Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 12:40 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times

Advertisements

Given the propensities of this administration I expect them to make being "homeless" as much a crime as being an illegal immigrant just because your parents did not leave you behind when you were two years old. In either case Sheriff Arpaio and his buddy the Donald would gladly toss you into a "Relocation Facility" until you could get a home. So would most Trumpsters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 12:43 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
FWIW - I have a friend that works with homeless and addicts North of here in central NH. He knows people that could go to a 'shelter' but find a waste cardboard filled dumpster more comfortable. BTW - the Lakes region of NH is not warm in the winter. that lake gets 3 ft. of ice on it most winters. Sometimes more.

Old 10-25-2017, 12:49 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,123,778 times
It's hella bad in San Francisco too. There are people even living in boats that are parked on trailers on side streets and whatnot. I've seen a lot of homeless camps before but I've not seen people living in boats on trailers parked in side streets before.

Old 10-25-2017, 01:07 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I've been saying this as well. Warmer states attract more homeless. Who would want to be homeless where it gets very cold in the winter?
I dunno maybe you should drive to Reno in February and ask the homeless why they are slogging around in the snow when they could be in Las Vegas? Maybe it's because most people who are homeless stay where they last had a permanent residence?

Old 10-25-2017, 01:09 PM

4,515 posts, read 2,520,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
There is no acceptable solution to the homeless problem, because the only two actual solutions are abhorrent: A. Life sentence in prison or B. Death penalty.
Well there are a couple of alternate solutions...a lot of the homeless are people with either mental illness or drug addiction. Securing our borders, eliminating chain immigration, deporting those here illegally, amending the constitution to stop anchor baby citizenship will reduce costs. Using the money saved from that, and ending money sent to foreign countries (and using that) to pay for free mental health care and drug addiction treatment, will help make some of those homeless employable and more stable. Use old military barracks, and existing ice holding centers to house homeless people, where they can receive training in job interviewing, GED's, vocational training. Offer incentives to companies that hire them as apprentices/interns. Give priority for all of these programs to military veterans and those over 50 yrs old. At all homeless shelters, have kennels for any pets they own and encourage foster care families for their pets until they complete drug rehab and get housing.

I'd like to see our money kept here in the US to assist our own citizens...Stop sending money out of the country to Africa, Middle east,etc. Stop trying to rebuild countries that hate us and have been fighting each other for hundreds of years. Crack down on welfare fraud, food stamp fraud, disability fraud.

Old 10-25-2017, 01:10 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,938,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post

When life kicks us in the ass we work through it. We fight to regain our lives. We contribute to our homes, our families, our communities, our country. Because that's what responsible adults do. I'm not heartless. I know that there is mental illness, addiction issues, and that not everyone has the strength to be able to pull themselves out of bad situations. I will gladly help anyone who wants to help themselves. Any way I can.
This is a very easy thing to say as you sit in your comfortable suburban home with your six figure job and 2.5 kids. I would like to believe that if you lost everything you due to your superior work ethic you would recover. Yet somehow I doubt it once your at the bottom moving up is difficult. Even if you get off the streets recovering to your former level is a daunting task indeed. Do not judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoes.

Old 10-25-2017, 01:11 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,811,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Exactly...lol.

What's the unspoken solution they're really hoping for - to wave a wand and make people who happen to be homeless magically disappear altogether?
Looks to be that way. Looks like people just complain but can't figure out a real solution for it.

Old 10-25-2017, 01:13 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,938,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
Looks to be that way. Looks like people just complain but can't figure out a real solution for it.
Plenty of solutions its just tightwad conservatives would rather not pay for them also private charity is woefully inadequate to deal with this crisis.

Old 10-25-2017, 01:13 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
Well there are a couple of alternate solutions...a lot of the homeless are people with either mental illness or drug addiction. Securing our borders, eliminating chain immigration, deporting those here illegally, amending the constitution to stop anchor baby citizenship will reduce costs. Using the money saved from that, and ending money sent to foreign countries (and using that) to pay for free mental health care and drug addiction treatment, will help make some of those homeless employable and more stable. Use old military barracks, and existing ice holding centers to house homeless people, where they can receive training in job interviewing, GED's, vocational training. Offer incentives to companies that hire them as apprentices/interns. Give priority for all of these programs to military veterans and those over 50 yrs old. At all homeless shelters, have kennels for any pets they own and encourage foster care families for their pets until they complete drug rehab and get housing.

I'd like to see our money kept here in the US to assist our own citizens...Stop sending money out of the country to Africa, Middle east,etc. Stop trying to rebuild countries that hate us and have been fighting each other for hundreds of years. Crack down on welfare fraud, food stamp fraud, disability fraud.
Chain immigration and birthright citizenship cause homelessness? Putting the homeless or anyone who has not been convicted of a crime in army barracks or ICE holding centers is unconstitutional, that's patently absurd. We send money to other countries not just for altruistic reasons but to influence who they sell their oil and natural resources to, you want to cut that off and let Russia or China give them money instead?

Old 10-25-2017, 01:14 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,123,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I dunno maybe you should drive to Reno in February and ask the homeless why they are slogging around in the snow when they could be in Las Vegas? Maybe it's because most people who are homeless stay where they last had a permanent residence?
Don't know if I would agree with all that. There are plenty of homeless in my area which never used to be around here. In fact, I know a chick who's basically homeless and she's always scouting out new places to live that are weather friendly. Her current possible prospect is Miami Beach FL., in other words, on the other side of the country. I asked her why not Hawaii. She said Hawaii seems to restrictive, as in she'd feel stranded on an island out in the middle of the ocean. I told her Hawaii is fairly large and it's not like she would be traveling vast distances all the time while being homeless. Basically all land a homeless person roams I'd say is roughly a 5 square mile radius.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies