Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 01:50 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Maybe Big Ag should pay higher wages to attract workers. Capitalism 101.

Isn't it amazing how capitalism is the greatest thing in the world until it negatively affects big business?
You've noticed that too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 01:50 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
^ This

If you can't hire at a rate, raise your rate. If you can't make money, tough.
they are raising consumer prices in order to overpay the employees. We scrapped our renovation projects due to price increases lately

Old 08-09-2017, 01:51 PM

19,626 posts, read 12,218,208 times
They can make robots for everything but crop picking???... How about we eliminate those jobs.

Old 08-09-2017, 01:54 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,274,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The truth is, most people aren't willing to pay more. Welcome to "look out for #1 and forget everyone else" in this regard. I think the reason we don't see more Americans/legal people working in the farms

1) For the pay farmers are willing to pay, it isn't enough for the average citizen/legal worker
2) Average American isn't willing to pay that cost. Many Americans eat fewer fresh fruits and vegetables than they should be eating. Why? It's considered cheaper.
Not willing to pay more? Is that what happens when beef goes up 50% too? Have you noticed how the price of new cars has gone way up in the last few years, yet people don't seem to complain about that or not buy themselves new cars. No one is making them buy the produce if they don't want to pay higher prices. What they want is beside the point and irrelevant.

1) It's not about what the farmers are willing to pay. There are laws stating what one must pay. Now they ignore those laws and hire slave labor from Mexico.
2) Then eat fewer vegetables, grow some of your own, or buy from a local farmers market. Stop making excuses.

Old 08-09-2017, 01:57 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
They can make robots for everything but crop picking???... How about we eliminate those jobs.
Depends on the crop.

Crops like potatoes and grain are already harvested by machines, many of them "smart".

Total automation of other crops, especially fruit, is more problematic.

Old 08-09-2017, 01:59 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,306,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
If your business model depends on paying less than a market wage, your business deserves to fail.
I say this all the time. Personally I'll live if produce goes up a bit, especially if the exchange in California means less traffic on the road

Old 08-09-2017, 01:59 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,301,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
$13 million in losses so far this year, in two counties aline

Immigration: California Crops Rot During Farmworker Shortage | Fortune.com
Wait! How can this be? I thought CA was a "sanctuary state" and Gov. Brown was not going to comply with Trump's "immigration reform?"

Of course, no one seems concerned that for at least the past 20 years, maybe longer, the cutting off of water to California farmlands has resulted in losses to California farmers. That's different, I suppose.

Old 08-09-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Wait...I thought illegals were taking our jobs, and murdering and raping our people...

You mean...they just wanted to pick fruit for crap pay in extreme heat 6 days a week?!
It isn't "crap pay" to them. It's more then they earn in Mexico.

Old 08-09-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
If your business model depends on paying less than a market wage, your business deserves to fail.
What do you know about "market wage" for farm workers? I suspect they are getting "market wage."

Old 08-09-2017, 02:06 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Not willing to pay more? Is that what happens when beef goes up 50% too? No one is making them buy the produce if they don't want to pay higher prices. What they want is beside the point and irrelevant.

1) It's not about what the farmers are willing to pay. There are laws stating what one must pay. Now they ignore those laws and hire slave labor from Mexico.
2) Then eat fewer vegetables, grow some of your own, or buy from a local farmers market. Stop making excuses.
I can only rep you once and since I just did yet you keep saying everything exactly right, I'll just comment here:

I would like to know how anyone on the left can be ok with the fact that the illegals are out there in the hot sun for far more hours than is legal, bent over picking crops which is going to hurt your back after awhile no matter what age you are and how healthy you might be, and their living accommodations are tiny little shacks or huts, if they are lucky to have a building, many get tents, the ones I saw when I lived in WA state didn't even have glass where the windows were, and no a/c in the summer despite it being in Eastern WA which is hotter than hell for the west coast, they share those shacks or huts or tents with multiple people....

It's a really horrible way to treat people, it IS near slavery...so how the hell can anyone on the left who opposes slavery, or you liberal whites who enjoy your white guilt so much because of slavery in the past, how can you actually support this?

Do you hear yourselves? What's the first thing that you talk about? The price of fruits and vegetables will go up.

Not a damn bit of concern for the way these people are being treated, NO, you might have to pay 10 cents more for an apple. OH BOO HOO.

You're not going to be paying more for an apple, or any other produce for that matter because as was proven on page 1, this story gets trotted out almost every single year. I just went to the store today, IN CALIFORNIA. The produce was no differently priced than it normally is, it was well stocked full, there were a few sales, but not a thing was different. For all the rotting produce on the ground, doesn't seem to have affected the store at all.

Oh, and I'm way ahead of you on the "maybe it was shipped from somewhere else"...a habit I've had since I was a kid is to look at the boxes with the logos and the names and location of the growers. Since I went early, the produce guys were out with their carts restocking the surprisingly busy store this morning. I got to look at a lot of boxes. Much of that produce was from right here in CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Wait! How can this be? I thought CA was a "sanctuary state" and Gov. Brown was not going to comply with Trump's "immigration reform?"

Of course, no one seems concerned that for at least the past 20 years, maybe longer, the cutting off of water to California farmlands has resulted in losses to California farmers. That's different, I suppose.
The left doesn't like to talk about that. It makes them uncomfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies