Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 09:16 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,748,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
Marc Faber investment letter defends statues, praises 'white majority' - Business Insider

Wrote it in a financial/business newsletter like it was nothing.
I always knew Faber was a weirdo but didn't realize he was also a bigot.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:16 AM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
The truth may set you free but it may also cost you your job and business.
His views are mainstream throughout Asia so depends how much of his business is rooted there and elsewhere.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:18 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,586,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Has he come out with the "I was misconstrued" statement, or a non apology?

You know, the classic "I apologize IF I offended anyone" malarkey?
would you prefer he sticks to his original statement and defends it without backing down?

because that's what he's doing.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:25 AM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Yes, as said earlier, maybe the whole world would be better if Europeans stayed in Europe.

Since Africans had been trading with the Arabs prior to European colonization, their interactions may have been far more civil and perhaps the Amerindians wouldn't have killed out as much.
Not really sure you realize how racist of a statement you just made.

The idea that the Europeans were more inclined to genocide etc. due to their race is just that.

Regardless, there are many good history books detailing non-European civilizations and how they got along prior to European colonialism. I'd start with chapters on the Aztecs and their peaceful nature and treatment of other indigenous peoples. Then read up on the American indian tribes and so forth....maybe you'll find out who sold Sacajawea into slavery?

The Europeans were no better or worse in total than others, they were just better armed and organized.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:49 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Actually, it STILL has been the bastion of civilization. The majority of tech, health advancements, science, etc. has come out of Europe and North America over the last 200 years.

It has had advanced first world problems that don't normally attach to hunter-gather societies who hadn't even invented the wheel by the 1500s. This includes major wars and empire building. Primitive cultures don't get extra credit for *not* doing something that they *couldn't* do even if they wanted to.

If we look at post-colonial Africa, however, there is no evidence to suggest that given the means, Africans act any differently or more peacefully than anyone else.

Not saying primitive societies aren't valuable or don't have merit. But all of us here in the US should be damned happy we were 1) colonized by the British as opposed to Spanish or Portuguese (I have heritage from all three so I can say that without hesitation) and 2) that our tradition and culture is built on western values in general, as opposed to Middle Eastern or even east Asian.

It's why the most progressive nations on earth are in Europe and north America. It's why white European societies are better to minorities of all kinds than in places on this planet where minorities are majorities.

It's why DESPITE being white supremacist hell-holes, the entire third world is banging down the door to move to Europe, the US and Canada.
So. Everything isn’t about the latest iPhone. Civilization doesn’t mean much if we lose our humanity.

The Germans were coming up with great technological advances while murdering millions somewhere else.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:56 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,418,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
So. Everything isn’t about the latest iPhone. Civilization doesn’t mean much if we lose our humanity.

The Germans were coming up with great technological advances while murdering millions somewhere else.
And the Germans lost. Because there was enough resistance to be mustered to stop Nazism's threat to western civilization as we (knew/know) it.

The greatest civilizations the world has seen typically had a warring component and expanded as far as they could. From Greece to Rome to the Persians to China and Arabia.

War and civilization are not always enemies. They kinda go hand and hand. Before civilization there was little reason to go to war.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:18 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,579,129 times
Quote:
And the Germans lost. Because there was enough resistance to be mustered to stop Nazism's threat to western civilization as we (knew/know) it.

The greatest civilizations the world has seen typically had a warring component and expanded as far as they could. From Greece to Rome to the Persians to China and Arabia.

War and civilization are not always enemies. They kinda go hand and hand. Before civilization there was little reason to go to war.
Wow. Before civilization, we have been constantly at war. If I see you walking into my parcel of land, I just killl you.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:19 AM

16,560 posts, read 10,647,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The Germans are easily the most technically advanced nation in Europe. Probably pretty close the most culturally advanced too, for what it’s worth.

They also tried to wipe two ethnic groups off the face of the Earth.

You do realize, do you not, that genocide is not the exclusive province of white Europeans? Or are you not familiar with what the Hutus of Rwanda did to their Tutsi neighbors?

Given that the person doing the quoting is a financier (I believe), it seems reasonable to assess his comments through the lens of finance. Simply put, which countries are better to do business in? Which ones are wealthier? Which ones offer greater financial opportunities?

Personally, I agree with him. I would vastly rather live in, and do business in, and visit, most white-majority countries over most black-majority countries.

If that makes me a racist, then so be it.

Old 10-18-2017, 12:42 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,616,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
You do realize, do you not, that genocide is not the exclusive province of white Europeans? Or are you not familiar with what the Hutus of Rwanda did to their Tutsi neighbors?
Under the influence of the Catholic Church, or, more correctly, stirred up by priests. The Hutu Power movement was founded by a priest and it was members of the clergy who set the Hutus against their neighbors.

The Catholic Church is not a native African institution. (And yes, I know the fault was not in Catholic doctrine but in the actions of people within the church. Still, one //pics3.city-data.com/images/cdfh.jpgwould have expected the Pope and bishops to have done something about the actions of said priests, especially considering how John Paul II elsewhere in the world was a great fighter for human rights. )

Quote:
Given that the person doing the quoting is a financier (I believe), it seems reasonable to assess his comments through the lens of finance. Simply put, which countries are better to do business in? Which ones are wealthier? Which ones offer greater financial opportunities?

Personally, I agree with him. I would vastly rather live in, and do business in, and visit, most white-majority countries over most black-majority countries.

If that makes me a racist, then so be it.
So you'd rather do business in Venezuela, Ukraine, Argentina, or Russia than in Botswana, Jamaica, or Cape Verde?

Old 10-18-2017, 01:12 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,616,636 times
Quote:

While I agree with most of what you say there certainly was war before civilization. There has been war as long as there have been humans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies