Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2017, 09:57 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,176,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I agree with this. Blacks overwhelmingly voted for Hillary, and with Trumps recent rhetoric during Charlottesville whether it is right or wrong, but most blacks saw that as Trump supporting racists/white supremacists. So to many black people MAGA at this point in time is seen as racist or supporting racists. I don't believe Trump is racist but most black people (U.S and Abroad- except maybe Nigeria since we love America unconditionally) I know believe he actually is racist or supports racist. Trump supporters as they assure you don't care about this perception but it will definitely come to bite them if they decide to wear a MAGA hat in a predominantly black area in the U.S. (and to clarify No_Recess, by bite them, i mean by insults and treatment in public not necessarily violence).

Ah, just saw this and you beat me to it.

This.

Including what's in parenthesis to the poster that wants to play coy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 09:58 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
I'll say this again, and I'm not justifying it, but I think the white nationalists/supremacists rally played a big part. The leaders of these rallies are Trump supporters, so some minorities are on edge. And some don't need much to push them over. And then there are others who are just plain angry.

Sometimes, you don't have to say anything. And you know you'll get a reaction.

This is no different than a Patriots fan strutting through Atlanta in a Super Bowl champs t-shirt or a Warriors fan doing the same thing in downtown Cleveland.

We see this happen in other areas, like sports, all the time. It just so happens this time its political and there's an element of race, too.

I argue with the idiots on c-d who want to judge an entire race or political party or religion based on isolated morons. This is the same thing. And if you're talking about an entire race being on edge over what happened recently - how do you not talk about cops being on edge after several have been killed by black males or all of Europe being on edge around Muslims? See the problem in going down that road?

If people are so unable to control themselves that there's a reaction over words on a shirt that aren't likely racist in nature, we have a bigger problem than the one we're discussing here. Now, more than ever, we need to encourage people to control their emotions and behavior or things are only going to escalate further.

I miss the days when you'd walk past idiotic people and mutter, "*******" under your breath and that was the harshest reaction people had.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I don't know what to tell you. I can spot an American native from a foreigner a 1/2 mile away sometimes. Most of them make a point of sticking out like a sore thumb or being provocative.
You don't know what to tell me? You sounded sure earlier.

Wish I knew how to spot an illegal from a 1/2 mile away.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:59 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
I recall BLM disrupting people eating at a restaurant because they claim that brunch is "white privilege".

Shall I post the video?
Hold up there professor.

Brunch is clearly white privilege. Folks in England invented it.

Some bloody limey stickin' it to the black man cuz he couldn't get through the afternoon without a snack.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:03 PM

6,476 posts, read 4,079,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I argue with the idiots on c-d who want to judge an entire race or political party or religion based on isolated morons. This is the same thing. And if you're talking about an entire race being on edge over what happened recently - how do you not talk about cops being on edge after several have been killed by black males or all of Europe being on edge around Muslims? See the problem in going down that road?

If people are so unable to control themselves that there's a reaction over words on a shirt that aren't likely racist in nature, we have a bigger problem than the one we're discussing here. Now, more than ever, we need to encourage people to control their emotions and behavior or things are only going to escalate further.

I miss the days when you'd walk past idiotic people and mutter, "*******" under your breath and that was the harshest reaction people had.
I agree, with you. I understand the irrational hatred of an entire group of people, but while it feels like its
more today, IMO most of it is media sensationalism, when I look at stats. They often point out that everything in almost every country is improving or getting better. Crime is falling, countries are moving up the HDI scale etcetera. For me that is some of the joy I get in looking at stats to know everything is getting better. For example, people complain about murder in South Africa a lot today, but now murder is literally half of what it was in the mid 90's and early 2000's.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:04 PM

You know, ATG, I almost always agree with you - but getting pissed off about taunting is part of the problem. Both sides are now taunting the other side - whatever that side is about, whether it's religion, race, whatever. This is a problem.

I still think it would have been a great thing to pull the black women aside and counsel them on not taking such things seriously, and then pull the white women aside and ask them what they were doing and how people could get the wrong impression about their intentions.

You know - good old fashion shaming.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I agree, with you. I understand the irrational hatred of an entire group of people, but while it feels like its
more today, IMO most of it is media sensationalism,
I think it's orchestrated and then the media feeds it, so on that we agree.

I also believe it's a very small percentage on both sides misbehaving but as you point out, it's sensationalism - and we all know that sells.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post

I never said or implied an entire race, I am specifically talking about the students who were upset.

I don't get why people think this is new. People have been beaten up and worse for wearing the wrong sports team apparel to the wrong bar, or looking at someone's girlfriend or just plain looking a certain way.

Guy gets jumped because he wore his rival team shirt to the bar, nah we don't talk about that.

Black college kids get upset, because they infer a MAGA hat as a taunt during the height of white supremacists rallies across the country and now we gotta problem with their response. That doesn't make it okay at all, but it's not new.

A guy ran down almost two dozen people because he couldn't control himself. These girls walked off campus on their own two feet.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
You don't know what to tell me? You sounded sure earlier.

Wish I knew how to spot an illegal from a 1/2 mile away.
You don't have an alarm when a person of the opposite race, ethnicity or religion is 1/2 mile away?

You know...Christmas is just around the corner!

Old 08-21-2017, 10:10 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,584,790 times
Quote:
I'll say this again, and I'm not justifying it, but I think the white nationalists/supremacists rally played a big part. The leaders of these rallies are Trump supporters, so some minorities are on edge. And some don't need much to push them over. And then there are others who are just plain angry.
Then they need to get over it.

We have a 1st Amendment right to express our political ideas. If you don't like that, move to China, Cuba, or North Korea.

Quote:
Sometimes, you don't have to say anything. And you know you'll get a reaction.
That says more about the person reacting than it does about the other.

Quote:
This is no different than a Patriots fan strutting through Atlanta in a Super Bowl champs t-shirt or a Warriors fan doing the same thing in downtown Cleveland.
It is completely different.

Of course anyone who acts violently to a sports logo is an idiot.

But, it is particularly political expression, not sports logos, which are protected by the 1st Amendment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies