Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 03:54 PM

17,344 posts, read 11,289,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
ITYM, "raise your prices."
This also applies to customers - be ready to pay more.
Same if you don't like Chinese imports, expect to pay up.
Why is it not many people, especially the left has too many problems with paying higher amounts of money for new cars, college education, going out to eat at fancy restaurants, going to Disneyworld for vacation, more for rent and and housing costs, but when it comes to higher prices for vegetables that's where they draw the line, LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 04:10 PM

4,582 posts, read 3,410,316 times
As usual: "but a $15/hr minimum wage will only raise fast food prices, there is no reason anyone should have a problem with that" along with "but, but getting rid of illegals will raise grocery prices by 15%, why do we want to starve the poor". All coming from the same people at the same time.

Old 08-09-2017, 04:12 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,914,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
As usual: "but a $15/hr minimum wage will only raise fast food prices, there is no reason anyone should have a problem with that" along with "but, but getting rid of illegals will raise grocery prices by 15%, why do we want to starve the poor". All coming from the same people at the same time.
I challenge you to find these people. Ideally with quotes.

Shouldn't be so hard since this is the Internet, and the it never "forgets".

Old 08-09-2017, 04:13 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,914,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Why is it not many people, especially the left has too many problems with paying higher amounts of money for new cars, college education, going out to eat at fancy restaurants, going to Disneyworld for vacation, more for rent and and housing costs, but when it comes to higher prices for vegetables that's where they draw the line, LOL
I don't know where you are getting this - who has said this?

I, persoanlly, DO pay higher prices for produce - I actually make a point to seek out produce grown locally from farms that don't have illegal workers AND who pay their workers fair/living wages.

If you're wondering why price is coming up - it's because it is an important point in wanting legal/fair/living wages. Want those things? GREAT! I do too! Just be aware that you will pay more for food. Because that is the reality of that choice.

Also, we need to be realistic - companies will do whatever they can to find cheaper labor/cheaper ways to make or produce their goods. They just will - history has shown us this time and again. With that reality in mind, how do we address this? And keep these jobs in America???

I'm looking for a serious discussion - please keep political tropes/stereotypes out of this. And please address words I have written.

Old 08-09-2017, 04:13 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Who is "spinning"?

It's really quite simple. Honest farmers who use the agricultural guest worker visa (which has no caps on it) have no problems getting their crops picked. It's the sleazy farmers who refuse to use the visa program and instead opt for cheap, exploitable, illegal labor who have problems when the illegals freak out and scurry away. Those sleazy farmers reaped what they have sown.

So, what exactly, are you having trouble comprehending?

This might help you out:

https://www.cnbc.com/id/49110815
This is only partly true. The farmers who use the guest program have lots of difficulty getting the folks they need because the visa process takes so long and is so complicated.

There's no fast lane for those who want the ag visas; those who do have to undergo the same overlong, tortuous process all 'non-skilled' applicants have to go through.

Getting a visa is a lot easier for a person who is highly educated, is from the right country, or has some money. But if a person is poor and has little education, and doesn't have a fat back account, they have a very hard time coming when they are needed and going back home when they're not.

Not all the farmers who hire illegals are sleazy. By a long shot. Those who are don't know squat about farming anyway, so they always lose the farm in the end.

I've seem some in action, and a crook is a crook. If they cheat their workers, they will leave a good farm in ruins, take off in the middle of the night, and leave the mess for the bank to try to clean up. They drive away in a Cadillac, but the roof on the farmhouse is always leaking and about to cave in.
That's the kind of people they are.

I live in farm country where good farmers know a good farm worker when they see one, and around here, when a good farmer has a good farm hand, he won't cheat him or exploit him; if that guy leaves, they both lose money.

Iv'e known many farmers who have done everything they can do to expedite work visas for their people. Many have gone the extra mile, and done what they could do to help those who want become citizens, and those who want to go back home can be allowed to come back to the same farm, over and over, working the crops when they're needed and return when they are not.

There are hundreds of farmers who have hired the same people year after year for decades, illegal or not. In the past, if a farm hand couldn't get a visa, just a note from the farmer was enough evidence to get them through the border, followed by a check-up after they arrived.

Families would come up to work our crops, go back to Mexico, and show up like clockwork the following year. A farmer who needed more help would call across the border and see if those folks had some cousins who wanted to join them.

They all get to know each other. It's a kind of mutual dependence that builds respect and friendships. And for years, it was no big deal.

We don't need a wall.
We need a quicker, smoother and easier way to allow those who want to work a way to get here on time for the job to be done. And then let them do their work without the need for looking over their shoulders for the immigration agents. And let them go home and come back in peace before planting time next year.

It's not hard. All it takes is some cooperation and a willingness to make it happen. Any citizen who wants a job still has a leg up on any immigrant- citizens can go seek farm work anytime they want with no hassles at all.

Old 08-09-2017, 04:15 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
lol yep they have automated just about all they an automate but a number of other crops need to be hand harvested.

Old 08-09-2017, 04:24 PM

62,971 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
$13 million in losses so far this year, in two counties aline

Immigration: California Crops Rot During Farmworker Shortage | Fortune.com

Why would there be a farm worker shortage when there are the unlimited H-2A visas they can use for legal foreign workers? Greed likely, and they and their illegal workers are feeling the heat of enforcement of our immigration laws and they don't like it. Tough!

Old 08-09-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Wait...I thought illegals were taking our jobs, and murdering and raping our people...

You mean...they just wanted to pick fruit for crap pay in extreme heat 6 days a week?!

Nice try. Only 2% of illegals are picking crops. The rest have taken jobs from Americans by working for less. There are a large number of them doing construction work. Are those jobs Americans refuse to do? Some illegals are murdering and raping so what's your point?

Old 08-09-2017, 04:29 PM

17,344 posts, read 11,289,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I don't know where you are getting this - who has said this?

I, persoanlly, DO pay higher prices for produce - I actually make a point to seek out produce grown locally from farms that don't have illegal workers AND who pay their workers fair/living wages.

If you're wondering why price is coming up - it's because it is an important point in wanting legal/fair/living wages. Want those things? GREAT! I do too! Just be aware that you will pay more for food. Because that is the reality of that choice.

Also, we need to be realistic - companies will do whatever they can to find cheaper labor/cheaper ways to make or produce their goods. They just will - history has shown us this time and again. With that reality in mind, how do we address this? And keep these jobs in America???

I'm looking for a serious discussion - please keep political tropes/stereotypes out of this. And please address words I have written.
Did I address you personally? I don't see where I did. BTW, political stereotypes play a large role in this since it's traditionally been the left that scream the loudest about having to following immigration laws and crying about more expensive produce.
I'm having a serious discussion. Maybe you don't like it much, but it's a serious discussion.

Old 08-09-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
I say this all the time. Personally I'll live if produce goes up a bit, especially if the exchange in California means less traffic on the road

Not to mention the exchange of the $113 billion a year that illegals cost us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies