Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 12:16 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,123,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Ah yes, the love of harming your fellow americans who disagree with you. What a patriot, and OH SO brave!

Civil wars are among the worst horrors imaginable, anyone cheering on the idea of one in the US is among the worst examples of humanity.
Then why do you and your Leftist pals want to provoke one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 12:17 PM

330 posts, read 177,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
All this partisan nonsense is entertaining, but it's finally reached a point where it's looking like something much deeper than your typical partisan bickering. I have friends that are actually planing on relocating from the city to the burbs because they fear major politically driven violent conflicts are inevitable at this point.

A year ago I would have thought they were nuts, but I have to be honest, I I have liberal friends and family that are angry enough to throw rocks and set fires, and I have conservative friends and family that are angry enough to return the favor with gunfire. At some point you got to think one of these alt-right groups is going to masacre one of these alt-left groups. One gunshot from a group like antifa is enough to set one of these gun happy militias into a frenzy that will result in something this country hasn't seen in a very long time. If that happens it's going to set a precedence, and I fear that this country won't be the same. I fear it could lead too many more similar confrontations creating a level of divide that could change the very way we live in this country.

I used to work with a guy from North Ireland that had some pretty crazy stories. It seems unreal that we could be so close to the same type of violence in this country.
Now you see why the Founders demanded that the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear arms be codified and preserved. After all, somebody has to defend America from all enemies foreign and DOMESTIC,

If the Alt-Left wants to attempt to steal America from us, well, stones won't be enough. Louisville Sluggers won't be enough. Not NEARLY enough.

Once again, the BRILLIANCE of the Founders shines through.

Old 08-24-2017, 12:19 PM

34,235 posts, read 18,590,367 times
The Alt Left is trying to stir up as much chaos as possible, and using violence to do it. However, take a good look at the participants. Skinny jean wearing pajama boys, and ugly, fat "women" with masks. They couldn't fight a butterfly. No, there will be no "war". The Left is too weak, and weak minded.

Old 08-24-2017, 03:01 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Ah yes, the love of harming your fellow americans who disagree with you. What a patriot, and OH SO brave!

Civil wars are among the worst horrors imaginable, anyone cheering on the idea of one in the US is among the worst examples of humanity.

The core issue expressed here ^^^is one I happen to agree with quite enthusiastically. Having to bug out to the scrub to escape fighting, living like a coyote hunkered down in some burrow, maybe having loved ones caught behind lines in the fighting or worse wounded or ill without proper medical help available. Yea, sounds like something I don't want to miss out on. .

Civil war, real get down get funky get groovy war between civil factions would see brutality on a scale that basement dwelling would be "soldiers" just can't even imagine in their fantasy worlds. The face of war is one butt ugly Medusan bi***. Even professional warriors who have not seen real action yet but only the training for it agree on that fact. Ask any Marine just out of AIT what he or she thinks war might look like. Let alone multiple tour, forward deployed vets who have both delivered downrange and received return fire from an enemy.

That said, real civil war here is not probable. Mob clashes, brushfire engagements, violent disorder of an armed nature, and equally violent response by government forces yes. But not civil war. There is nothing that speaks to me that any faction out there can organize on such a scale as that would take. Bear in mind the federal government is quite well armed, has both the means and the will, and above all the equipment and people to viciously put down anything that threatens the country on a wide scale. And there's plans in place to do so. The National Guard has tanks, aircraft, all manner of fighting vehicles, well armed personnel a great many of whom are now serious combat vets thanks to having had to be deployed overseas because of manpower shortages in regular forces and they are quite capable of quieting down mobs in the streets.

Don't know about some folks but I'm in no hurry to see what 20mm cannons ripping through a crowd does in my town.

Old 08-24-2017, 03:39 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,034,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
All this partisan nonsense is entertaining, but it's finally reached a point where it's looking like something much deeper than your typical partisan bickering. I have friends that are actually planing on relocating from the city to the burbs because they fear major politically driven violent conflicts are inevitable at this point.

A year ago I would have thought they were nuts, but I have to be honest, I I have liberal friends and family that are angry enough to throw rocks and set fires, and I have conservative friends and family that are angry enough to return the favor with gunfire. At some point you got to think one of these alt-right groups is going to masacre one of these alt-left groups. One gunshot from a group like antifa is enough to set one of these gun happy militias into a frenzy that will result in something this country hasn't seen in a very long time. If that happens it's going to set a precedence, and I fear that this country won't be the same. I fear it could lead too many more similar confrontations creating a level of divide that could change the very way we live in this country.

I used to work with a guy from North Ireland that had some pretty crazy stories. It seems unreal that we could be so close to the same type of violence in this country.
All over the media and in internet forums like this one there are people who use terminology such as "lib-tards" or "wingnut". What is actually being discussed often doesn't matter. There is a right, or left, ideological line that has to be maintained, often requiring insulting not someone's opinion on some specific topic, but rather a political philosophy that they may not even advocate.

Believe in global warming and you are called a lib-tard.
Believe that BLM is counterproductive, you are proclaimed a wingnut.
Want immigration slowed, well, you must be a racist Republican wingnut.
Believe that statues of Confederate generals should be removed, you are a hopeless lib-tard spitting on American history.

Never rationally discuss the individual topics, just place a political tag on the political/social beliefs of others. Sadly, due to the spread of this phenomenon, many of those political/social beliefs of others are indeed based on their political allegiance.

Old 08-24-2017, 04:13 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,029,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post
I never hear anyone talking about it except here or the TV
Because people don't talk politics in public, nobody knows who side you are on.

I have had great friendly conversation with people and then a political issue comes up and the friendly conversation makes a turn.

I didn't like Hillary or Trump. I liked Jim Webb he was a good, in the middle, experienced guy with a level head and no baggage.

Old 08-24-2017, 04:19 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionExperience View Post
Because people don't talk politics in public, nobody knows who side you are on.

I have had great friendly conversation with people and then a political issue comes up and the friendly conversation makes a turn.

I didn't like Hillary or Trump. I liked Jim Webb he was a good, in the middle, experienced guy with a level head and no baggage.

Wasn't for Trump or Hilary either. I guess we "wasted" our votes. I've rather come to the conclusion that I won't be voting in any more presidential elections. It's a waste of time. I vote more because of state ballot measures. Maybe I'll just leave a hanging chad on the presidential box next go. Or write in for one of my favorite cartoon characters like Wile E Coyote.

Old 08-24-2017, 04:38 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,730,854 times
lets see some antifa scumbags do a John Brown on an Armory someplace. Then I might think they are serious....

Old 08-24-2017, 06:08 PM

89,059 posts, read 44,853,831 times
The BBC has an interesting suggestion...

Put Lithium in tap water - BBC News

(Lithium is used to treat poor judgment and aggression.)

Old 08-24-2017, 06:23 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,950,716 times
Not very close. None of the issues that are getting people riled up are anything the vast majority of people are going to disrupt their lives over. It would take an economic collapse or a disproportionately violent response by the government to get people to that point.

I think we're in a kind of slow national deterioration that will take a while to get anywhere really dramatic. I don't see things flaring up suddenly; rather I bet it will be a slow descent via uncurable national malaise and irreconcilable cultural and value differences.

If you want to be happier, simply don't engage with anyone that is your ideological opposite. This includes family. It's not worth the aggravation and you'll be a lot happier not dealing with people who have views you find reprehensible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies