Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2017, 06:03 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,560,124 times

Advertisements

This reminds me of the banks that keep trying to get everyone to look at their monthly statements online. "Save paper!" No, what they really want to do is cut down on their mailing costs. Do they give back any of that money to the customers? Of course not. Just more profits for them.

I don't like self check-outs. I always seem to need a real person's help. One evening I bought only one item, and went to the self check-out. I paid cash; how difficult could this be, right? Oh, but then the machine couldn't give me change, and someone had to come over and help. I gave up after that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 06:09 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,869,746 times
I didn't realize WalMart actually HAD employees in the store.........I've rarely seen one there !

Our local WM grocery store was recently remodeled , and they put in a bunch of self checkout stations, but only a couple of ones manned by a human. Definitely the wave of the future.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:19 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,893,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Awesome. That means even higher taxes to support the millions who will lose their jobs.
Oh Please with the drama.
This has been coming for years since self checkouts were first started. The delay has most likely been due to software and getting the system to work better. The vast majority of Walmart employees are not cashiers. As evidenced on any Friday, Saturday or Sunday as the lines are a mile long waiting for the 3 or 4 cashiers.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:24 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,930,436 times
Just like this morning when I went into the local grocer. The few cashiers they have in the morning either call off or no show leaving only the self checkout which was absolutely swamped. The shelves were empty because the night shift called out.

Brick and mortar retail has gone way downhill since I was younger, it's a shame really. I can see why people are giving up on it and going to online.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:26 AM

26,544 posts, read 15,116,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Awesome. That means even higher taxes to support the millions who will lose their jobs.
Meh...

We've always had technology replacing jobs and the economy adjusts.

Should we have rejected McCormick's mechanical reaper as each one manned by a farmer could do the work of dozens of farmers? Or did that ultimately take us from a society where a majority worked directly in agriculture to a society where less than 2% works directly in agriculture so that we can have more scientists, inventors, craftsmen, artisans, etc...

Pushing for $15 an hour minimum wage will encourage this growth in technology.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:32 AM

16,762 posts, read 8,229,990 times
Walmart has massive shrink issues and it will not be improved with this method. Stuff walks out the doors all the time.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:36 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,930,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Walmart has massive shrink issues and it will not be improved with this method. Stuff walks out the doors all the time.
And believe me, I spent over 20 years of my life working in retail on and off. One of the biggest causes of shrink is theft by the employees. They were stealing left and right at my store.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:40 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,694,677 times
There's finally a generation of kids who aren't intimidated by the technology of running the cash register and we don't need them.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:40 AM

16,762 posts, read 8,229,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
And believe me, I spent over 20 years of my life working in retail on and off. One of the biggest causes of shrink is theft by the employees. They were stealing left and right at my store.
Getting rid of employees at the front door will not solve the problem. Pay them a good wage where they have pride in what they do.

But the family has already announced their plan to put their tax cut into stock buybacks.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:42 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,665,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Just like this morning when I went into the local grocer. The few cashiers they have in the morning either call off or no show leaving only the self checkout which was absolutely swamped. The shelves were empty because the night shift called out.

Brick and mortar retail has gone way downhill since I was younger, it's a shame really. I can see why people are giving up on it and going to online.
lol.. I wouldn't shop at a store with those type of employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies