Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 09:34 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,183,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Free speech has worked for more than 200 years. Nothing wrong with free speech. The next thing to go after free speech is freedom of religion and pretty soon thereafter people will be imprisoned for political views just as some want to get rid of Trump now so they can have their own way when their way lost. That is what the witch hunt is all about.

You may think it will be all right to live in a communist country but the things the left is doing now would get them all killed in a communist country. Trumps wife knows how important it is that we stay a free country with free speech.

No we don't have to be intolerant of intolerance if we want to stay a free country.
What does Communism have to do with this issue? Intolerance cannot be tolerated. Period. Societies where intolerance is tolerated become intolerant societies as the intolerant gain the upper hand. Intolerance, hatred, racism, etc... are not new here but they were something to be embarrassed by. We now have a president that has given the green light for these types to come out of the shadows and be proud.

Why do you think I want to live in a Communist country? I'm politically moderate left but I guess in your mind that make me a communist. Meh, whatever floats yer boat...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 09:36 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,783,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
All this partisan nonsense is entertaining, but it's finally reached a point where it's looking like something much deeper than your typical partisan bickering. I have friends that are actually planing on relocating from the city to the burbs because they fear major politically driven violent conflicts are inevitable at this point.
It's already happening. MSM didn't broadcast the violence during all of Trumps pre-election campaigns. Most people didn't see people being hit in their heads with rock, bottle, and battery filled pillow sacks by Mexicans here in SoCal. Hundreds of people ended up in ERs by pro-Clinton/Obama goons.

All MSM focused on was Trump saying they need to get their a$$es kicked. They conveniently left out the reason why he said that.

Old 08-23-2017, 09:39 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
We are not nearly as close to a lot of mass violence as we were in 1970 and 1971.

The big demonstrations will continue, for sure, and they will become noisy and have some fistfights break out, but the tension now is still far, far less than it was back then.

Loud demonstrations may be a good thing; they allow people to let their pent-up emotions out. But they never have always led to violence as a given outcome in the past, and there's no evidence they will in the future. Most of those on both sides in Charlottesville weren't armed at all. In fact, most left unharmed and uninjured.

But Charlottesville taught a lot of other towns and city governments what they needed to do to prevent violence from visiting them. Given no opportunity to riot, a riot won't happen.

Boston was ready, and no riot happened there because the city was prepared.

The fact is, free speech has always had limits on it. Peaceful assembly is allowed, but any city mayor or city council still has the last say in the matter, and if the possibility of violence is real enough, they aren't forced to issue permits if a planned demonstration is a genuine hazard to their public's safety.

And so far, although there have already been some massive demonstrations, very few have become dangerous. Our citizens will participate in peaceful demonstrations willingly, but no one by and large wants to go get into a planned street fight en masse. There are always going to be a few hotheads, but that's the reality; only a FEW hotheads.

You will know when the tension is really high. That's when people stay home and bunker up. Home is the defensive castle.

Old 08-23-2017, 09:42 PM

1,649 posts, read 1,007,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
As a society we have to be intolerant of intolerance. It is the only way...
Who gets to decide what intolerance is? Just look at this thread already. Both sides are certain that one side is at fault.

One side thinks that people that can't accept hate speech are intolorant, while the other Side thinks that people who support the freaking president of the United States are intolerant. It's madness.

At the end of the day, it would be pretty hard not to see the alt-left as more violent and the alt-right as more dangerous. One side is paid agitators and college kids throwing water balloons full of ****, while the other side is ex-soldiers and rednecks armed to the teeth with military-grade weapons. I've been saying for years that the all right is a sleeping giant. The Klu Klux Klan and neo-nazis are a joke. It's the anti-government Timothy McVeigh types that are the real deal, and there is a lot more of them out there than people realize. As someone that lives in Arizona, I can't stress this enough. There are crazy anarchists living in compounds out in the desert around her just waiting for an excuse to do some "cleansing."

Old 08-23-2017, 10:29 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,838,552 times
Its just media frenzy & paid protestors causing chaos. When the money runs out, they will disappear. Stay away from watching corrupt media outlets. Even public userforums are being abused by paid posters. Focus on your hobbies, career, family, friends. Dont talk about politics as people are getting unnecessarily agitated. Whatever your opinion, share it with trusted friends or like minded people on forums. No need to debate as people have picked sides & they wont switch. Emotional fools will get burnt out eventually. While they are out debating & protesting, invest your time & efforts wisely in your career, health & well being. Keep expressing your opinions through your votes & thats it. Excuse yourself when discussions turn into debates. It is perfectly fine to say you are not comfortable discussing politics or religion.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:32 PM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
Its just media frenzy & paid protestors causing chaos. When the money runs out, they will disappear. Stay away from watching corrupt media outlets. Even public userforums are being abused by paid posters. Focus on your hobbies, career, family, friends. Dont talk about politics as people are getting unnecessarily agitated. Whatever your opinion, share it with trusted friends or like minded people on forums. No need to debate as people have picked sides & they wont switch. Emotional fools will get burnt out eventually. While they are out debating & protesting, invest your time & efforts wisely in your career, health & well being. Keep expressing your opinions through your votes & thats it. Excuse yourself when discussions turn into debates. It is perfectly fine to say you are not comfortable discussing politics or religion.
well said. agree 100 %

Old 08-23-2017, 10:34 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,763,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
All this partisan nonsense is entertaining, but it's finally reached a point where it's looking like something much deeper than your typical partisan bickering. I have friends that are actually planing on relocating from the city to the burbs because they fear major politically driven violent conflicts are inevitable at this point.

A year ago I would have thought they were nuts, but I have to be honest, I I have liberal friends and family that are angry enough to throw rocks and set fires, and I have conservative friends and family that are angry enough to return the favor with gunfire. At some point you got to think one of these alt-right groups is going to masacre one of these alt-left groups. One gunshot from a group like antifa is enough to set one of these gun happy militias into a frenzy that will result in something this country hasn't seen in a very long time. If that happens it's going to set a precedence, and I fear that this country won't be the same. I fear it could lead too many more similar confrontations creating a level of divide that could change the very way we live in this country.

I used to work with a guy from North Ireland that had some pretty crazy stories. It seems unreal that we could be so close to the same type of violence in this country.
We are nowhere near that much drama. Good grief.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:39 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
It was a communist that destroyed the statue in Durham. Most of the bullying I have seen was from the left. 40,000 people against a free speech rally. And telling lies about what the group was having a rally about to boot. Shameful behavior! All 40,000 aren't worth a continental among them. They're puppets and troublemakers.

Hate group marching against hate is an oxymoron.
Right... I know every time I want to celebrate free speech rights, I break out the Nazi flag and start screaming about Jews.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:49 PM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
This is what the radical left is all about. They used to bomb police stations, the Weather Underground, and it's leader Bill Ayers was a close friend to Obama.

Obama is a radical. So is Van Jones a radical activist that believes in violence to advance the cause, Van Jones is an admitted communist. It could come to that. They believe in taking over by a revolution. They preach it, Van Jones preaches it

Old 08-23-2017, 10:49 PM

31,003 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
We are not nearly as close to a lot of mass violence as we were in 1970 and 1971.

The big demonstrations will continue, for sure, and they will become noisy and have some fistfights break out, but the tension now is still far, far less than it was back then.

Loud demonstrations may be a good thing; they allow people to let their pent-up emotions out. But they never have always led to violence as a given outcome in the past, and there's no evidence they will in the future. Most of those on both sides in Charlottesville weren't armed at all. In fact, most left unharmed and uninjured.

But Charlottesville taught a lot of other towns and city governments what they needed to do to prevent violence from visiting them. Given no opportunity to riot, a riot won't happen.

Boston was ready, and no riot happened there because the city was prepared.

The fact is, free speech has always had limits on it. Peaceful assembly is allowed, but any city mayor or city council still has the last say in the matter, and if the possibility of violence is real enough, they aren't forced to issue permits if a planned demonstration is a genuine hazard to their public's safety.

And so far, although there have already been some massive demonstrations, very few have become dangerous. Our citizens will participate in peaceful demonstrations willingly, but no one by and large wants to go get into a planned street fight en masse. There are always going to be a few hotheads, but that's the reality; only a FEW hotheads.

You will know when the tension is really high. That's when people stay home and bunker up. Home is the defensive castle.

"no riot happened there because the city was prepared. "

"Multiple Antifa arrested after attacking police and throwing objects at them in #Boston"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV7-QYz16qQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies