Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Texas get federal clean-up funds?
Yes, it's the right thing to do 126 87.50%
No, they should practice what they preach 18 12.50%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 09:34 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,661,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I don't have any idea who this Pastor is .... Are all area Churches opening up for refugees because the City has not done that? Is this the only church in the area that has not opened up for refugees?

I'm trying to understand the responsibilities here - has Refugee care been passed off from the City to the Churches and is there a punishment/fine/jail or something to the Churches that don't comply/can't comply to the Orders to open up?
I see where you're going with this.

There are churches that have opened their doors for those needing help:

Houston churches opening doors as shelters - Houston Chronicle

I knew about this 'pastor' a long time ago since his mug always seems to be on national tv for the longest time when I channel surf on weekend mornings.

There are fake pictures floating around of the supposed flooding in his arena/church. Only after mounting criticism did the 'church' do something, and that is simply to accept donations and act as a distribution point. Whoopie doo, use other people's money to make yourself seem good.

This has nothing to do with legality or criminal offense. It has everything to do with a charlatan that made millions off of the community, lives in a multi million dollar mansion, lives the life of luxury while many in his community have suffered all year long, and especially during this disaster. I suppose it's fitting he didn't do anything, fits his character very well.

P.S. Wonder how long before someone decides to take it upon themselves to create a "Joel Osteen didn't open up his church" thread. Please don't, keep it in this thread.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:37 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,956,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Your post clearly indicates the universal confusion about the role of the local versus Federal officials involved in the emergency response.
FEMA has no authority. They should be a purely advisory agency, so there is no decision to intervene.
Responsibility to RECOMMEND evacuation of the city seems to reside with the mayor who overrode the governor's recommendation. People listened to the mayor, apparently.
I am not sure what post storm opinion means? I'm sure CNN will have several.
Trump is showing up because Bush got busted for not showing up for Katrina.
"Be careful what you ask for, you may get it"
Okay, so FEMA was notified of flooding deaths, but FEMA has no authority.

Who then, the mayor who was informed of the devastating storm but did not evacuate?

Old 08-28-2017, 09:40 PM

72 posts, read 214,399 times
Quote:
I don't have any idea who this Pastor is .... Are all area Churches opening up for refugees because the City has not done that? Is this the only church in the area that has not opened up for refugees?

I'm trying to understand the responsibilities here - has Refugee care been passed off from the City to the Churches and is there a punishment/fine/jail or something to the Churches that don't comply/can't comply to the Orders to open up?
He is the biggest televangelist out of Houston. He only preaches prosperity. Nothing that will offend the congregation. He is on TV every Sunday. Lives in $10.5 mil mansion. His church seats 18,000 every Sunday. They Tithe 10% of their income to him. He is not legally obligated to open the doors to his stadium that the congregation pays for. How would you feel if you lost everything and you've been giving 10% of your income to this man. The least you would expect from a man of god whose million dollar lifestyle you are supporting is a little shelter in the building you are paying for. Not legally obligated but ethically he is. He is the number one trending topic on twitter today.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:42 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane505 View Post
They are pleased now because all they care about now is surviving. Then the displaced will move up on Maslow's Hierchy of Needs. Next they will look for shelter (check), food and water (check). Next week when the storm dies and they are sitting in those over crowded FEMA shelters with no car because it is submerged and totaled, they will ask why they are there? I remember the interviews with the Mayor days prior the Hurricane. He said Houston is prepared. He sounded like he was preparing for the best, not the worst. That's when the fingers will be pointed to the Mayor for no warning.
First - you are post #1000 (congrats) - I've been in this thread from the very beginning and can assure you - these Houston folks are really happy with their Houston Leadership. They have complete confidence in them and won't be complaining about anything now or in the future.

They are pleased with the Houston preparation and with the Federal/State/Citizen response ..... which has been there from the beginning. Their only gripe has been any complaints from those who would question the actions of Houston Leadership. They have a very valid point .... these are the people they elected and they have complete confidence in them. We need to all respect that.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I see where you're going with this.

There are churches that have opened their doors for those needing help:

Houston churches opening doors as shelters - Houston Chronicle

I knew about this 'pastor' a long time ago since his mug always seems to be on national tv for the longest time when I channel surf on weekend mornings.

There are fake pictures floating around of the supposed flooding in his arena/church. Only after mounting criticism did the 'church' do something, and that is simply to accept donations and act as a distribution point. Whoopie doo, use other people's money to make yourself seem good.

This has nothing to do with legality or criminal offense. It has everything to do with a charlatan that made millions off of the community, lives in a multi million dollar mansion, lives the life of luxury while many in his community have suffered all year long, and especially during this disaster. I suppose it's fitting he didn't do anything, fits his character very well.

P.S. Wonder how long before someone decides to take it upon themselves to create a "Joel Osteen didn't open up his church" thread. Please don't, keep it in this thread.
So you are saying that the issue is that this is a wealthy Pastor and that is the problem?
Are ALL Churches open to refugees in Houston - I've paid pretty close attention and haven't read that
OR is it just that some people don't like this particular Church/Pastor?

Old 08-28-2017, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane505 View Post
He is the biggest televangelist out of Houston. He only preaches prosperity. Nothing that will offend the congregation. He is on TV every Sunday. Lives in $10.5 mil mansion. His church seats 18,000 every Sunday. They Tithe 10% of their income to him. He is not legally obligated to open the doors to his stadium that the congregation pays for. How would you feel if you lost everything and you've been giving 10% of your income to this man. The least you would expect from a man of god whose million dollar lifestyle you are supporting is a little shelter in the building you are paying for. Not legally obligated but ethically he is. He is the number one trending topic on twitter today.
Thanks - that helps a lot. I'm not at all familiar with Televangelists or Wealth Prosperity.
I didn't realize that all the complaints were coming from his Congregation - that makes more sense.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:54 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Quote:
<>I'm trying to understand the responsibilities here - has Refugee care been passed off from the City to the Churches<>
Oh, oh, I can answer that one, Mr Kotter!
Originally the Churches had that responsibility, but the government has taken that over and now has Control Of Everything In The Name of Organization.
Unfortunately that model does not work well in an area of 7.5 million people with massive problems and government efforts fail.
So a lot of churches ** and individuals jump in to take care of immediate needs.
** Well, some churches
A lot of people dislike the Osteen money approach, so they jump at the chance to criticise.
"Say Goodnight, Crashj"
"Goodnight Crashj"

Old 08-28-2017, 10:01 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,473,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
You're right, it is stupid. Why is your sister blaming Democrats for her own stupid decisions? She doesn't have the brains to figure this out for herself?
LOl. Right? Also, why doesn't she blame THE MAYOR OF MAGNOLIA TEXAS?!

Old 08-28-2017, 10:03 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,243,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I too have friends in The Woodlands. Their employer invoked their disaster emergency plan and they evacuated to Milwaukee. This is their 4th evacuation invoked by their employer to ensure business continuity.
I grew up near the Gulf and family policy was if it's a Cat 3 or higher and the trajectory is near, get out before everyone else does. So I don't fault them even though, as Finn mentioned, The Woodlands is a bit higher but you will still potentially have problems in the low lying areas and near rivers and creeks.

Really sad to see this and again raises the question of the wisdom of developing such a large city near the Gulf of Mexico.

Old 08-28-2017, 10:11 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,801,130 times
Quote:
These earthen dams were built in the 40's & 50's - they are all over Texas, including a mile or so from my home. Built basically for flood control, but sometimes for Water source - they are not just mud/dirt pushed up to form a dam like a common stock tank. The soil would be a clay soil and then they mixed stabilizers into it, like lime.

Point is - no danger UNLESS water is allow to go over the dam and then erode (similar to what we saw in California a few months ago) - controlled released and constant monitoring will solve the problem of the dam.
One thing is sure ..... those dams can't be allowed to fail.
Level in Lake Houston has now hit 50 ft.

Design max is 54 ft for the dam and all three main rivers coming in are still rising.

Some reports say rivers should crest Tuesday around 6 pm. However, other reports say another 10-20 inches of rain are likely.

I think by now it is certain design max will be exceeded.

At current rate of climb that will happen around midnight Tuesday.

The dam should hold fine above 54 ft. In fact, I wager the dam will hold up to 60 ft.

How many people live below this dam?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies