Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would be the most effective at curbing America’s gun violence?
More guns in the hands of more people 92 41.44%
Less guns in the hands of less people 130 58.56%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 06:14 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,242,758 times

Advertisements

Can we move the conversation back to guns and why they are destroying America and its people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 06:15 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,398,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
Can we move the conversation back to guns and why they are destroying America and its people.
Are they?

Old 11-06-2017, 06:17 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,037,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post

Lets put it this way, guns are quite "acceptable".
Firearms owners are not obnoxious jerks who play know it all and throw around the "power" feeling that carrying a weapon supposedly brings. Because there is no such "power." We are NOT walking around out here looking for any excuse to even show our weapon, let alone use it. We are however prepared to defend ourselves and our loved ones should the true need arise, and we are fully aware that having to do so will not see us treated as any sort of "hero."
Indeed, they are. While I blast "gun nuts," understand that my contempt for them comes from the notion that more guns somehow fix all problems and that "anyone" - regardless of crimes, mental instability, or just staggering irresponsibility - should be allowed to "own whatever gun they want."

That's just stupid. We don't allow known, drunken loons to go out and buy big-rigs and crash them all over the highway. And when we discover somebody is utterly wreckless behind the wheel, we eventually take away their right to drive (if not their actual car) if they cannot get their act together. Many people die every year - even more than from gun violence - because of idiots on the road, but at least efforts are taken to reduce their impact or those numbers would be even higher.

That's why I have no patience with gun-nuts who think that guns are somehow "sacred" and no laws should be passed that can in any way limit one's right to own them. It is an utter fallacy to claim that since "people kill people," the tool involved doesn't matter. Based on that logic, we should allow drunks to drive since it's the "person" or the "mental illness" doing the killing - as if the 1+ ton steel moving at highway speeds had nothing to do with it! I'm reasonably certain that unarmed drunks wearing nothing but their cloths and moving on foot don't kill too many people each year - the tool involved just *might* have something to do with the outcome of their actions.

With that out of the way, I have no problem with SANE gun owners who admit that, yes, some people should not be allowed to have a gun. I also have no problems with most gun owners, teaching about guns, selling guns, etc. Hell, I'd honestly be happier if basic firearms safety was taught in EVERY high school - that might cut down on some pointless deaths and drill home that guns are NOT TOYS and require real responsibility to own and use. But I have no respect for anyone who claims every drunken, violent, irresponsible, or utterly stupid person should be allowed to "own whatever gun they want" because of a gross misinterpretation of the 2nd Amendment and their own personal gun fetish.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:19 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,674,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
Are they?
Oh yah:

https://www.massshootingtracker.org/data

Unless you think 100,000 people being killed by guns since just the Sandyhook massacre is not a big deal.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:21 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Do you actually think your funny attempts to redefine what the popular vote is fools anyone?
I'm not redefining the popular vote. You are.

Trump won the popular vote in 50% more states than Hillary. That is absolutely a fact.

And for the point at hand, the citizens of the EU get 0 opportunity to vote for ANY EU prime minister nor the head of the EU itself. This is a fact as well. Thankfully we here in the USA not only get to vote for President, but we also get to vote for our governors which head each state.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
Are they?
Oops. I made a mistake. It’s actually 150,000 people killed by guns since then. That’s about the population of Fort Lauderdale being wiped out in the last 5 years.

150,000 Americans Killed by Guns Since Sandy Hook | Stop Handgun Violence

Old 11-06-2017, 06:25 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Unless you think 100,000 people being killed by guns since just the Sandyhook massacre is not a big deal.
100,000 killed? Not even close.

You can't even read your own chart. LOL

Old 11-06-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post

Lol. Yah. It’s actually a 150,000 killed by guns. You find that funny too?

http://www.stophandgunviolence.org/1...ce-sandy-hook/

Old 11-06-2017, 06:28 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
Your chances of getting killed by a drunk driving liberal are far higher than getting shot by a conservative gun owner.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:32 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,501,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post

Small brains considers suicide and negligent discharges as relevant for violent murders too...

I post FBI numbers 2011-15 15 reports 9,616 homicide. Even provided a link.
Those evil "assault rifles" 252 deaths.
What has killed more according to the UCR chart?
Knives- 1,544
Blunt objects-437
Hands fist and feet-624

Waldo watch... they'll shift the goal posts again.

They are under the impression guns are the cause. The operator of the inanimate object is not to blame...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies