Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 05:51 PM

20,187 posts, read 9,083,605 times

Advertisements

the southwest is full of losers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 06:26 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,722,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Not that I expect you to reply, even in your own Threads, since it is not your "style". But I will remind the faithful that Arizona is a RED State, so shouldn't they have the answer to such a simple issue?
And Phoenix is a red city. Not that it matters. Here in South Florida the problems are similar. There are beggars at traffic lights and people sleeping on the sidewalks, and parks are taken over by the homeless, mentally ill, and the druggies. I guess they prefer warmer climates. They say the scum settles on the bottom, and you can't get further South than South Florida or Arizona.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 10-25-2017 at 07:42 PM..

Old 10-25-2017, 07:36 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,858,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
meanwhile....

vosizneias

Trump shouldn't play golf because the homeless are crappin' in a park in Arizona...

Old 10-25-2017, 07:43 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,722,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Trump shouldn't play golf because the homeless are crappin' in a park in Arizona...
Well, he could spend some time trying to resolve issues like poverty and homelessness, as opposed to playing golf all the time.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:48 PM

31,110 posts, read 22,149,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
In those areas, the social dysfunction is hidden.
Looking at the murder and violent crime rate of those highly Republican areas would prove that statement as incorrect.

Old 10-26-2017, 12:09 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,279,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
I've lived in a very nice medium sized city in this country. High education levels and high average incomes. Huge social safety net for the homeless - enough so that the homeless deliberately moved to that city because the benefits were so good (I heard them talking one day). Huge pill and alcohol issues. I saw the homeless standing in small groups just inside the door of a public building trading pills. I had to go into that building and went through another door. The homeless had their own campground set up on the edge of the town and are regularly handed camping gear to get by but spent most of their day sitting in the in-town parks and sleeping on the benches. The drunks are referred to as "chronic inebriates". The regular vehicle break-ins are referred to as "pilferings". The feces and occasional sex acts that are witnessed in store doorways are brushed aside. One day I was walking from meeting to meeting in town and the same homeless person asked me three times over the course of a few hours if I had any money to give him. The city turns a blind eye for long periods of time, uses euphemisms to try to minimize the impact, and then throws money at the problem when the pressure mounts to do "something" about them.

Your observation has some merit. I don't think of the homeless as "vermin" but it's hard to feel sorry for them. Plenty of us have faced immense challenges in our lives. Plenty of us. We all have our stories. We've all had our heartaches, tragedies, disappointments. Not all of us have forced our challenges onto the communities around us.

We haven't made our public spaces into violent, dangerous, filthy, sh^tholes. We haven't forced the community to spend tax dollars trying to alleviate the consequences of our decisions. We don't make our communities feel endangered. We don't lower property taxes of hard working home owners.

When life kicks us in the ass we work through it. We fight to regain our lives. We contribute to our homes, our families, our communities, our country. Because that's what responsible adults do. I'm not heartless. I know that there is mental illness, addiction issues, and that not everyone has the strength to be able to pull themselves out of bad situations. I will gladly help anyone who wants to help themselves. Any way I can.

But you can't help anyone who doesn't want to help themselves, and many of these individuals have no desire to live any other way. And I'll be damned if I will feel sorry for anyone who consciously chooses to live this way while imposing their nasty-ass, disgusting decisions on decent, hard working people who are just quietly trying to live their lives.
I agree with you the problem is I think that the people who are homeless who want to get out are not getting the help they need. While shelters are needed and they help the homeless have somewhere to sleep and get something to eat most of them are only that they will not help the homeless get out of being homeless. Another problem for the homeless is even if they find a job it is usually a low wage in an area with expensive housing which puts them on the fringe of being homeless again. I personally like the Housing First method but like you said I do not want to help those who do not want to be helped so maybe we could make it available only to those actually want to get out of being homeless.

Old 10-26-2017, 12:33 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,249,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
the southwest is full of losers
That's very helpful

Old 10-27-2017, 07:48 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,641,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Homeless often go to places where the winters aren't very cold. This is why they are going to Texas, Florida, Georgia, and California. They're going to places where it's warm, or at the least, tolerable in the winter.
Glad you mentioned Florida since this is what we do.....

https://thewingnutrva.files.wordpres...ellybanner.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/x9zJSqqz3Ao/maxresdefault.jpg

then them being arrested because they were feeding the homeless at Lake Eola park downtown

http://farm9.static.flickr.com/8154/...49a3e58ca9.jpg

perhaps Phoenix doesn't have enough resources to deal with their homeless problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies