Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 11:24 PM

3,827 posts, read 1,780,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Agreed. It's common sense. Because when you work for something and own it, you care about it more than if you were a renter who had no stake in the future value of that asset.
I disagree, not all renters are like this. Many renters take pride in their home and yards. It really comes down to the individual not renting vs owning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 11:26 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
It's telling how homeless people are being spoken of as if they're vermin rather humans who are facing immense challenges few of us could even imagine. Is money and luck what determines human status?

Old 10-24-2017, 11:28 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
Its kinda sad that most of the posters (that responded) cannot have an actual conversation about what the OP is discussing in this thread. Most of the comments offer no solutions, no understanding of living amongst these type of individuals and no real care.

Look something has to be done about this. Parks are for all citizens to enjoy, but when the homeless take over it ruins it for everybody. I see it where I live and its a mess. The amount of trash that is always littered on the ground, the unpredictable people, general feeling of an unsafe atmosphere.

So what's causing it ? Rising housing costs, loss of jobs, the availability of drugs and addiction? Has our president talked about the issue?

I don't think its fair to people who live around this problem not to talk about it or think of how to address it.
Why do you think the OP said anything? Nothing of value in the OP but another post from that same person said "why can't they be like the good folks who live over in that area".

Granted some of his comments in other threads have been funny even when they are ridiculous, but substance in this thread? Nope

Old 10-24-2017, 11:29 PM

Quote:
I disagree, not all renters are like this. Many renters take pride in their home and yards. It really comes down to the individual not renting vs owning.
You're the only one saying all renters. And it comes down to owners having a vested interested in the long term value. You ignored that the first time I posted it.
Your statement is childish. Are you a renter?

Old 10-25-2017, 01:14 AM

3,827 posts, read 1,780,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
You're the only one saying all renters. And it comes down to owners having a vested interested in the long term value. You ignored that the first time I posted it.
Your statement is childish. Are you a renter?

Actually LOVESHISCOUNTRY you said, "when you work for something and own it, you care about it more than if you were a renter."

So maybe your the one who's presenting the idea that only a select group of individuals care about taking care of their home and property. I disagreed and that's not childish to say so.

Old 10-25-2017, 01:25 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,905,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Not amazing at all. Low crime suburbs with large number of owner occupied homes, and people with good jobs usually have plenty of bored cops who are ready, willing and able to herd cats (chase the homeless) all night. Urban areas put a lot more demands on Police and there usually aren't enough to deal with petty crime or loitering by the homeless. Red state, blue state, purple state..makes zero difference...it's the same in upper middle income suburban areas near San Francisco, they have lots of cops with nothing to do and that always results in fewer visible homeless.

I'm surprised that I even had to tell you that.
Yeah it's like the OP doesn't understand the concept of correlation, and ignores any data points that invalidate his ludicrous theories.

Old 10-25-2017, 01:26 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Phoenix to crack down on homeless encampments, spend $500K on services

Guess, that they thought that a community park would improve the neighborhood but almost immediately it was closed from the garbage, needles and feces.

I am surprised that the neighborhood park had problems in the summer as most of the Phoenix homeless sleep and ride the trains all day and night.

I have to say that even as a 6 foot tall guy, I am afraid of riding the light-rail here in Phoenix because it isn't the homelessness but the filth and people who are drug and high as a kite on illicit drugs.

In Phoenix the trains run all night? Nothing runs in Portland between about 2a and 4a.

Old 10-25-2017, 01:29 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
The mayor of Phoenix is a liberal Democrat though.

Amazing, how suburbs such as Scottsdale, Gilbert and Fountain Hills keep their fantastic parks open with out the issues that Phoenix has.

For example, in the Republican suburb of Gilbert they have beautifully manicured parks that are litter free with none of the negative elements subjecting the town's residents to stresses that would make them uncomfortable.

Sadly, Phoenix they celebrate the opening of a park but it was soon closed because it was overwhelmed with fecal matter and heroin needles.

Phoenix has a long history of celebration openings and than it goes downhill almost immediately. Every time they extend the light-rail, the adjacent neighborhood becomes a cesspool of filth almost immediately.

I am sure when they opened up the light-rail they didn't envision it becoming a filthy and smelly experience with trains reeking of illegal drugs and people high as a kite.

Does Gilbert even have homeless people?

Old 10-25-2017, 01:44 AM

671 posts, read 445,267 times
If more cities would have those portable toilets like at construction sites in areas where they are accessible to those without toilets, SHOWERS for those who have no roof but struggle to keep good hygiene the best they can to feel human again, HOUSING that is AFFORDABLE, FOOD that doesn't have to be cooked, SERVICES for those who need a shower...instead of building parks, maybe these people wouldn't invade pristine places? Ya think?

Old 10-25-2017, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Actually LOVESHISCOUNTRY you said, "when you work for something and own it, you care about it more than if you were a renter."
And that is correct. Only someone lacking in reason would think otherwise.

Quote:
So maybe your the one who's presenting the idea that only a select group of individuals care about taking care of their home and property.
Again you are the one saying only, not me. that's twice in a row you've made that same mistake.

Quote:
I disagreed and that's not childish to say so.
It is childish to continue to be deceitful on what I said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies