Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy your taxes are going up?
Yes 22 29.73%
No 52 70.27%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 06:54 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,866,449 times

Advertisements

Graduate students stage walkout today at UCI, USC and across country over GOP tax plan – Orange County Register

One of the graduate students had a sign.

"My tuition waiver allows me to pursue my passion for inclusivity in gaming as a first generation grad of student"

I wonder if President Trump is going to shelve those "big, fat, beautiful" tax cuts he is promising just because some indoctrinated liberal university students who have been in college for way to long and have listened to way to many leftist lecturers are holding up signs.

Hilarious how those California liberals really think that President Trump and GOP are going to those "big, fat, beautiful" tax cuts that they advertising over a college walkout with signs and speakers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 06:56 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,376,228 times
The GOP is not the target audience for the walkout.

Old 11-29-2017, 06:58 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,020,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
I've used a calculator and my family along with many millions more middle class families will receive a tax decrease of 1-3 thousand a year. What may or may not happen in 8 years is irrelevant to today's discussion although I oppose expirations.
It is relevant if that is in the bill. The corporate cuts are permeant, individual changes temporary.

The bulk of the American economy and business taxes hinge on individual, as the majority of businesses in this country pay taxes based on the individual.

Quote:
The $2k child tax credit will offset some of the deductions. Plus two kids is plenty these days, let's not encourage people to reproduce for tax purposes and getting welfare for kids they can't afford.
If they're getting welfare, they don't pay taxes and don't need the tax credit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
CBO non partisan group or paid off republican economist?

They are just trying to line their pockets with tax cuts and more bonuses
Paid off shills.

I did a brief look at the list and didn't notice any one noteworthy.

I did notice one of them came from Koch Industries.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:02 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,956,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
95% of middleclass taxpayers will be paying less taxes

while its not a big decrease in taxes, it does help a super majority of the workingclass/middleclass
Sorry, that's just a lie. The below assumes that 25% of corporate tax cuts will help workers through higher wages, which probably won't happen.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:02 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,117,050 times
I say pass the tax plan.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:16 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,944,857 times
Quote:
They go down for the first 8 years but will get extended we'll before then
Sorry, I missed that part in the Bill, can you point it out...................

Old 11-29-2017, 07:20 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Sorry, I missed that part in the Bill, can you point it out...................

come on cas....

why don't you point out where the bush tax cuts actually ended(sun-setted)

almost every cut in history has had a sunset that the bill was made permanent instead of a sunset at a later date

Old 11-29-2017, 07:31 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,962,827 times
This is a massive redistribution of wealth. I calculated my taxes under the new bill with my normal annual gross income of $85K in years 2014 and 2015. I would save about $600 under the new tax code. However last year I had some unexpected expenses and took out $35K from my IRA,raising my gross income to $120K. Comparing my 2016 tax with the new plan I would save $5K in taxes. So this does little for people under $100K in annual salary, but pays off big time with 25% less tax on the earnings over $100K.

My question is if the government needs revenue to operate, and we currently operate on a defecit, how will the overall reduction in tax revenue be made up? You can't make up a defecit by reducing income. All those persons and corporations that make over $100,000K to a billion or more will pay substantially less. How does this help the middle class?

Defense spending won't go down, so will federal funding for programs that actually help the middle class will be reduced? As the defecit increases will the value of the dollar shrink in international markets, making all those Chinese and Asian imported goods cost more? The theory of trickle down economics has worked out as well as the war against drugs. They are both phantasies that only exist in rhetoric. I have no personal skin in the game. My $600 federal tax decrease will not go very far.

And when they say economic growth will climb, who are they talking about? The stock market goes up and they say economic growth has increased. But I don't own any stocks, so it doesn't do anything for me. Like the tax plan, that growth is for the well to do. It doesn't raise wages or cut prices. It just funnels more wealth to those that are already well off.

Last edited by bobspez; 11-29-2017 at 07:40 PM..

Old 11-29-2017, 07:35 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,956,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
come on cas....

why don't you point out where the bush tax cuts actually ended(sun-setted)

almost every cut in history has had a sunset that the bill was made permanent instead of a sunset at a later date
The Bush tax-cuts had all levels of the cuts expire. They also made certain predictions/assumptions about economic growth so they could pass them under reconciliation. Those assumptions never panned out and the debt increased more than predicted.

The Trump tax-cuts slash taxes on the rich and corporations. To pass the bill without Democrats (e.g. reconciliation) the ten year increase in deficits couldn't be more than $1.5 trillion. To reach that $1.5 trillion, it was necessary to raise taxes on the middle class to bring in more revenue -- or else the debt would exceed the limit.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:41 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,317,108 times
Most grad students with tuition waivers are in fields such as biology, chemistry, physics, mathematics, computer science, economics, elementary/secondary education, and the like.

I find it weird and stupid that Republicans want to make it more difficult for these students to succeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies