,501,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
So breaking the law is your answer? I'm a wheat farmer. Most of my buddies "lost the farm" if they couldn't cut it. The rest of us made it.

We aren't responsible for your failed attempt.
That's ok. They've never been to a modern dairy farm... they're under the impression it's still done in old timey movies where you grab a stool and squeeze utters...

Old 08-10-2017, 10:18 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,908,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
oh God..and I walked 10 miles in the snow to school when I was five. Seriously, 99% of the people on welfare are women with children, do you really think they are capable of doing stoop labor? Do you think that welfare kids should be required to do farm labor when it's illegal for other kids under 14 to work? Who will take them to the fields, or should they walk? Should they carry their babies on their back or do you think the Government should provide childcare?
Waaah waaaah waaah

Old 08-11-2017, 06:54 AM

73,041 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NekoLogic View Post
They said the same thing about gas prices and oil. Then the oil prices crash and made the high expense of developing alternative energy sources for oil and gas non cost effective. I will take a wait and see approach. Personally, I would rather pay more for produce harvested by legal workers. Legal workers being H-A2 or Americans. The farm trick might have worked in the past, but now politicians, farmers, and big business that support illegal workers don't get the benefit the doubt.
That is only because technology changed. Oil became cheaper because of hydraulic fracturing. More oil being pulled out of the ground. And alternative energy is still being worked on to become more cost effective. The thing is this. Oil and food work differently. Oil is pretty much the #1 way to fuel automobiles. Fresh fruits and vegetables are another matter. Alot of middle-upper class people will pay more because they can. Middle class people will feel the pinch more. Working class even more so. If the price for fresh fruits/vegetables goes up, many people will go to more packaged foods. Some people will just eat less.

You might be willing to pay more. I'm saying many people are not willing to pay more. Alot of people will not spend extra. Many people are more concerned about their own money than principle. That is simply the way it is.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:00 AM

73,041 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Waaah waaaah waaah
Do you have anything better to offer than histrionics and petulant retorts?

Old 08-11-2017, 07:08 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
uh oh 3 not gonna make it to work today

3 killed, 1 hurt when Border Patrol pursuit ends in rollover crash | fox5sandiego.com

Old 08-11-2017, 08:56 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Oh but it is a partisan issue when discussing illegals picking crops and CA which is what this thread is suppose to be about.
CA which everyone knows is now totally controlled by democrats and liberals will do everything in it's power to promote the continued flow of illegal aliens including law suit after law suit against the Federal government. The state has no interest in promoting the use of visas for temporary farm workers nor any interest in trying to curtail the use of illegals picking crops, mowing lawns, washing dishes in restaurants, working as maids and nannies and in the construction industry. That's reality in California.
There are a lot of Republicans in California and I am a 3rd generation Californian, so please don't claim you have some special knowledge of California that I don't have. There are a number of farmers in California who use H2A visas, but the program sucks - I've posted several links about it on this and other threads, read them or go look it up yourself. And the majority of farm labor in California (66%) are either citizens or H2A visa holders, in Nevada 44% of the farm labor workforce is undocumented, so why don't you go to the Nevada forum and start your rant there, they must be even worse than California in "promoting the continued flow of illegals" Huh?

And the reality in California is the same as for the rest of the US, if employers keep hiring people who do not have a legal right to be here, they will keep coming here.

And please list the lawsuits that California has filed in order to keep illegal immigrants "flowing" because I have no idea what you are even talking about.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:37 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times

Old 08-11-2017, 10:01 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
If your business model depends on paying less than a market wage, your business deserves to fail.
My thoughts exactly.

So the slave wage labor market is drying up? Boo hoo.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:10 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,908,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
My thoughts exactly.

So the slave wage labor market is drying up? Boo hoo.

Were there really that many slaves sending hundreds of dollars back to Africa in the 1800s?? I guess I missed that part of history class....

(Because that's what all the broccoli pickers and field hands around here doing, for their families back home in Mexico...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies