Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 08:04 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,755,122 times

Advertisements

This is the truth. listen closely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ0XjFzWTFc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 08:12 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,440,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Are they of national interest though?
Of course they are. They depict figures that are part of our history.

Quote:
As I said, we are free to have that discussion.
There is no discussion to be had. It is wrong to destroy historic artifacts.

Quote:
Are you really proposing that there be a national law mandating the preservation of municipally-owned art work?
If it is of national historic interest, yes.

Quote:
I think a LOT of people would have issues with that, especially conservatives. It's very unlikely that Congress would, or even could, pass a law that singles out confederate statues, and only confederate statues, for mandated preservation.
It's not about ONLY preserving confederate statues. It's about including them with all the other historic artifacts that are protected by the National Trust for Historic Preservation.

Quote:
None of these statues have been destroyed
Wrong. One of them in Durham, NC, was just destroyed.

Quote:
If there are towns that have always wanted a confederate statue but never been able to afford one, now's the time for them to write to Charlottesville or Baltimore and see if they can make a deal. And of course there are battlefields and museums.
No, they should stay where they were originally erected, which in itself is a part of their history, and of history generally speaking.

"Putting them in a museum" is a ruse by the Left. In another year or two, the Left will want those museums to be closed down, or to have the statues removed from the museums so that they can no longer be seen by the public.

When this all started, the Left ridiculed the notion that removing Confederate statues would eventually lead to calls for the removal of statues commemorating slave owners Washington and Jefferson.

Now, more and more people on the Left are calling for the removal of statues of Washington and Lincoln.

In other words, the Left lies about its own intentions. It has always done so.

Quote:
Now you're really stretching. For a few minutes there, we were actually having a serious public policy discussion.
You're welcome to do that at any time.

Old 08-19-2017, 08:29 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,558,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
There is no AMERICAN voice only that of individuals and you dont get to speak for everyone
Thanks for sharing.

You keep making it clear that you don't consider yourself American. But that's OK. No one is trying to make you one.

Quote:
comrade.
Gomer...

Old 08-19-2017, 08:57 AM

24,005 posts, read 15,100,850 times
Some of us have objected as we walked past those statues on our way to the courthouse to pay our poll tax.

We were pissing in the wind then, too.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:02 AM

25,584 posts, read 17,304,861 times
Quote:
8 years of Obama, Pelosi, Reid and. It once were statues of any issue or discussed. So why now?
Because nothing else The Children of The Left has tried has worked.

They couldn't get enough votes to defeat Trump; people laughed at their ***** hats; the Russia connection collapsed; the economy continues to grow; unemployment continues to fall; parents have become disgusted with their college campus antics.

They need something to wail about. They are afraid that they have no one left to run for office, the DNC has no money and in 2018, very few Republicans are up for election.

"Looks bad. Let's throw a temper tantrum."

Old 08-19-2017, 09:14 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,772,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Some of us have objected as we walked past those statues on our way to the courthouse to pay our poll tax.

We were pissing in the wind then, too.
I'm so sorry to hear your voice wasn't heard by your party when the were in charge over the last 8 years. What a failure these 8 years were and I'm glad you agree!

Old 08-19-2017, 09:39 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Of course they are. They depict figures that are part of our history.
OK. So that portrait of Washington hanging on your wall is of national interest, and therefore, you have no right to change your mind about it being there. Or if you had a statue of R E Lee in your front yard, you shouldn't be able to move it.

That's where your reasoning leads, because if your goal is mandated preservation, why shouldn't it apply to private property as well as municipal property? After all, you've just declared it an overriding national interest. If preserving artwork depicting national figures is so important that it must be done, why would you exempt private property?

Quote:
There is no discussion to be had. It is wrong to destroy historic artifacts.
OK, I mostly agree. I say 'mostly', because you seem to want a much broader legal definition of 'historic' than now exists. But give a definition that you would want to see in the law, and we'll discuss it.

Quote:
It's not about ONLY preserving confederate statues. It's about including them with all the other historic artifacts that are protected by the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
And again, that can happen any time. Congress has already provided an avenue for this. Now if you want to make the Act more rigorous and punitive than it now is, I would likely agree with you, depending on the details. But good luck getting it through an R congress.

You are aware, aren't you, that the National Trust has no enforcement powers whatever? In fact, it's not even a government agency. It's one of those odd hybrid organizations - both private and public. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...c_Preservation

But I probably would support them having more regulatory power than they now have.

It's the Antiquities Act that has enforcement powers. But that only applies to federally-owned land. Again, good luck convincing Congress that it should also include artifacts on state and municipal lands. https://www.nps.gov/archeology/sites...ties/about.htm

And again, I would probably support broadening their purview.

Quote:
Wrong. One of them in Durham, NC, was just destroyed.
Yes, vandalism happens. I hope the vandals are caught and prosecuted. But that is not the same thing as a municipality making a decision about which statues they want on municipal land.

Quote:
"Putting them in a museum" is a ruse by the Left. In another year or two, the Left will want those museums to be closed down, or to have the statues removed from the museums so that they can no longer be seen by the public.

When this all started, the Left ridiculed the notion that removing Confederate statues would eventually lead to calls for the removal of statues commemorating slave owners Washington and Jefferson.

Now, more and more people on the Left are calling for the removal of statues of Washington and Lincoln.

In other words, the Left lies about its own intentions. It has always done so.
Who is The Left? I've never met him/her. Because one person who describes themselves as politically left advocates for something, does that mean all people who describes themselves as left are obligated to agree? I think that's a very weird idea, but then I'm not a collectivist.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:43 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,544,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Perhaps the statues became an issue because there was a neo-Nazi rally that killed an innocent young woman and Trump's outlandish response.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:48 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
It's hilarious to see lefties defend the bogus claims.

Meanwhile the left is losing more elections and whining more than before and not gaining any sympathy other than from antifa.

Not one democrat answers why the subject wasn't brought up once under the last administration!

The answer is that the democrats have nothing to offer the people who so they create issues to hide their own failures!

Welcome to 7 more years of President Trump MAGA!
No surprise, the bolded is a lie.

It became a fairly big issue after Dylann Roof. Statues started coming down in 2015.

Perhaps start a thread based on something factual instead of something you invented in your own mind and were too lazy to find out if it's actually true.

Old 08-19-2017, 10:02 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,456,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
trump campaigned on this, hate and bigotry ,why is anyone surprised?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgDMprmVqfw

He's not a racist but I think, just like many on the left, he cares about losing votes. The left panders to the minority vote and the right panders to the southern religious vote. That's not a secret. I think it's politics as usual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEm5719YEf8

I'm black and this is embarrassing.

I wish politics wasn't so ugly. I wish you could just run on policies, the truth and how you can actually make a difference. Instead it's a circus with buffoons.

I think the people who choose sides and love going to this circus have lost their way and just enjoy the show.

My disappointment in Donald is that he's fastly learning how to become a politician which will be as ugly as all the rest. He proved that by his comments directed specifically to not **** any side off that might eventually vote again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies