Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2018, 06:21 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,982,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Well, you slipped a gear or something. Pressure getting to you?
Please...explain how I "slipped a gear" and/or what pressure you are assuming I'm facing here

Old 02-17-2018, 06:22 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Militias in the time of the FF were organized and regulated by the states, and often had officers appointed by the states. This isn't even arguable. A well regulated militia means exactly what it sounds like. An official militia with officers and such, controlled and answerable to some authority such as the state or the federal government.
true enough, BUT you cant leave off the second part of the amendment, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

remember the founders, with the second amendment, recognized the need for a militia, or citizen army, to protect the nation in times of need, thus the recognition of a well regulated(in good working order) militia. but the founders also did not want the government to regulate firearms, because they knew that when a government can regulate a thing, they can also abolish a thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
That's the national guard... not the militia...
yes, TODAY, but back then it was the militia.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:24 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,501,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Please...explain how I "slipped a gear" and/or what pressure you are assuming I'm facing here
Bad pressure plate? Throw out bearing? Worn synchros?

Old 02-17-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
true enough, BUT you cant leave off the second part of the amendment, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

remember the founders, with the second amendment, recognized the need for a militia, or citizen army, to protect the nation in times of need, thus the recognition of a well regulated(in good working order) militia. but the founders also did not want the government to regulate firearms, because they knew that when a government can regulate a thing, they can also abolish a thing.

yes, TODAY, but back then it was the militia.
Militias still exist today...

Old 02-17-2018, 06:27 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,812,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NS-GR View Post
If you want a right, you have to prove you are worthy of it. If your right is not safe for the society, then it has to go. Probably you are right. I should get part of the blame. In fact, I hope that the so called "2nd amendment advocates" start seeing that independent people that were willing to tolerate the "right" to bear guns are fed up and I can tell you I will be happy to see this "right" all gone.
Um... no. A constitutional right, like the 2nd amendment, is something you just have by birth as an American not something you have to prove your worth to obtain. Sure, you also need to follow all applicable laws to exercise that right and it can be taken away by law for cause (ie felony conviction), but your right is not earned but given. And the SCOTUS has been very clear on laws crafted to circumvent our rights. Gun reform, yes. A total ban on the right to bear arms, it’ll never fly.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:33 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,820,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Um... no. A constitutional right, like the 2nd amendment, is something you just have by birth as an American not something you have to prove your worth to obtain. Sure, you also need to follow all applicable laws to exercise that right and it can be taken away by law for cause (ie felony conviction), but your right is not earned but given. And the SCOTUS has been very clear on laws crafted to circumvent our rights. Gun reform, yes. A total ban on the right to bear arms, it’ll never fly.
I agree entirely. But no one (excluding the military) has need of a military type (note: type) rifle like the AR-15.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
I agree entirely. But no one (excluding the military) has need of a military type (note: type) rifle like the AR-15.
Right to keep and bear arms.
Not subjective interpretation of need.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:38 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,982,264 times
Quote:
Do you have the "need" for social media accounts like Twitter or Instagram where you can preach hateful things, call people names, or provoke violence? I mean with the click of a button you can say awful things to potentially millions of people in seconds all at once. Why do you need to talk to so many people at once? Seems pretty ridiculous to me, why not limit peoples freedom of speech too while we are at it, I mean these social media accounts are just too far reaching.

Nobody can judge the need of someone else without being in their shoes, its all very subjective.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:39 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,622,039 times
The right to trial by jury and the right to own a device that has one sole purpose (killing, with wounding and deterrence thrown in as bonuses) aren't even in the same aisle, let alone ball park.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:40 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,820,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Right to keep and bear arms.
Not subjective interpretation of need.
Nope. No one has need for it. Obviously the militia (ie, the Army today) does though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies