Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2017, 11:49 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,749,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post

You know why California has such a high cost of living, thus sending that metric to the bottom of the list?
Foreign investors are buying up houses, which creates a huge demand for housing and not having enough for everyone.

Quote:

The conservatives here would have you believe it's some sort of West Virginia or Mississippi, when it's practically the opposite. If it were a depressed, poor place like West Virginia or Mississippi, housing costs would be rock bottom, not sky high. So instead of picking on California as being some sort of 3rd world junk heap (which it hardly is), maybe you should be picking on West Virginia and Mississippi as some sort of 3rd world junk heap.
Besides Beverly Hills or Malibu there's lots of areas in California that resembles West Virginia or Mississippi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 02:35 AM

6,232 posts, read 3,611,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
As a blue collar worker myself living here in California, I used to be anti-immigration myself, but after seeing how hard it has been for contractors to find anyone willing to put in an honest day worth of work and seeing how Immigrants gladly do these jobs nobody here wants to do I could finally understand why we badly need these people. They are good, honest people and I have always gotten along with them. California would not survive without them. They actually help our economy contrary to what some are saying on here.
Obvious propaganda is obvious.

Old 09-21-2017, 05:19 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,732,114 times
Quote:
Some of the conservatives here are, once again, proving themselves to be at least as intolerant as the liberals they berate. They're so intolerant of the views coming out of California they want to kick that state out of the union. Sad!

I thought California was voting to leave the union.

They want to leave, the rest of us want them to leave.......so let's get on with it already.

They can take Oregon and Washington with them.

CN

Old 09-21-2017, 06:25 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,653,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compression View Post

They want to leave, the rest of us want them to leave.......so let's get on with it already.

CN
Thanks. Then the integrity of the I-5 is assured.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:16 AM

20,873 posts, read 9,546,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Foreign investors are buying up houses, which creates a huge demand for housing and not having enough for everyone.
And why are they buying houses in California? It is because it's an economic backwater like West Virginia? No, it's because it's a popular and prosperous state.

Quote:
Besides Beverly Hills or Malibu there's lots of areas in California that resembles West Virginia or Mississippi.
That's true of any state, the important thing is how prosperous on average each state is. And in that category California beats the crap out of conservative West Virginia and Mississippi.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:18 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,274,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compression View Post

CN
Don't forget Hawaii which also always votes Democrat and is even further west.
Aloha!

Old 09-21-2017, 07:33 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,287,481 times
Quote:
And why are they buying houses in California? It is because it's an economic backwater like West Virginia? No, it's because it's a popular and prosperous state.

That's true of any state, the important thing is how prosperous on average each state is. And in that category California beats the crap out of conservative West Virginia and Mississippi.
I'm not sure what your point is. California is very prosperous but it is solely based on the tech industry in silicon valley, it's a banana republic. Our state is house poor, we make a lot of money from one source and the politicians are horrible at budgeting.

Just today I read that the bay area is suing the oil companies for climate change. Wow, way to kill off thousands of jobs in oil and others that piggy back off them like consulting.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:48 AM

20,873 posts, read 9,546,294 times
Silicon Valley isn't the only reason for California's prosperity - and even if it was, so what? There are plenty of examples of prosperous places that are dependent mostly on one industry. That doesn't mean they aren't prosperous, it's just that they have specialized economies.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:50 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,287,481 times
Quote:
specialized economies.
Banana republic.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:17 AM

3,357 posts, read 1,235,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
Yes, I agree with you OP, and they spend a vast fortune on welfare for the illegals. How can they afford this? Because the rest of the country, IE US taxpayers via government contracts, have indirectly invested a large chunk of our national wealth in California, going back to the 40's . This goes back to the aeronautics industry in WW2, the space program and emerging electronics industry, silicon valley and all the high tech stuff they have. They act like they did it all themselves, but California was not even a liberal state when the seeds of success were planted and they now complain about paying more in taxes to the Fed than they get back. Boo Hoo ! If Microsoft and Apple had decided to spread the wealth equally to other parts of the country by spreading it around a little , California and the west coast as a whole would be more like the rest of the country. They have such a bubble economy going in places like SF, LA ect. The only people that can afford to move there are the illegals, lol.

I agree, they need to make the tech companies farm out those jobs to places like Chicago, St. Louis, Ohio, Michigan, Florida, there are places a lot more needy than California, whom deserve the help more than border invaders.
Ah yes, that redistribution of wealth argument again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies