Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2017, 09:24 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,600,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
Just an observation. Every week in my city there are multiple fundraisers for breast cancer (which has a 99% survival rate), I see signs everywhere for "Girls Who Can Code" classes, "Feminist Karate" classes, then there are all these engineering scholarships exclusively for women. I almost feel as if women have been elevated to a sacred status. Meanwhile in my city, the streets are filled with homeless vets who've been burned/maimed. Or I walk by construction sites and see men laboring at 4 a.m. in the pouring cold rain. Seems like both men and women have hardships in society, but men's problems don't get as much publicity because there's a huge effort to "prove" that everything is peachy for men and everything sucks for women.
Men use the women's restroom at my workplace, what else do you want? It would be nice if they would at least have the courtesy to put the seat down before the leave it, but they don't. Not to mention their aim, it's usually off ... ~i shake my head ~

btw, respect ... it's word that its definition escapes people of today.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:26 PM

15,535 posts, read 10,512,774 times
Quote:
Just an observation. Every week in my city there are multiple fundraisers for breast cancer (which has a 99% survival rate), I see signs everywhere for "Girls Who Can Code" classes, "Feminist Karate" classes, then there are all these engineering scholarships exclusively for women. I almost feel as if women have been elevated to a sacred status. Meanwhile in my city, the streets are filled with homeless vets who've been burned/maimed. Or I walk by construction sites and see men laboring at 4 a.m. in the pouring cold rain. Seems like both men and women have hardships in society, but men's problems don't get as much publicity because there's a huge effort to "prove" that everything is peachy for men and everything sucks for women.
You must not have a television, they are getting a lot of publicity. Men are dropping to their knees all across America, the media can't stop talking about it. Poor babies.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:44 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Generally speaking, men, because they perform so much better than women in higher level math and science classes , don't have trouble gaining admission to schools. Additionally, men often earn more because they are willing to take difficult, dirty and dangerous jobs that woman largely refuse to do. That explains why we have an achievement gap, but it doesn't explain why we have affirmative action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp8tToFv-bA
I have a lady friend who has 2 master's degrees, one in physics and the other in nuclear chemistry. She married her master's mentor who was in charge of the nuclear chemistry program at college.

Once married, they both went into the nuclear power generation field. Because he had a doctorate, he always made more than she did until he came down with a slow terminal disease. Once he became ill, she took over earning the money while he stayed home and became a house-husband until he died.

I never got to meet him. I first met her less than a year after his death. She talks a lot about the difficulties she faced as the only woman in the section she worked, and about half of the section's job was doing some very sophisticated and very dangerous testing.

Essentially, the testing involved heating elements up to the temperature of the sun while observing and recording what happened.

It was extremely dangerous work, but she loved it, and all the burly men who gave her grief constantly feared that part of the lab so much she ended up being the only one there who would do those particular tests. The men liked to do the compiling of the test info a lot better. It wasn't hazardous, and it was something they could do routinely, with no big mental challenge.

They all worked at a testing lab, and twice a year, all their tests had to be put together in a report for distribution and further examination by the entire nuclear field internationally.
Everyone hated that equally, as it was all long hours of drudgery, but she was the only one who ever stuck with her part and got it done on time.
And then, she was the only one the division boss called in on mandatory overtime to finish the work the men had not completed.

Time she would rather have spent with her slowly dying husband.

When she got a good offer for an early retirement, made mostly because she was one of the leading candidates to replace the section honcho when he retired and all the men who had been there longer were hollering about it, she took the buy-out and got out.

She didn't need the money. Her husband spent a lot of time investing their income, and did very well at it.
They never had kids, so he did his best to set his wife up just as good as he could.

But she loved her job, was extremely good at it, and was a lot braver than any of the men who worked with her.

She is bitter about all the grief they handed her sometimes, but mostly, she saw it as just the typical crap any female would get, and she said the attitudes were no different when they were both working.

The only difference was her husband could have gotten any guy who worked with her fired if the verbal abuse happened at her other job.

If you live anywhere close to a nuclear power plant, you can sleep easy tonight, because she did her job and took the crap and just kept doing what she did.

Does STEM help this? Yes, it does. Not for her, but for the women who will follow her into that lab. There will be mostly men there, but in the future, some other really smart woman will have the chance to get the leadership position she was never offered, and we will all benefit from that.

The best person for the job should never depend on gender if all the skills needed are superior.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:16 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Quote:
With loads of black men in jail and white men on opiods. Both segment of men can not find any sort of employment and marginalized by society. Something needs to be done to help white men on drugs and black men in prison.

Old 10-19-2017, 12:22 AM

866 posts, read 320,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
when did men start becoming such coddled babies?
When did you become an intolerant person with no empathy?

Old 10-19-2017, 02:16 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I have a lady friend who has 2 master's degrees, one in physics and the other in nuclear chemistry. She married her master's mentor who was in charge of the nuclear chemistry program at college.

Once married, they both went into the nuclear power generation field. Because he had a doctorate, he always made more than she did until he came down with a slow terminal disease. Once he became ill, she took over earning the money while he stayed home and became a house-husband until he died.

I never got to meet him. I first met her less than a year after his death. She talks a lot about the difficulties she faced as the only woman in the section she worked, and about half of the section's job was doing some very sophisticated and very dangerous testing.

Essentially, the testing involved heating elements up to the temperature of the sun while observing and recording what happened.

It was extremely dangerous work, but she loved it, and all the burly men who gave her grief constantly feared that part of the lab so much she ended up being the only one there who would do those particular tests. The men liked to do the compiling of the test info a lot better. It wasn't hazardous, and it was something they could do routinely, with no big mental challenge.

They all worked at a testing lab, and twice a year, all their tests had to be put together in a report for distribution and further examination by the entire nuclear field internationally.
Everyone hated that equally, as it was all long hours of drudgery, but she was the only one who ever stuck with her part and got it done on time.
And then, she was the only one the division boss called in on mandatory overtime to finish the work the men had not completed.

Time she would rather have spent with her slowly dying husband.

When she got a good offer for an early retirement, made mostly because she was one of the leading candidates to replace the section honcho when he retired and all the men who had been there longer were hollering about it, she took the buy-out and got out.

She didn't need the money. Her husband spent a lot of time investing their income, and did very well at it.
They never had kids, so he did his best to set his wife up just as good as he could.

But she loved her job, was extremely good at it, and was a lot braver than any of the men who worked with her.

She is bitter about all the grief they handed her sometimes, but mostly, she saw it as just the typical crap any female would get, and she said the attitudes were no different when they were both working.

The only difference was her husband could have gotten any guy who worked with her fired if the verbal abuse happened at her other job.

If you live anywhere close to a nuclear power plant, you can sleep easy tonight, because she did her job and took the crap and just kept doing what she did.

Does STEM help this? Yes, it does. Not for her, but for the women who will follow her into that lab. There will be mostly men there, but in the future, some other really smart woman will have the chance to get the leadership position she was never offered, and we will all benefit from that.

The best person for the job should never depend on gender if all the skills needed are superior.

Link or you made it up.

Old 10-19-2017, 07:44 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,657,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
From what I have read studies have shown men are willing to work more hours than women, it's not that men are doing better than women. More women would rather work part time and be a mom than work 70 hours a week. Sure the men working 70 hours a week make more money, then they die at 62 a day after they retire lol. I'm sure some men would love to work part time and be a dad, it's not like they're given the option. Women simply don't want to do the jobs that entail sacrificing that much of your life.
being a mom is hard work..

Old 10-19-2017, 07:47 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,657,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Link or you made it up.
link to what? A blog?

what a weird thing to say.

Old 10-19-2017, 07:50 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
[quote=jrt1979;49860516]

Quote:
No, not at all. This is especially true for women. In less developed parts of the world they generally don't go out of their way to level the playing field for women because they're viewed as less capable. The tend to let the game play out on it's own. This is why a woman's role in many of these societies is not much different than it would have been a 1,000 years ago.
I'm referring to your statement that society helps those that are less capable i.c. women with children, disabled, elderly. Why would a society have assistance programs for those who are capable. The idea is to help the more unfortunate.

Quote:
No, not at all. This is why it's much less common to see a LTR where the woman is as capable as the man. They exist, in large numbers these days, but it's still not the norm. This is because it's in a woman's DNA to not pursue a man that is less capable than her. It's the exact opposite for men. It's in a man's DNA to take care of a woman. If a woman is more capable than a man, the chances of said man pursuing a LTR with said woman aren't good. Occasionally you will get that worthless guy that will sponge of of a girl creating the illusion that she's the more capable of the two, but in these situations the man is still the more capable of the two, he may be playing a different card, but he's still in control.
There is no merit to that. As many men seek a partner, marriage a family as do women. If that were not true you would have a polygamous society and/or a disproportional number of couples to singles.
You apparently dont have the slightest idea how DNA works or what it is.
The reason women look for stability and a provider is because historically women were prevented from earning an income, earning an income capable of supporting a family. Even before that women were prevented from using weapons, hunting, even being out un-chaperoned. They had no choice but to find someone to support them. This is not an issue of capability but allowance and opportunity. Not so much today although women still look for a capable provider if a family is in the future as women often must loose work due to pregnancy, birth and child care.

Women are held to a different standard in that the bar is not set as high for them from day 1.

Quote:
If a guy makes 25K a year, he's a loser. If a woman makes 25k a year it's not a big deal.
Only in your head. That is personal opinion.
Quote:
If a guy is somewhat good at something like playing guitar or performing magic tricks, he's just some dude with a hobby. Show me a woman of equal talent, and people are blown away!
Again in your head.

Quote:
If a guy invents some new technology or scientific breakthrough, we generally never hear about it unless it's exceptional. If a woman does the same it's in popular science and on CNN.

If a guy remodels a bathroom, he's just some dude that remodeled his own bathroom. If a woman does the same, she a total badazz!

If a guy trips and falls in public, and it doesn't appear to be serious, people will go about their business or even laugh. If a woman does the same, someone will come to her rescue. I could go on all day with this stuff.

As far as accountability goes, I can make similar analogies.

If a guy is playing with fireworks and accidentally blows his fingers off, he's an idiot. A woman does the same, and it's tragic.

If a guy goes out and gets a a woman pregnant on a one night stand, he's a jerk for getting a girl pregnant. If a girl goes out and get's pregnant on a one night stand, some jerk got her pregnant.

If a guy breaks down and has a crying spell at work, he's seen as being mentally unstable. If a woman does the same, it's no big deal.

If man gets drunk and goes home with someone he wouldn't normally sleep with, it's funny. If a woman does the same, it's rape.

ETC....ETC.....ETC....
All in your head. This may be the attitude of particular individuals and also be just the opposite for particular individuals.

No, men are more capable at most things. Women do well in academic environments because they tend to mature faster, and they're generally more responsible than men, but if we're talking adult men and woman 25+, men tend to simply be better at most tasks on average.

Take 10 random men and women with no previous experience in construction and have them build a deck through instructions in a book. The men will dramatically outperform the women

Take 10 random men and women and have them listen to some con-artist motivational speaker. The men will call BS both faster and more often.

Take 10 men and 10 women and have them play a game of Pacman. The men on average will be better.

Take 10 random men and women and strand them on an island. More of those men will figure out how to get off that island.

ETC...ETC....ETC....
Quote:
This doesn't mean that men don't have their own genetic shortcomings as well. Men are in general, risk takers. This is why men excel at self destructive behavior, which is why men start wars, go to prison, destroy their health etc.
Yes, its hormonal, testosterone.

Old 10-19-2017, 07:51 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post

Of your entire hysterical rant, this one is hands-down the funniest.
it was not posted by me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies