Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2017, 12:23 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
It is not what it is. That is the problem. People define words, there is no innate definition.

And often, when people put two or more words together to create a phrase, it can be defined to mean something very different than the individual words were intended to mean. If a phrase is coined, and gains popularity, it becomes part of the language.

But there is another word that has been defined a long time ago. The word “misnomer”.

I never use the phrase “working class” because it is a misnomer. There is no data proving that they are working any more than the middle class, the upper middle class, or the upper class. If I am to accept that the lower middle class is the “working class”, then I would have to accept that the other classes somehow do not work, or work less.

“Working poor” is a more accurate term, or “lower middle class”, but working class sounds better, so some people use it. I don’t. That’s the only point I was making.

Of course you're entirely free to make up whatever "personal definition" you care to, but the term is universally understood with a few exceptions here and there by those with an agenda.

Carry on.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2017, 12:36 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
There is such a thing as paying more for better quality as well. For example, you can get a steak for $15 at Applebee's or for $45 at Ruth's Chris or Morton's; and I would get the Morton's steak over the Applebee's one.

And with tools, you can buy a cheap Harbor Freight ratchet that will break after 100 uses, or an expensive Snap On one that is guaranteed to last for life through heavy use. A mechanic will buy the Snap On tool instead of the cheap Harbor Freight tool
Why do hard working people at Applebee’s not deserve the $45?

Old 11-24-2017, 12:38 PM

18,455 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Of course you're entirely free to make up whatever "personal definition" you care to, but the term is universally understood with a few exceptions here and there by those with an agenda.

Carry on.

No. I just like to describe things precisely, rather than accept misnomers and oxymorons. I like to live in reality.

“Poor people” is a lot more based in reality than “working class”.

...Just like “illegal alien” is a lot more based in reality than “undocumented immigrant”.

Old 11-24-2017, 12:38 PM

20,096 posts, read 8,998,912 times
you get paid what you're worth, some people aren't worth much

Old 11-24-2017, 12:43 PM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Every taxpayer within a taxing authority pays the same rate. In a school district we pay the same rate on a $100,000 house as a million dollar house. Does the electric company, the water company the phone company give better services to the owners of the million dollar house because they pay more dollars? IMO, it is the same with schools.

As our culture decided, if the rich are not satisfied with public schools they can create private schools for their kids.

Old 11-24-2017, 12:44 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Ok there Herbert Hoover (he literally said that in the record, no wonder he lost his re-election bid in 32)

Old 11-24-2017, 12:52 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,551,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
No, you get paid what you settle for.

Some people settle for less.

Old 11-24-2017, 12:54 PM

4,381 posts, read 4,231,250 times
In my state there are many communities where the middle class taxpayers have chosen to forego high property taxes and instead send their children to private schools. The public schools in those areas are underfunded to the point where the students who attend are in second-world conditions--decrepit buildings with substandard resources. In communities like mine, where the middle class sends their children to public schools, the buildings are resources are first-world quality and even the poor children get a good education. It's not just the rich who only want to fund schools for only their children.

It should be possible to fund schools separately from property taxes and ensure that even poor children with absent parents can get the same services that a middle-class child with active parents gets. We can't be a first-world country when a quarter of our students are growing up in second-world conditions. Other industrialized nations have poor children, but they don't underfund the schools for those children like we do.

Old 11-24-2017, 12:58 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
No, you get paid what you settle for.

Some people settle for less.
But we shouldn’t respect their choice?

Settle means they see the value they gain exceeding the value of their labor.

Old 11-24-2017, 01:01 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
But we shouldn’t respect their choice?

Settle means they see the value they gain exceeding the value of their labor.
Nope, it means they only choose not to starve to death in the streets. I'd say half the working population get paid less than they're actually worth due to fear and a lack of information. I've quit jobs that try to pull that crap with me, I don't see any value in accepting low wages
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies