Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2017, 02:36 PM

42,864 posts, read 26,350,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
but because our progressive friends don't want a solution, we now have fields with rotting food. Thank you left.
Are you serious? This isn't a partisan issue I think most people want the feds to implement a workable guest worker program, I know that I do and my relatives who farm have been begging for a good guest worker program for decades.

So, you tell me - why don't we have one? Did democrats kill the guest worker program proposed by Trump and the Republicans? Oh..never mind they didn't propose one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 02:37 PM

63,014 posts, read 29,216,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
so we have exposed yet another terrible reality that illegal immigration causes.. The fact is, having illegals isn't an answer its clearly the problem. .

if we didn't have illegals at all these crops wouldn't be rotting in the fields, we would have real pipelines for legal residents to get to this work.

And if we could not find enough workers, we would have solved that with a guest worker program to solve the problem.

but because our progressive friends don't want a solution, we now have fields with rotting food. Thank you left.

Actually, there are already unlimited H-2A guest worker visas for legal, foreign field workers. It's just that some greedy growers use illegals instead so they can increase their profits. It's not a career job for Americans as it is too physically demanding, the body can't tolerate it for years and is only seasonal work. Many Americans don't live in rural areas either.

Old 08-10-2017, 02:44 PM

810 posts, read 668,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesserSeneca View Post
PEARANOIA.

This again? Every year with these people.

2004 - California, Raisins, Olives

2006 - Pickers Are Few, and Growers Blame Congress

2010 - A Shortage of Mexican Laborers Threatens Arizona Farming

2012 - A rancid harvest for Georgia’s farmers

2013 - Farmers scrambling to find harvest labor

2015 - On U.S. Farms, Fewer Hands for the Harvest

More Data on The Phony Farm Labor Crisis
liberals put the phony news out and their like minded lemmings share it

Old 08-10-2017, 02:56 PM

17,354 posts, read 11,316,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Are you serious? This isn't a partisan issue I think most people want the feds to implement a workable guest worker program, I know that I do and my relatives who farm have been begging for a good guest worker program for decades.

So, you tell me - why don't we have one? Did democrats kill the guest worker program proposed by Trump and the Republicans? Oh..never mind they didn't propose one
Oh but it is a partisan issue when discussing illegals picking crops and CA which is what this thread is suppose to be about.
CA which everyone knows is now totally controlled by democrats and liberals will do everything in it's power to promote the continued flow of illegal aliens including law suit after law suit against the Federal government. The state has no interest in promoting the use of visas for temporary farm workers nor any interest in trying to curtail the use of illegals picking crops, mowing lawns, washing dishes in restaurants, working as maids and nannies and in the construction industry. That's reality in California.

Old 08-10-2017, 03:10 PM

809 posts, read 748,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Actually, there are already unlimited H-2A guest worker visas for legal, foreign field workers. It's just that some greedy growers use illegals instead so they can increase their profits. It's not a career job for Americans as it is too physically demanding, the body can't tolerate it for years and is only seasonal work. Many Americans don't live in rural areas either.
According to

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H-2A_Visa

the employer has to pay for some form of housing and meals. Appears the guest worker costs the employer more than a local.

Nevertheless, according to

Government Confirms A Surge In Foreign Guest Workers On U.S. Farms : The Salt : NPR

there is a surge of legal temporary workers.

I can see why a farmer would look the other way and employ someone local.

A sad state of affairs....

Old 08-10-2017, 03:21 PM

42,864 posts, read 26,350,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Oh but it is a partisan issue when discussing illegals picking crops and CA which is what this thread is suppose to be about.
CA which everyone knows is now totally controlled by democrats and liberals will do everything in it's power to promote the continued flow of illegal aliens including law suit after law suit against the Federal government. The state has no interest in promoting the use of visas for temporary farm workers nor any interest in trying to curtail the use of illegals picking crops, mowing lawns, washing dishes in restaurants, working as maids and nannies and in the construction industry. That's reality in California.
California, the state conservatives love to hate...It's always all about California isn't it?

"The study found that 44 percent of farmworkers in Nevada and Washington are undocumented, while 43 percent of farmworkers in Idaho are undocumented. Nationally, Pew found that about 26 percent of farmworkers are undocumented immigrants. Undocumented workers make up an even higher percentage of seasonal workers — more than half of the 2.5 million, according to Farmworker Justice. "

% of undocumented farm labor by state

Nevada 44%
Washington 44%
Idaho 43%
Arizona 38%
California 34%
Colorado 32%

Appendix A: State Maps and Tables | Pew Research Center

Old 08-10-2017, 03:24 PM

20,484 posts, read 12,409,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post

sorry been trying for years to get a bill. Republicans have said two very reasonable things.
1. illegals don't become citizens.
2. we do serious work in ending illegal immigration before we make a formal decision on what to do with those illegals here.

The reason for that second part was that Republicans during Reagan, made a deal with the democrats to give legal status to almost all of the illegals in the country with the understanding that Democrats would work with republicans to end illegal immigration. Dems took the first, and refused to do a blessed thing about the second.

those are utterly reasonable positions by the republicans. It blocked any serious effort for the last 8 years.

This problem exists because of illegal immigration has not been dealt with and that exists because the left has done NOTHING THEY SAID THEY WOULD.

Old 08-10-2017, 03:26 PM

20,484 posts, read 12,409,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
and still we are at this point where the actions by Donald Trump to stem the flow has exposed one of the big problems caused by illegal immigration. II caused this mess. stopping II will give us a clear view of what needs to be done to get crops from the field to the table.

Old 08-10-2017, 03:33 PM

35,753 posts, read 21,113,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
You can't talk about picking crops in CA without talking about illegals from Mexico. The two things are tied together in a big way in that the vast majority of illegals who pick crops in this state are from Mexico, not Haiti nor any other country. This discussion is about CA, not Florida.
Hello. Migrant workers travel for crop picking. Calif n fla closer than you think when it comes to agriculture. Rt# I-10 is hot... Ask the troopers

Old 08-10-2017, 03:47 PM

17,354 posts, read 11,316,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Hello. Migrant workers travel for crop picking. Calif n fla closer than you think when it comes to agriculture. Rt# I-10 is hot... Ask the troopers
Hello, did I say migrants don't travel to pick crops? Please show me where I said that. What does that have to do with CA and CA crops which is the topic of this discussion? It doesn't change the fact that the vast majority of illegal agriculture workers in CA are from Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies