Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 07:14 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,483,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
They should do it old-school:

How did they ever afford those fancy-lookin' suits. Must of been doing some kind of illegal activity. Geez-O'-peets! Those fellas in line must be working the system. If they can dress that well, they should have NO problem landing a job, right?! RIGHT!....

(apply with sarcastic tone...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 04:20 PM

39 posts, read 242,011 times
I realize that this is an old thread that I just found. It astounds me how little compassion there is for the people needing food. I don't think anyone that posted here is from Logan. I am. I have also volunteered at the Southeastern Ohio Food Bank that provides boxed food to Dannie Devol, and the Smith Chapel Food Bank. The boxes contain various things, depending on what food bank they're being shipped to. The contents normally include one package of spaghetti or macaroni noodles, cereal, juice, canned fruit, canned veggies, and maybe canned stew or chili.

The needy people aren't lining up in their Hummers to get free food. Sadly, Mr. Devol's food bank is only ONE source for free food in our community. Many churches also have food for the needy.

For those of you that are so bitter about the needy, I hope you never find yourself in their shoes. Our community is very lucky to have someone like Dannie Devol that cares about his fellow man.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:25 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Because our government is more concerned with feeding the poor of the world first than taking care of the poor in our own backyard.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:24 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
What's the story here? I had a neighbor who was disabled and eligible for food distributions at two sited in our county, so I either picked up her food boxes for her, or drove her to the site. Everything in the story matches with my experience, including the contempt that is shown for the people who have to brave the elements and distance to get there to get the food. In one place, which was a large open hall with plenty of space, people were required to wait in line outside in rain or snow, until the doors were opened at 1 pm. It was located on a street that had limited parking and the police were always there with their ticket books out on food distribution days. The food was, basicly, so dubious that nobody would wait in line for it unless they were really desperate. Instant mashed potatoes, powdered milk, a box of ersatz cheese food, rice krispies, some cans of fruit, and a can of Dinty Moore beef stew. This happens several times a month in just about every county.

So this Ohio story seems to think it is newsworthy that a few weeks before the election, people waiting in line are talking abut how bad the candidates are, instead of how bad the utilities are, or how bad the police are, or how bad the streets are, or how bad their neighborhood is, from the perspective of people who have to wait in line for a bit of dignity. In Ohio, they haven't seen waiting in line yet. Wait tiill election day. This is what is called a slow news day, folks.

Old 08-29-2008, 04:48 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,597,924 times
SE Ohio is vastly different vs much of the rest of the country. Jobs are scarce and few pay much of anything. I left Cleveland 3 years ago due to lack of jobs. Cleveland is a boomtown compared to Logan.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:43 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,955,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tet tea View Post
For those who don't feel remorse and don't want to sound demonic, please read the following:

Waiting In The Food Line, Scott Pelley Reports On Those Who Need Help To Get Groceries - CBS News

This is what is evil. The fact that these people and others across this great country are being let down by its own government.

"The kids are on a free school lunch program and, often, 12-year-old Shane brings part of that meal home." How sad is this!?!
I think the problem is that they didn't rely on themselves in the first place, if they had, they wouldn't be looking to the government every time they had a hard time.

There are those who expect others to do for them and those who do for themselves. Those who do for themselves also have hard times, but since they rely on themselves, they are able to weather the storm. Those who do not, well... the storm weathers them.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:51 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
if they are on a food line they may not have money to move. last time I checked it wasn't free to break a lease, get a u-haul, pay deposit on new place, pay utilities, have first and last months rent, deposit money and the list goes on and on. Moving is never easy under taking and anyone who talks like it is must be young or have not done much in life as far as moving is concerned.
Yes, moving is extremely expensive, not to mention getting to a new place to do interviews and secure a job before you move. That could take months and money for traveling.

It takes thousands of dollars to move - around here, it's ridiculous how much money you need upfront just to rent an apartment. If they've lost their jobs, where the heck do they get the money?

Moving is usually NOT an option for someone without lots of dough.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
I think the problem is that they didn't rely on themselves in the first place, if they had, they wouldn't be looking to the government every time they had a hard time.

There are those who expect others to do for them and those who do for themselves. Those who do for themselves also have hard times, but since they rely on themselves, they are able to weather the storm. Those who do not, well... the storm weathers them.
That argument is getting really old. You never know what could happen to you, and lots of people work 40 hours week, but certainly could not afford to SAVE anything. Gimme a break.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvmesun View Post
I realize that this is an old thread that I just found. It astounds me how little compassion there is for the people needing food. I don't think anyone that posted here is from Logan. I am. I have also volunteered at the Southeastern Ohio Food Bank that provides boxed food to Dannie Devol, and the Smith Chapel Food Bank. The boxes contain various things, depending on what food bank they're being shipped to. The contents normally include one package of spaghetti or macaroni noodles, cereal, juice, canned fruit, canned veggies, and maybe canned stew or chili.

The needy people aren't lining up in their Hummers to get free food. Sadly, Mr. Devol's food bank is only ONE source for free food in our community. Many churches also have food for the needy.

For those of you that are so bitter about the needy, I hope you never find yourself in their shoes. Our community is very lucky to have someone like Dannie Devol that cares about his fellow man.
You're right about that - it could happen to ANYONE, and don't think it cannot.

Old 08-29-2008, 02:01 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,955,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
That argument is getting really old. You never know what could happen to you, and lots of people work 40 hours week, but certainly could not afford to SAVE anything. Gimme a break.
Never know? How about It HAS happened to me? How about I have been broke, at the bottom of the barrel, no real marketable skills, and I have done what was needed to bring in the money.

I have worked the scummy low jobs, the hard hours, low pay jobs. Ive worked 3-4 jobs to pay the bills.

I also decided to educate myself to improve. I went to the bookstore, picked up books on topics and studied every chance I got. I studied on lunch breaks, late into the hours, slept only 4-5 hours a night. My wife did the same. She had a ton of debt, we both worked as hard as we could and we paid of the debt and developed a savings plan.

Ive been there, done that. The old story of "its hard" is getting old to hear. I worked through the crap and it was hard, but it is dooable. I talk to my grandfather who lived through the depression about "times being hard" today. He can only laugh at the lazy people who think they have it hard.

Let me guess, you will come back with a "specialized" story about some woman with 8 children who had a husband die, two of the kids are diagnosed with rare diseases and she can't afford to pay the bills. Well, here is news for you. That is the rare case. Most people are lazy, spend way over their budget, think "saving" is choosing the normal meal over the super size. They buy cars way out of their budget, have mass children without a thought to the costs, shop at the local mini-mart for their groceries and make sure they have all the latest "entertainment" crap for their kids and themselves.

These are the irresponsible people you love to claim are "just the average Joe trying to make ends meet". It is an insult to those of us who have GIVEN UP to GET UP.

Some people out there have bad breaks, some have everything go wrong for them no matter what they do. They are not the norm. The norm in this situation is nothing more than freeloaders that think they are owed something. Let them fail, let them sink to the bottom and offer NO HELP, let them choose to live, to put the effort or let them choose to sink into the earth. If they choose the latter, they are worthy of their choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies