Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 05:32 PM

9,623 posts, read 4,431,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Why why why do we continue to the keep the war machines oiled and going on from WW2. Pain and Misery from them all. This is my MAJOR gripe about America.

Maybe there's been other posts like this, I don't know.
Wow. Crawl out from under whatever rock you live under and join us in the real world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2017, 05:53 PM

56,966 posts, read 35,331,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
It never ceases to amaze me that Americans are completely oblivious to their own government's role in all this.....and also how many Americans believe that somehow military conflict is a natural tribal instinct that just has to be played out on a regular basis. That going around the globe, invading other sovereign nations is somehow ok..??

I've got news for you, you're among a small handful of nations who think this way, maybe two or three at the most. It just happens to be a coincidence that you have the most all-encompassing military force. America is a war nation and has been throughout it's history, the rest of us have learned to just deal with it.

You're like an unwelcome dinner guest...you create the mess, the rest of us have to clean it up.
Unfortunately, you're absolutely right. My fellow American citizens have become drunk on military power and geopolitical hegemony. They think that everything in this world is rightfully theirs, and if some other nation has the nerve to complain about it, then we can brand them as irresponsible and concoct a reason to take what we want.

Americans refuse to look at the world through the eyes of others and see that we've become the world's rogue nation and an unwanted meddler in the affairs of sovereign nations. The very thought of any remorse for our behavior is an anathema to such people. If you even deign to reject the prevailing notion that we're the so-called "force for good in the world," then you're branded as unpatriotic and and a fellow traveler of pinko radicals.

Nevermind that we're ensconced in conflicts all over the place, and not winning any of them. And now our new president has been duped by the clowns at the Pentagon to keep the war machine rolling. Of course, Trump..being an authoritarian bozo wasn't all that hard to convince. War makes an excellent diversion from his incompetence and he has a willing populace who are stupid enough to fall for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
We do overstep and shouldn't be the LONE world police, but God knows the UN have proven themselves useless. Have you ever considered that, even with our faults, we and our allies have been the only thing keeping this world from going up in flames?

It's better to stop a war before it happens, and if you are the biggest dog on the block nobody is eager to screw with you.
Problem is, we're the big dog and we're STILL getting our ass kicked. So what's the point?

Being the biggest dog didn't stop 9/11, did it? Didn't stop us from getting our ass kicked in Vietnam, did it?

We're not a world police...we've become the world bully. A protector of despots, and an overthrower of elected governments. We're nothing but a glorified friend of established power, and the enemy of common people around the world. We're no beacon of freedom...we're the usurper of it.

Why you folks are so proud of that, I'll never know. Look at the world through someone else's eyes for once, instead of through the myopic lens of your own jingoism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Some folks will never understand the concept of self-defense until they are in chains.

Wolves love rabbits. And it's never going to make a bit of difference how passive the rabbit becomes or how much it tries to reason with the wolf or how much it tells the wolf it loves him. The rabbit still becomes dinner. The moral of this story is to not become a rabbit.
LOL...what are you talking about?

What does that have to do with why we invaded Iraq, for example. Or why we overthrew an elected government in Iran?

Stop with the dumb platitudes.

Old 09-10-2017, 07:55 PM

26,300 posts, read 19,202,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
LOL...what are you talking about?

What does that have to do with why we invaded Iraq, for example. Or why we overthrew an elected government in Iran?

Stop with the dumb platitudes.
Can you show me where I have defended the actions taken in Iraq?

If you will recall, Iraq was not a defensive action on our part. It was an offensive action, and IMO, a mistake. My take on the way things should work is an overwhelmingly strong defensive capability and a nearly nonexistent offensive incentive.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:05 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,405,759 times
If it hadn't been for the US, all of Korea would be ruled by Kim Bad Hair.

Think about that.

Old 09-10-2017, 10:23 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,985,582 times
I've come to believe that the vast majority of people drawn to federal government are not good people. They are interested in acquiring power for themselves. What is the ultimate tool of power in the world? The United States military. Of course they are going to use it.

Then there is all the money and corruption involved with the military industrial complex. And the greed and powermongering of the globalists. So yeah, not really a surprise there is constant war.

Old 09-11-2017, 04:49 AM

56,966 posts, read 35,331,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post

Think about that.
And no one in Peoria would care one way or the other.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:23 AM

8,325 posts, read 3,972,490 times
Quote:
Why why why do we continue to the keep the war machines oiled and going on from WW2. Pain and Misery from them all. This is my MAJOR gripe about America.

Life is a mix of happiness and suffering. Wars are a fact of human existence, the idea that there will never be another conflict like WWII is a dream. While the DOD budget is bloated and full of pork, there is no doubt that the military is essential to protect the homeland, because one day we WILL be fighting another worldwide conflict.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:52 AM

37,951 posts, read 17,966,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post

Think about that.
If it hadn't been for the US, the 36,516 Americans killed over an unconstitutional war, would be alive today. The 92,134 Americans who were wounded would have a higher quality of life. That doesn't take into account the thousands that suffered PTSD. So no, it wasn't worth it. Korea didn't attack our borders.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:32 AM

378 posts, read 231,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Life is a mix of happiness and suffering. Wars are a fact of human existence, the idea that there will never be another conflict like WWII is a dream. While the DOD budget is bloated and full of pork, there is no doubt that the military is essential to protect the homeland, because one day we WILL be fighting another worldwide conflict.
The problem seems to stem from the US military acting like every conflict in the world is like WW2.

Old 09-11-2017, 06:14 PM

9,326 posts, read 4,168,576 times
Quote:
How old are you, that you haven't yet figured out that:

1. Men like war, especially chicken hawks like Trump
2. War is big business, so of course there are people forever agitating for military action
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies