Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2018, 01:40 PM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Murderers are criminals. Criminals don't obey laws. Banning guns won't deter criminals. It especially won't deter murder if the reasons for committing murder are
1) Related to gang territory and drug dealing
2) Angry people in an argument who live according to the mentality of "you disrespect me, you die".
3) People who don't value life. There are people who don't see themselves living past 30. Alot of people with that mentality have no empathy and are willing to kill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 01:43 PM

I also want to add this. There is a big mental illness problem not being properly addressed in this nation. That is a contributor to violence.

Last edited by green_mariner; 01-28-2018 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: Typo. Meant to type "big".

Old 01-28-2018, 01:45 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
But you continue to try to twist the real argument. There is no doubt that the AR15 and other similar derivative pieces have useful and legal purposes. But they also have the capability of being used as bullet fire hoses. And that is the issue. If the industry had not developed such things as large magazines and bump stocks you would have a better argument. But they did.

Sheesh. I heartily regret having used the "bullet hose" term. As for higher capacity magazines, those have been around for a LONG time. The detachable box mag is hardly some new industry innovation. Bump stocks, trigger cranks and a few other gizmos designed to increase rate of fire I personally find to be worthless and exacerbating as to the issue of these mass shootings. The purpose of shooting is hitting and things like bump stocks rub my fur the wrong way. However, odd as it may sound, I suppose we should be grateful that clowns like Paddock bought of on them rather than actually learning to shoot.

Oh yea, copious amounts of ammunition can be expended, but the percentage of hits to rounds fired is in reality quite low. It's the aimed vs area fire debate all over again. Serious shooters know that spraying bullets all over the place yield far more misses than hits. You seem more concerned about a particular rifles ability to spray rounds thus, but personally I would be far more concerned with a shooter using a bolt action 30 06.

Such a shooter means to aim his rounds and hit what he's aiming at. But never fear, that type of firearm and it's ability to score precision hits at long range is on the hit list. Right now it's just easier to sell the uninformed and inexperienced on the scary ability to rapidly launch projectiles.

And THAT is the real issue. How many types and models of a particular firearm can be sold to a fearful populace as being unsuitable for ownership by citizens because they have a targeted capability. As to capability, Jerry Mickulek can put 12 rounds ON TARGET from a 6 shot revolver in under two seconds. There are actually quite a few shooter who can do the same. I've seen similar things done by guys using single action revolvers.

Any given firearm is capable of rapid sustained rates of fire. But the number of rounds fired matters a fart in a high wind. It's rounds that actually hit the target that count. A fact that all these mass shooter scumbags have remained blessedly ignorant of. That things like bump stocks are commercially available does not weaken my position one bit. Very few shooters and no serious shooters I know use them. They are a novelty and an extremely wasteful one at that.

They are also notoriously unreliable and prone to malfunction. I personally have zero use for such an item and should they be restricted I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Another point of fact regarding rifles like the AR that comes to mind for me is LE use. I feel far more nervous about trigger happy cops carrying such weapons than I do about the millions in use by private citizens. We've seen numerous examples recently of cops shooting unarmed citizens under their special rules regarding use of lethal force.

That sort of thing happens far more often than some scumbag firing into a crowd. In one recent incident the cop in question killed an unarmed kneeling man, and had "YOUR FU****" engraved on the dust cover of the weapon. That sort of nonsense makes me far more edgy than the millions of ARs and similar rifles in private hands. Even those who's owners have bump stocks. When those who's job it is to protect the pubic from violent criminals emblazon their weapons with slogans that express a desire to kill that should make everyone nervous.

I have to raise an eyebrow at a position that would grant power and authority over what firearms honest citizens can own and use to a central authority staffed by people who openly express a desire and intent to commit murder. We have far bigger issues where firearms are concerned than commercial availability of the AR 15 to honest and lawful citizens. And I believe you are as fully aware as anyone that any bans would not stop with semi auto service rifles like the AR.

You have made accusations of bias, lack of objectivity, twisting of facts, all the way up to outright lies. Yet when asked for actual facts to back these accusations up all that we see is backpedaling, and regurgitation of the same uninformed opinions touted as fact.

Meh...I suppose it's all moot since citizen ownership and use of rifles such as the AR 15is going to continue, and to grow as more and more people become involved in the shooting sports. Attendance at the various matches my son and I compete in has better than tripled in the last two seasons. The youth classes have grown leaps and bounds and it's quite refreshing to see young people leaving the video games behind in favor of competing in an actual port. Learning proper and safe firearms handling and use instead of getting their "education" from action movies and TV shows.

Old 01-28-2018, 01:48 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Murderers are criminals. Criminals don't obey laws. Banning guns won't deter criminals. It especially won't deter murder if the reasons for committing murder are
1) Related to gang territory and drug dealing
2) Angry people in an argument who live according to the mentality of "you disrespect me, you die".
3) People who don't value life. There are people who don't see themselves living past 30. Alot of people with that mentality have no empathy and are willing to kill.
Thanks for pointing that out. It is the truth.

Old 01-28-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Thanks for pointing that out. It is the truth.
No problem. People who don't value life are less likely to value the law. One reason why it's hard to deter some from committing murder. People who perveive themselves as having nothing to lose, nothing to live for, nothingg will stop said individuals from being criminals, murderous ones especially.

Old 01-28-2018, 02:14 PM

9,509 posts, read 4,342,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
Nobody should be allowed to have weapons that make mass killings easy. You know, common sense laws.

Worked for Australia, can work here too.
Compare the rate of decline in gun violence in Australia to that of the United States over the same time period. Australia's draconian gun laws accomplished precisely nothing.

Old 01-28-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Compare the rate of decline in gun violence in Australia to that of the United States over the same time period. Australia's draconian gun laws accomplished precisely nothing.
And Australia has had a lower murder rate than the USA to begin with.

Old 01-28-2018, 02:28 PM

1,875 posts, read 1,326,847 times
ROFL!!!

That my friend is hilarious!!

I fell off my chair reading that nonsense...lol

Thanks for the best laugh I've had all day

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
If you are using this thread as an excuse to vent your own anger at Black Americans, then your input for this thread is worthless, as all you have to offer is hatred.

If you can't tell the difference between regular Black people and hood rats, you are lost. Racial profiling won't deter criminals. It will only anger the law-abiding Black people. And if you think law-abiding Blacks should tolerate being singled out, well, that says alot about your mentality.

As for rap music, alot of White kids listen gangster rap, and don't turn to murder. Whites are the top consumer of gangster rap. Black men were being murdered in high numbers before gangster rap was invented. Most of that occurring in the ghettos and alot of it in the heat of arguments, as well as gangs. Hoood rat dynamic.

You can't ban single parents. Single parents have bern around for a long time ,going back to the 50s and 40s. And something else. Alot of Whites are on welfare, but the murder rate isn't high over all. And Blacks had a higher murder rate than anyone else BEFORE the welfare programs. Go read what Daniel Patrick Moynihan said in his report. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_...ational_Action

Furthermore, sterilization. People are not going to willingly submit to sterilization, unless they are in prison. And something else. Black women get more abortions than any other group of females. And yet, the crime problem persists. Sounds like abortion is not the answer.

We have had culture wars for years. Regular Black people aren't the problem. It exists in higher proportions with the underclass. And I never said ot was normal to be a violent criminal. You don't know anything about me, except perhaps, my race.

Like I said, hood rats don't listen to anyone. This is why the rest of the Black population glees from such types when the chance/opportunity comes. When you havr have individuals who don't expect to live past 30, they don't care. No deterrent will work.

As for those videos, nice job on picking the very worst of the Black population to represent the entire Black population. This is a big part of why race discussions turn ugly. Finding hood rat videos are easy. One reason I didn't watch them. Not worth my time. I can find videos of Black people doing good things and not being hood rats. I can find videos of Black Americans discussing how much they hate hood rats. This stuff is not encouraged by the average Black American. It's encouraged in the ghetto and hood rat circles. Hood rats don't listen to anyone, period.

As for Africans, if you're using Africans to justify hating all Black Americans, you're just being a closeted bigot.

As for people in the 60s, there were hood rats back then too. There were all kinds of crime movies in the 60s. And juvenile violence was an issue in the 50s as well.
https://youtu.be/a_DD_SMjMsE

And no, this didn't represent everyone in the 50s. Just saying it did happen back then too.

And you can't kick U.S. citizens out of the USA. This "send them to Africa" crap is delusional. Not only that, some African cities have thugs more ruthless than American thugs. This is what we know of thugs. Put them in an environment where they can find other thugs, it re-enforces. The only way you can send someone away to make them behave is if they get put in the military.

You mentioned getting beaten. Black youths get more beatings than any other youth demographic. There have been a few Black comedians who made jokes about getting beaten with objects that cause injury. Hasn't deterred some young Black people from committing murder or fighting with police. The suicide rate among some young Black males is on the rise. Sounds like lack of beatings isn't the problem.

Old 01-28-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqttrdr View Post
ROFL!!!

That my friend is hilarious!!

I fell off my chair reading that nonsense...lol

Thanks for the best laugh I've had all day
Let me guess, you disagree with everything I have typed, but you cannot refute it. Thanks for exposing your petulant mindset. You havs proven that a productive, intelligent dialogue is not what you're interested in. You just had an axe to grind.

Old 01-28-2018, 02:38 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Sheesh. I heartily regret having used the "bullet hose" term. As for higher capacity magazines, those have been around for a LONG time. The detachable box mag is hardly some new industry innovation. Bump stocks, trigger cranks and a few other gizmos designed to increase rate of fire I personally find to be worthless and exacerbating as to the issue of these mass shootings. The purpose of shooting is hitting and things like bump stocks rub my fur the wrong way. However, odd as it may sound, I suppose we should be grateful that clowns like Paddock bought of on them rather than actually learning to shoot.

Oh yea, copious amounts of ammunition can be expended, but the percentage of hits to rounds fired is in reality quite low. It's the aimed vs area fire debate all over again. Serious shooters know that spraying bullets all over the place yield far more misses than hits. You seem more concerned about a particular rifles ability to spray rounds thus, but personally I would be far more concerned with a shooter using a bolt action 30 06.

Such a shooter means to aim his rounds and hit what he's aiming at. But never fear, that type of firearm and it's ability to score precision hits at long range is on the hit list. Right now it's just easier to sell the uninformed and inexperienced on the scary ability to rapidly launch projectiles.

And THAT is the real issue. How many types and models of a particular firearm can be sold to a fearful populace as being unsuitable for ownership by citizens because they have a targeted capability. As to capability, Jerry Mickulek can put 12 rounds ON TARGET from a 6 shot revolver in under two seconds. There are actually quite a few shooter who can do the same. I've seen similar things done by guys using single action revolvers.

Any given firearm is capable of rapid sustained rates of fire. But the number of rounds fired matters a fart in a high wind. It's rounds that actually hit the target that count. A fact that all these mass shooter scumbags have remained blessedly ignorant of. That things like bump stocks are commercially available does not weaken my position one bit. Very few shooters and no serious shooters I know use them. They are a novelty and an extremely wasteful one at that.

They are also notoriously unreliable and prone to malfunction. I personally have zero use for such an item and should they be restricted I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Another point of fact regarding rifles like the AR that comes to mind for me is LE use. I feel far more nervous about trigger happy cops carrying such weapons than I do about the millions in use by private citizens. We've seen numerous examples recently of cops shooting unarmed citizens under their special rules regarding use of lethal force.

That sort of thing happens far more often than some scumbag firing into a crowd. In one recent incident the cop in question killed an unarmed kneeling man, and had "YOUR FU****" engraved on the dust cover of the weapon. That sort of nonsense makes me far more edgy than the millions of ARs and similar rifles in private hands. Even those who's owners have bump stocks. When those who's job it is to protect the pubic from violent criminals emblazon their weapons with slogans that express a desire to kill that should make everyone nervous.

I have to raise an eyebrow at a position that would grant power and authority over what firearms honest citizens can own and use to a central authority staffed by people who openly express a desire and intent to commit murder. We have far bigger issues where firearms are concerned than commercial availability of the AR 15 to honest and lawful citizens. And I believe you are as fully aware as anyone that any bans would not stop with semi auto service rifles like the AR.

You have made accusations of bias, lack of objectivity, twisting of facts, all the way up to outright lies. Yet when asked for actual facts to back these accusations up all that we see is backpedaling, and regurgitation of the same uninformed opinions touted as fact.

Meh...I suppose it's all moot since citizen ownership and use of rifles such as the AR 15is going to continue, and to grow as more and more people become involved in the shooting sports. Attendance at the various matches my son and I compete in has better than tripled in the last two seasons. The youth classes have grown leaps and bounds and it's quite refreshing to see young people leaving the video games behind in favor of competing in an actual port. Learning proper and safe firearms handling and use instead of getting their "education" from action movies and TV shows.
Your posts continue to use many words to duck the issue. these weapons are capable of mass destruction in not very capable hands. Paddock for instance fired 2,000 rounds and got over 600 hits...maybe as many as a thousand and he never had a reasonable sight picture on anyone. No skill just the right tool and very big target.

And the cop with the epitaph on his gun case was using his own personal weapon. Not a police force one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies