Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 03:43 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,986,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Don't make America the scapegoat. Let's face the truth. War making is in mankind's universal DNA. Human beings are territorial and tribal. They want other people's land and possessions. And if you don't look like the people in the dominant tribe they'll kill you without hesitation.
so very true. war has been part of the human experience since humans first walked the earth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Some folks will never understand the concept of self-defense until they are in chains.

Wolves love rabbits. And it's never going to make a bit of difference how passive the rabbit becomes or how much it tries to reason with the wolf or how much it tells the wolf it loves him. The rabbit still becomes dinner. The moral of this story is to not become a rabbit.
well said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 03:49 PM

7,519 posts, read 2,828,801 times
I'm very glad to be an American.

Old 09-06-2017, 03:49 PM

29,259 posts, read 16,898,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Some folks will never understand the concept of self-defense until they are in chains.

Wolves love rabbits. And it's never going to make a bit of difference how passive the rabbit becomes or how much it tries to reason with the wolf or how much it tells the wolf it loves him. The rabbit still becomes dinner. The moral of this story is to not become a rabbit.

So because of 9/11 and that was a horrid chapter in history, we're in our 17th yr of constant wars, destroying other countries, killing innocents and and and. Where are those WMD? Trillions in debt and major part due to increasing and increasing defense. And making those 4-5Star generals proud of themselves. Gross.

Old 09-06-2017, 04:00 PM

25,909 posts, read 16,636,610 times
Personally, I believe without America Europe would have had another major war and would have killed millions more.

Old 09-06-2017, 04:00 PM

26,300 posts, read 19,202,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
So because of 9/11 and that was a horrid chapter in history, we're in our 17th yr of constant wars, destroying other countries, killing innocents and and and. Where are those WMD? Trillions in debt and major part due to increasing and increasing defense. And making those 4-5Star generals proud of themselves. Gross.
I never said that I agree with the way our nation tends to defend itself. Personally I would do things quite differently. But rolling over and saying "rub my tummy" is not the way you deal with sadistic mass murderers, ideological fanatics, and militaristic "alpha male" regimes. You are never going to get them to "understand" anything other than via brute force. That's just the way our species is. Doesn't mean that we are all like that as individuals, but they are out there. You won't change that by playing footsie with them.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
sorry to disappoint you, but this country has been at war for pretty much all of its 241 year history. whether it be wars with britain, the south, mexico, spain, both world wars, korea, vietnam, grenada, dominican republic, the middle east, or where ever, there have been very few periods of real peace for this country.

and by the way, right now we have NO 5 star generals, or admirals. the 5 star rank is reserved for times of open warfare, not the limited wars we have had since world war two.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:52 PM

20,184 posts, read 23,930,156 times
Quote:
Why why why do we continue to the keep the war machines oiled and going on from WW2. Pain and Misery from them all. This is my MAJOR gripe about America.

Maybe there's been other posts like this, I don't know.
I hear Antarctica is nice this time of the century.... human behavior is not hard to understand and if you don't like it, there is always Antarctica... you cannot make humans less human... unless we are talking about anti-Trumpers...

Old 09-06-2017, 09:38 PM

7,587 posts, read 6,670,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i personally would love to see the day when the world stops the hate and violence, and permanently end wars forever. will it happen? not in my lifetime. and since that is the case, we need to defend ourselves and our allies, and our interests.

if ew dont prepare to defend ourselves, then you can bet that we will be on the receiving end of the hate and violence from others. what has kept this world in relative peace since world war two is the power the US, china, and russia can project.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
sorry to disappoint you, but this country has been at war for pretty much all of its 241 year history. whether it be wars with britain, the south, mexico, spain, both world wars, korea, vietnam, grenada, dominican republic, the middle east, or where ever, there have been very few periods of real peace for this country.

and by the way, right now we have NO 5 star generals, or admirals. the 5 star rank is reserved for times of open warfare, not the limited wars we have had since world war two.
You're arguing several different positions here, and seemingly conflating them all into one issue. You're talking about the need to defend ourselves, the perceived need to defend our economic and political interests, and our desire to conquer and subjugate countries who pose no threat to us just because they have something we want, or stand in the way of our expansion of power. You glibly jumble them all up as though they're interchangeable, but... they are far from it.

As you say, the United States has been at war for almost its entire history, but very few of those wars have been in self-defense. Most of them have been wars of choice, even wars of aggression and conquest. It's very telling, and very sad, that so many Americans don't seem to understand (or, more disturbingly, to care about) the differences.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
You're arguing several different positions here, and seemingly conflating them all into one issue. You're talking about the need to defend ourselves, the perceived need to defend our economic and political interests, and our desire to conquer and subjugate countries who pose no threat to us just because they have something we want, or stand in the way of our expansion of power. You glibly jumble them all up as though they're interchangeable, but... they are far from it.

As you say, the United States has been at war for almost its entire history, but very few of those wars have been in self-defense. Most of them have been wars of choice, even wars of aggression and conquest. It's very telling, and very sad, that so many Americans don't seem to understand (or, more disturbingly, to care about) the differences.
i think you are reading too much into these posts. it is true that for the last 241 years, the US has been involved in numerous conflicts, and we do need to protect our interests and our allies. as for conquering other countries? are you suggesting that i think the US should take over countries we defeat in war? if that is the case you couldnt be more wrong.

granted we put military bases in japan, germany, south korea, britain, italy, among other countries. but we did so through agreements with those countries governments. granted japan and germany were forced to sign those agreements after they were defeated, but the fact is that they have held up their part of those agreements, and so have we.

we dont run their countries, we let them run their own countries. we have even pulled out of the phillipines pretty much, so they are completely self governing, and self protecting.

i dont want the US to be like russia or china where we have satellite countries that have some autonomy, but have to look to us for anything they want to do. in fact cuba is a good example, we have a military base there, as you know, and it was put their long before castro took over the country. castro ran cuba as he saw fit, and we let him, though there were times we tried to think of ways to eliminate him.

so tell me what countries we have truly conquered. as for there being wars of aggression, ALL wars are wars of aggression. so also lay out our wars of aggression as well, perhaps i can set you straight on a few of them.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:56 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,824,262 times
Quote:
Why why why do we continue to the keep the war machines oiled and going on from WW2. Pain and Misery from them all. This is my MAJOR gripe about America.

Maybe there's been other posts like this, I don't know.
We do overstep and shouldn't be the LONE world police, but God knows the UN have proven themselves useless. Have you ever considered that, even with our faults, we and our allies have been the only thing keeping this world from going up in flames?

It's better to stop a war before it happens, and if you are the biggest dog on the block nobody is eager to screw with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies