Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2017, 03:51 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
sorry been trying for years to get a bill. Republicans have said two very reasonable things.
1. illegals don't become citizens.
2. we do serious work in ending illegal immigration before we make a formal decision on what to do with those illegals here.

The reason for that second part was that Republicans during Reagan, made a deal with the democrats to give legal status to almost all of the illegals in the country with the understanding that Democrats would work with republicans to end illegal immigration. Dems took the first, and refused to do a blessed thing about the second.
Republicans are the only ones who can get legislation introduced, where's the comprehensive, workable guest worker bill? And don't act like Reagan was some kind of 'victim' of Democrats, here is what he said about immigration in 1980:

"Rather than talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems? Make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit, and then, while they’re working and earning here, they’d pay taxes here. And when they want to go back, they can go back. They can cross. Open the borders both ways." https://goplifer.com/2014/11/22/what...a-border-wall/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 03:56 PM

17,347 posts, read 11,293,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
California, the state conservatives love to hate...It's always all about California isn't it?

"The study found that 44 percent of farmworkers in Nevada and Washington are undocumented, while 43 percent of farmworkers in Idaho are undocumented. Nationally, Pew found that about 26 percent of farmworkers are undocumented immigrants. Undocumented workers make up an even higher percentage of seasonal workers — more than half of the 2.5 million, according to Farmworker Justice. "

% of undocumented farm labor by state

Nevada 44%
Washington 44%
Idaho 43%
Arizona 38%
California 34%
Colorado 32%

Appendix A: State Maps and Tables | Pew Research Center
I live in and grew up in CA so don't tell me about hating this state. What I don't like is it's one sided, one party dominated politics.
Those are nice statistics but it doesn't change the fact that CA is the largest producer of crops in the U.S., not any of the states you listed and especially not Nevada. Percentages are nice to display though. It doesn't however give you actual numbers.

Old 08-10-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I live in and grew up in CA so don't tell me about hating this state. What I don't like is it's one sided, one party dominated politics.
Those are nice statistics but it doesn't change the fact that CA is the largest producer of crops in the U.S., not any of the states you listed and especially not Nevada. Percentages are nice to display though. It doesn't however give you actual numbers.
This is just getting silly, I'm going to leave it right here.

Old 08-10-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upgrader View Post
According to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H-2A_Visa
the employer has to pay for some form of housing and meals. Appears the guest worker costs the employer more than a local.
Nevertheless, according to
Government Confirms A Surge In Foreign Guest Workers On U.S. Farms : The Salt : NPR
there is a surge of legal temporary workers.
I can see why a farmer would look the other way and employ someone local.
A sad state of affairs....
H2A is a mess, you have to mail in the application and at times they just get lost. Farmers aren't notified on the status of their application and the process has to be started far in advance of harvest, so farmers have to 'guess' how many workers they need. If they hire too many they have to pay them for 3/4 of their wages for the duration of the contract, so if you contract for 20 workers for a 16 week contract and you only need 10 you have to pay the other 10 their full wages for 12 weeks, that's crazy. For God's sake it's 2017 you would think we could at least do this electronically and in a timely manner.

Ag industry says visa program for farm labor again facing slowdowns | Investigate Midwest

Old 08-10-2017, 04:51 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
I love all of these stats when we don't even know how many are here. Ridiculous assertions.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:13 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,697,869 times
Quote:
Are you serious? This isn't a partisan issue I think most people want the feds to implement a workable guest worker program, I know that I do and my relatives who farm have been begging for a good guest worker program for decades.

So, you tell me - why don't we have one? Did democrats kill the guest worker program proposed by Trump and the Republicans? Oh..never mind they didn't propose one
We don't need a guest worker program. We just need farmers to pay a fair wage. Millions of Americans would pick these crops just liked they used to do if farmers would pay up. Instead they want to use slave labor and profit offa the backs of poor folk.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
We don't need a guest worker program. We just need farmers to pay a fair wage. Millions of Americans would pick these crops just liked they used to do if farmers would pay up. Instead they want to use slave labor and profit offa the backs of poor folk.
When is the last time that "millions of Americans" picked crops? Are you even aware that farm labor is seasonal? Citizens are very unlikely to 'follow the harvest' like migrant labor has always done.
FRONTLINE/World Mexico: Border Timeline | PBS

The only time I can find any evidence of large numbers of citizens doing farm labor was during the depression, when there was a large migration from the midwestern dust bowl states, but since then there has never been a time when citizens have willingly done stoop labor and I can't envision any circumstances that would change that.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:54 PM

939 posts, read 788,914 times
No matter how little they were making, now it's $00000.00

They will have to do something for money.

If they're even somewhat agriculturally savvy, but they can't work dealing with the legal crops....

Old 08-10-2017, 06:14 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,589,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Illegal immigration crack down or legal immigration crack down?
Excellent point. What about all of those guest workers? Aren't they enough to pick the crops or will crops rot without exploiting illegals?

Old 08-10-2017, 06:23 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,912,063 times
Quote:
I used to have to help butcher chickens and pluck them when I was a kid...never again. And you're right, no one wants to work in poultry processing plants, it's horrible work. It's all done on an ever moving assembly line that moves so fast that chickens go halfway through the process alive because someone down the line missed the kill. And poultry processing plants love undocumented workers, they don't complain, ask for time off & they will take $500 for an accident rather than filing a comp claim.

Some processing plants are hiring refugees, but they treat them as poorly as they do undocumented people & they leave as soon as they can. It's clear the people who have options will never work in these places.

"In a report issued last year called "No Relief," Oxfam charged that workers at the four largest U.S. poultry companies — Tyson Foods, Sanderson Farms, Perdue Farms and Pilgrim's Pride — are routinely denied bathroom breaks, forcing some to wear adult diapers to work and others to urinate on themselves in order to avoid retribution from supervisors."

The machine “literally ripped off his left leg,” medical reports said, leaving it hanging by a frayed ligament and a five-inch flap of skin. Osiel was rushed to Mercy Medical Center, where surgeons amputated his lower leg. He got the job at Case Farms with a driver’s license that said his name was Francisco Sepulveda, age twenty-eight. The photograph on the I.D. was of his older brother, who looked nothing like him, but nobody asked any questions. Back at the plant, Osiel’s supervisors hurriedly demanded workers’ identification papers... Within days, Osiel and several others—all underage and undocumented—were fired.

And you can bet that DHS under Trump will not be doing raids looking for "illegal immigrants" at Tyson chicken any time soon. Trump's deportation talk is just that - talk. Pick off a few people here and there and give a press release, then turn a blind eye to the corporations who hire, and want to keep hiring, the vast majority of undocumented people.
The truth comes out: many companies LIKE slave labor. That's right: people who wanna protect illegal aliens ain't any better than people who like slavery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies