Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 07:32 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,641,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Thank you! As a Phoenix native, Christian, and a conservative Republican, it doesn't matter what "color" a state is, the homeless population has increased in the Phoenix area in recent years, as well as in many other cities and it's a tough problem to address because government cannot and should not provide the means to fix this problem, plus churches of all denominations have done a lot more to address this issue than government at all levels could have done. It's a problem that will continue to grow until every person learns to become responsible for their own lives.

Every homeless person's situation or circumstance that led to their homelessness is different, you cannot assume that every such person is in the predicament because of drugs, yes some of them are out there with signs and begging for money just to get their daily fix, but a lot of the ones I have talked to are veterans, and some have had criminal offenses, and in today's job market, it's tough to get hired anywhere since every employer does background checks on new hires. There are, however, organizations and companies in the Phoenix area, and other cities as well, that will hire such people to help them get a new start in life.
There is no acceptable solution to the homeless problem, because the only two actual solutions are abhorrent: A. Life sentence in prison or B. Death penalty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 07:33 AM

50,429 posts, read 47,155,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Thats mainly because of the addictive nature of these 2 drugs, its not like pot, people that are hooked on heroin or meth, NEED it multiple times a day,and will go to great lengths to get it. this is usually why they are homeless to begin with, they end up spending all their money on dope and blow off rent and other bills, and eventually burn all their bridges, people that will help them, etc.

I was hooked on heroin for a couple years, I know what it does to your mentality, once addicted its very easy to justify spending your last $100 on dope instead of food, bills, etc. Its amazing what this drug does to your decision making.

When I was using heroin was around $120-150 a gram, (that is more than gold btw), this is mainly due to its illegal status and the risk involved, in reality, heroin should be very cheap, its easily produced and the poppies can grow in lots of places.

More often than not, I think most of the problems come with heroin mainly due to it being illegal/ so expensive.
Curious about how you got hooked on it. Doesn't it have to be injected? That's a pretty big leap from snorting a drug.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:35 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,641,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Curious about how you got hooked on it. Doesn't it have to be injected? That's a pretty big leap from snorting a drug.
You can snort heroin, but have to do it in a MUCH smaller amount than cocaine, or you will OD

Old 10-25-2017, 07:53 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,947,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Phoenix to crack down on homeless encampments, spend $500K on services

Guess, that they thought that a community park would improve the neighborhood but almost immediately it was closed from the garbage, needles and feces.

I am surprised that the neighborhood park had problems in the summer as most of the Phoenix homeless sleep and ride the trains all day and night.

I have to say that even as a 6 foot tall guy, I am afraid of riding the light-rail here in Phoenix because it isn't the homelessness but the filth and people who are drug and high as a kite on illicit drugs.
You conservatives want to have your cake and eat it to. You won't pay for mental health treatment centers or free housing and then you expect the homeless problem to vanish?

Old 10-25-2017, 07:54 AM

50,429 posts, read 47,155,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
You can snort heroin, but have to do it in a MUCH smaller amount than cocaine, or you will OD
Is most heroin snorted? I've never heard of that but I stay away from drugs in general so I don't know.

Old 10-25-2017, 08:00 AM

23,593 posts, read 17,269,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
meanwhile....

vosizneias
yep, the instant trump was elected Phoenix went downhill. Usually it takes years to deteriorate. Apparently obama's solution made it worse. What? he did have a solution or he never took notice?

Old 10-25-2017, 08:05 AM

25,857 posts, read 16,560,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Sorry, but I am doing nothing but reminding the OP that just loves to ramble on about Blue States and Cities (which all major cities are) that AZ, where he lives, is a RED state, and as such should have resolved the issue if they actually have a resolution. That seems to have triggered you, take a few deep breaths next time. As for IQ's, it seems to be important to you, I can assure you that mine has tested far higher than yours. Now run along, Skippy.
Blue cities like Minneapolis that not long ago was clean and safe until this brigade of Democratic misfits led by mayor “Bike Lane” Betty Hodges has destroyed the place and has it on the way to being a cold Baltimore.

So what is your point? Are you defending these morons?

Old 10-25-2017, 08:14 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,886,278 times
There are a number of sites that show statistics on cities with high homeless population, and there are differences in each one, probably because of how those stats were compiled. The one below lists the top 10 cities with the most homeless population, although Phoenix is not on the list, I wouldn't be too surprised if it were in the top 15 or 20.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/culture/c...tml/?a=viewall

Old 10-25-2017, 08:30 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,459,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
It's telling how homeless people are being spoken of as if they're vermin rather humans who are facing immense challenges few of us could even imagine. Is money and luck what determines human status?
Oh please, many homeless are lost causes from their own choices and many even choose to continue to live like that. The ones who ended up there through no fault of their own are the ones that try to do something about it. The others? Not so much.

Old 10-25-2017, 08:32 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,947,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Oh please, many homeless are lost causes from their own choices and many even choose to continue to live like that. The ones who ended up there through no fault of their own are the ones that try to do something about it. The others? Not so much.
Thats no excuse for a society to do nothing. Plenty of other wealthy countries offer free housing and mental care to the homeless. Only in the US have I seen such morally bankrupt statements such as yours that they deserve there fate absolutely ridiculous. You want to have your cake and eat it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies