Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Texas get federal clean-up funds?
Yes, it's the right thing to do 126 87.50%
No, they should practice what they preach 18 12.50%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 08:30 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,956,715 times

Advertisements

How to make it work?

I was caught in the Savanna flooding last October. It was really scary, and I was able to skim across the top of the city system just by luck, but I saw so many people lined up and I was so afraid for them that I did not photograph them. What I mean is that if I saw a really fancy woman and she was somehow naked along side all the people who had nothing ... yah, that's what it looked like

72 posts, read 214,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Another typical religious hypocrite, living in million dollar mansions while the people suffer.

Joel Osteen's Houston Megachurch Blasted For Closing As Thousands Are Displaced
I freaking love this. Another prosperity televangelist exposed for being a hypocrite. He lives in a $10.5 mil mansion and can't open up his church for shelter. Him and his fake wife take 10% in tithes from the congregation and he can't open the doors to his church. His congregation gives 10% of their income to him and they lost evelrythig and can't offer shelter in a stadium the congregation is paying for. What would Jesus do? Lol

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
<>Anyone who gives a penny to these millionaire pretend followers of Christ deserve to be scammed.
I actually dislike the Osteen approach to Christianity, as I understand it. He seems to say if you believe in Jesus Christ as your personal savior it will all work out well for you in the real world.
I do not think we get our reward in the real world, but let's not let this thread drift off track.
I just think the original article and the pictures of the high and dry building comes from people who persistently target the Olsteens in a bitter way. For myself, I just quit watching him on Sunday mornings.
I think not opening the church building as a public shelter was not some elitist turn of mind, just a decision based on practicality. Lakewood would be overwhelmed.
"No need to be nasty when you can ignore"

Old 08-28-2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
and that would be better than the rain!
Yeah, I get that. This one time on the Appalachian Trail I was freezing cold in the rain and a simple lean-to was as good as the Hilton.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:36 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Your excuses are starting to annoy me and I'm not in the mood considering the last few days here.

There are people who are in their boats, going from neighborhood to neighborhood in this weather helping complete strangers.

There's a pastor who was going around from stranded car to stranded car in a small boat to check for survivors.

People are risking their lives to help others.

Mattress Mack opened up one of his showrooms to help. You think it's going to replicate a Westin hotel? And you think the displaced victims?

The BS reasons didn't stop my church, which is also a large church, from opening into a refuge for victims. They have partnered with the Red Cross to help displaced people.

Stop defending this garbage.
When I heard him interviewed, he mentioned two showrooms/two of his locations (the North Freeway store, and the Grand Parkway store). IIRC, he said they will be able to sleep 400 in one location and 350 in the other (I don't remember which total matches which location) .

Apparently he has done this re other storms.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:36 PM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I'm doing good enough to complain about Sylvester Turner Seriously, I am always amazed at how people will help each other in times of crisis. All over the city, people with flat bottomed boats, john boats, and amphibious vehicles are helping evacuate residents whose homes are flooding. People have come here from other states and other countries to help us, and I am very grateful for their assistance. I won't mention megachurch pastor's Joel Osteen's refusal to open his building housing Lakewood Church, which could temporarily shelter almost 17,000 homeless residents. Oh, never mind; I just did.
I am proud of people too. This is amazing. I still disagree about Turner, but I realize you at least are talking about the lack of preparedness after imposing a tax to fix our drainage issues. The thing is, I did see people out in our neighborhood a couple of months ago fixing our drainage system, and it actually worked pretty well. Is that a county tax or a city tax? I guess I haven't really paid much attention or I don't get the tax, not living in the city of Houston.

Not evacuating was a joint decision by Mayor Turner and Harris County Judge Ed Emmitt. And I believe they were right to make it.

We didn't get the rain they got to the east and south of us, and we aren't near one of the reservoirs that were released. I don't think there was any way to plan for up to 50" of rain in three days. But imagine if they'd ordered evacuations earlier and it prevented people from getting out anywhere because of the mother of all traffic jams it would cause in the path of a hurricane. I am quite sure the loss of life would have been greater, and equally as sure that many people would have still refused to evacuate after their Rita experience.

I didn't hear about Joel, but not really surprised. I would expect the kind of generosity your talking about from Mattress Mack before I would ever think Joel Olsteen would disrupt his church with the great unwashed. He can't interrupt his international sermon this Sunday. I'm sure it will be a good one, all about helping your fellow man during times of crisis.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:37 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
But they might get mud on the floor, or miss the toilet when they pee. Can't have that in Osteen's Temple.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:37 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,536,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
His church was set up to extract as much money as possible from the local community and those who watch on tv, online or even from a sirius xm channel he has. It was not setup to help people, except for his family.
Exactly! He thinks that praying is enough.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Plus I saw footage of Coast Guard rescuing people with their pets. No longer have to leave their pets behind because there's "no room" or pets aren't allowed on the helicopter or whatever other reason people used to give.
Imagine a cat in a helicopter? PANIC! They do have to be in carriers, apparently. Our dog is very precious to us and we would not leave her behind. She has her own bug out bag and knows how to carry it, (and a flotation device!)

Old 08-28-2017, 08:38 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Rep. Peter King, whose district encompasses parts of Long Island, tweeted that he wouldn’t “abandon Texas the way Ted Cruz did New York;” New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie called the Texas lawmakers “hypocrites;” and Rep. Frank LoBiondo of the Garden State tweeted that despite the stance of his Texas colleagues on the Sandy relief package, he would support emergency money for their constituents.

Overall, 23 of the 24 Texas Republicans then in the House voted against the Sandy package. And joining Cruz in opposing it was the state’s other senator, John Cornyn (who’s now that chamber’s majority whip).

https://www.yahoo.com/news/hurricane...214741226.html

Rather blatant hypocrisy if they don't accept spending offsets elsewhere I'd say.
Yep, when they go low, we go high. Democrats will not abandon Texans the way Republican Congressional Texans abandoned New York. We will not demand budgetary offsets before we will agree to help them. Texans in the affected areas should know this, and thank Democrats for showing their humanity in their time of need.

I hope Ted Cruz just shuts the hell up about this. No one wants to hear anything he has to say on this matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies