Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2017, 04:46 PM

30,271 posts, read 11,901,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Right. There is diversity among Libertarians, but all Democrats and Republicans are in "lock step" with one another. Funny that one, and everyone else being "brainwashed into picking D or R" is just as funny if not more so. Proof as I first guessed. You Libertarians think y'all are just smarter than the other 97 percent of Americans who cast their votes. I get it.

Think again is all I can suggest. Maybe review those cartoons a little more carefully, because although they are humorous, the truth behind the humor is worth some serious reflection if you want to get closer to the truth about why Libertarian philosophy doesn't really work for most people better versed in how people behave and/or how the world turns...
I actually said the Democrats and Republicans are not lock step. Reading comprehension?

There have been numerous studies done and Libertarians score higher in critical thinking among other things. I know you want to feel you are at the top of the American Political food chain but I would also put members of the Green party ahead of both the Democrats and Republicans. Half the people don't see the need to vote so really less than half vote GOP or Democrat not 97%.

I understand Libertarian philosophy from being involved with the party, my understanding of the platform and issues, etc. I usually don't turn to cartoons, especially biased ones for factual information. If that is how you learn things good for you. Perhaps I will peruse Spongebob Squarepants and see if I can glean anything from it. It least its not blatantly anti libertarian so a little better than your cartoon suggestions.

But if you the current two party system is working great keep voting D. I am sure the DNC appreciates your loyalty.

I think we can do better than octogenarian career politicians on Capital Hill, K street. 20 trillion in debt, foreign wars that are near two decades, so called drug wars that have gone on even longer, a broken health care system, the patriot act and civil forfeiture laws, the immigration issues. I could go on and on.

I think we can do better. But I don't think we will do better as long as we have current two parties in power.

You think everything is fine. Good for you. The two parties need people like you to survive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 05:14 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,759,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
work we can't do on our own and don't want to do!
You mean work that liberals don't want to do?

It's mostly conservatives that are employed in blue collar industries such as manufacturing and agriculture.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:19 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,023,662 times
The flood of immigrants only came after the immigration bill in 1965. The jobs that pro illegals think only illegal aliens will do have existed long before that bill was put in place. Those jobs were performed by Americans, not illegal immigrants. It's complete nonsense that illegals are the only ones willing to do those jobs.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:51 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,494,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
The flood of immigrants only came after the immigration bill in 1965. The jobs that pro illegals think only illegal aliens will do have existed long before that bill was put in place. Those jobs were performed by Americans, not illegal immigrants. It's complete nonsense that illegals are the only ones willing to do those jobs.
Honest question.... why WOULDN'T American citizens want to do better than those jobs? Even if employers start paying a "fair wage," I doubt a dishwasher is going to be making $50k with full benefits. I wasn't around in '65 but I would think Americans abandoned those jobs because they had the opportunity to get better jobs. I'm not pro-illegal immigration; just curious.

For example, thinking of countries I'm familiar with... in UAE, Hong Kong, Singapore, etc. the locals don't really hate on the low skilled immigrant labor. They bring them there FOR that work the locals don't want to do... they're too busy making the real money.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:46 PM

63,089 posts, read 29,284,973 times
Quote:

Exactly and here's an example. Illegal aliens have flooded the construction industry. Since when haven't Americans always done those jobs for a fair wage?

Old 08-21-2017, 08:20 PM

30,271 posts, read 11,901,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
Honest question.... why WOULDN'T American citizens want to do better than those jobs? Even if employers start paying a "fair wage," I doubt a dishwasher is going to be making $50k with full benefits. I wasn't around in '65 but I would think Americans abandoned those jobs because they had the opportunity to get better jobs. I'm not pro-illegal immigration; just curious.
Not every American citizen is qualified to make 50K a year. There are people who have a criminal record, never went to college, lots of reasons. No one is paying them 50K for any job. In the midwest they do those jobs. I see it all the time. In border states those jobs go to immigrants and illegals.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:19 AM

36,692 posts, read 31,000,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
Not every American citizen is qualified to make 50K a year. There are people who have a criminal record, never went to college, lots of reasons. No one is paying them 50K for any job. In the midwest they do those jobs. I see it all the time. In border states those jobs go to immigrants and illegals.
Exactly. Why do people believe every natural born citizen goes to college and lands a 50K+/year job. Thats higher than the median hh income. There are lots of American citizens who work in the service industry as cooks, dishwasher, wait staff, maids and in construction, which by the way wages in many areas are lower than they were 5 years ago. As you say there are various reason people have these jobs. Some are transitional and there are many folks who will never get that better job due to educational qualifications or other issues, criminal background, mental or physical issues. There once was lots of factory jobs that paid well and had benefits for those blue collar workers but so many of those jobs are gone those folks have few choices other than service jobs.
When I was in HS and college I worked in restaurants, bars, I have cleaned houses, done various odd jobs to pay the bills. I worked with other college students, people who had no education beyond HS or HS drop outs and people who were working PT to earn extra income for the family.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:30 AM

63,089 posts, read 29,284,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
Agreed and we have always had a large blue-collared American work force. Many Americans like working physically rather than being a white-collared desk jockey. There is nothing shameful about that. Not everyone can afford college either. I am sick and tired of idiots who think they should hand over those jobs that they enjoy doing and did for a fair wage to "immigrants". Just how anti-American is that?

Old 08-22-2017, 08:19 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,967,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
By any chance, have you seen who is "taking care of our loved ones?"

Before going back to college, two of our nieces worked as a CNA in several different assisted living, and memory care facilities.

Both are remarkable, dependable, hard-working, competent women. Neither could ever get full-time hours at any one place so they always worked at least two jobs.

And both told stories of co-workers who were undependable, had numerous issues in their own life that not only resulted in missed shifts but being in such emotional turmoil they were unable to be very caring to the elderly residents.

Both said that co-workers from other cultures were by far the most caring and dependable coworkers.

Increasing the pay and benefits would no doubt attract a more dependable pool of Americans. But who pays for that? Most families are already at their limit for care and now there's a push to diminish Medicaid funding.
Translation; Americans are emotionally disturbed and complain about needing hours. While, foreigners don't have baggage, allowing them to be caring and hard workers. I have a hard time thinking only a citizen would have a missed work shift.

Yes, I am very familiar with CNA and home healthcare. Not sure where you are, but out my way, it seems all the jobs involve homecare of assisted living, more than enough hours and always more available. The big problem and I agree with you is low pay. Foreigners are not usually trying to buy a house and advance their own lifestyle in a community the way an American would. It all goes hand in hand. I have a problem with not limiting immigration, legally or illegal if Americans are available for training they need to be trained first. Most illegals are not working safe jobs, let alone being paid on time, is this okay with those who support illegal immigration?

Possibly, if Democrats would take all the money they are putting toward getting illegal voters into America and paying all these protesters to cause chaos in our streets......think of all they could do to actually help poor people, with all those wasted $$$ spreading hate. Yet, all they want are more poor people on the streets. Pitting seniors against our youth......youth against our seniors. There is money, its just those with it are using it to destroy us, instead of build us up.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:22 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,967,235 times
Quote:
You are correct! We all know illegals are the new slave worker, yet how many support the invasion of illegals. My guess the same ones removing the statues, while they have a family member with 10 landscapers from another country taking care of the place they call home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies