Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2017, 10:02 AM

31,052 posts, read 22,086,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Ahhhh, NO. Conservative are for higher education. I know you want to paint us all as knuckle draggeiss, but that of course is false. An argument can be made that getting a near worthless liberal arts degree, and getting tens or hundreds of thousands in debt to work at Starbucks, and be saddled with loans is not a good dn. Many would be better off financially by going to trade school, learning a worthwhile school, and making good money without debt.

But, continue to make yourself feel better by demonizing conservatives many who have higher education, college, and graduate degrees.
So true, I'm an Aerospace Engineer who works in the Defense Industry. An Industry that is 90% Conservative and at the forefront of technological innovation. Interesting how they try to describe us as knuckle draggers when this country could not survive without us.

For an experiment lets replace all of the overwhemingly conservative Engineers and Scientists in my Industry with highly educated Liberal Arts graduates. We can even replace our Bachelor of Science degreed Engineers with highly educated Liberal Art PhDs We could also add in all of the Ivy league Lawyers to give them an extra advantage. Obviously, it would be a failure. Put the shoe on the other foot, any Aerospace or Mechanical Engineer in my industry could breeze through Liberal Arts or Law courses. Those courses are usually GPA boosters for us.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:10 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
In 4th grade in Germany, 10 year olds are given the choice to take an academic or vocational track. Vocational training is split 50-50, classroom and on the job Vocational students are given a financial stipend for their time and effort.

Most German workers function in highly regulated environments with collective bargaining agreements. Vocational training works because the private sector favors long-term benefits instead of short-term returns on investments as is the case in the US. Reportedly, it costs a German employer $25-80,000 a year per apprentice. in contrast, Siemens, a German-owned company, operates an apprentice program in South Carolina and reports it costs them $170,000 per apprentice.

Vocational training focuses more on cognitive skill development than anything else.

Vocational training is not limited to manufacturing. It includes retail, hospitality, banking and administrative functions.Students enrolled in a Vocational track do not participate in academic tests submitted for international comparison.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:43 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
To the college graduates out there if you had to do it all over again would you go back to college?

I should have chosen a different major. If I could do it all over, I'd want an opportunity in medical school.

I have an art degree, I think I've wasted my time. One of my uncles is a plastic surgeon. I certainly want to be a plastic surgeon someday, but I can only dream. lol

I have a lot of blue collar friends, they make very good money. I am good with my hands, and wouldn't mind being a blue collar worker myself. I also wanted to be a chef.

I do home improvement projects for my friends, this is my interests.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 12-28-2017 at 10:52 AM..

Old 12-28-2017, 10:59 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
My son has ADHD. Id love to think otherwise but I just dont see college for him. Im a realist. OTOH he is a scary scary boy when it comes to anything mechanical or computer related. Computer related scares me due to the India factor so electrician it is..
ADHD isn't a disease per se. It's a term that describes the way your brain operates. Managing ADHD depends on you understanding the way your brain operates and organizing your life in a way to take advantage of your strengths and avoid triggering your weaknesses.

I am not an expert, but I have a friend who has both ADHD and a degree in Business. It takes him 12 years to get a degree because he had trouble reading.

He is very successful and has been working for a fortune 500 company for over 15+ years. He has a house in Orange County which is 1.5 million dollars. He has a very sharp mind when it comes to investing and trading.

I think your son would be okay. My friend uses ADHD medication and very low dose antidepressant to manage his symptoms. It is not easy, but he is a very successful person now.

Old 12-28-2017, 11:02 AM

32,108 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I think your stats may be off. Notice there is a large amount of interdisciplinary studies. Many colleges consider gender/ethnic studies as interdisciplinary studies with history, sociology, etc... Classes that I took in college could count towards several fields including history or gender studies.
See the post below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That's a misconception as well. A larger percentage of graduates received bachelor's degrees in Ethnic/Gender Studies, English literature, the humanities, social sciences, history and psychology in 1971 than in 2015.

1971 - 267,485 (31.8%)
2015 - 381,777 (20.1%)

There's actually a higher percentage of Millennials receiving business degrees compared to their Boomer counterparts (19% vs 13%). A slightly higher % of Boomers received degrees in math and engineering, but computer science majors were nearly non-existent then, and there are far more biology majors today than there were in 1971. Here are the totals for math, engineering, and biology and physical sciences and technologies.

1971 - 126,950 (15.1%)
2015 - 259,645 (13.7%)

So there's a smaller % of Millennials studying STEM fields if you exclude computer science (which I did to make it an apples to apples comparison). But that's not really a fair comparison (for Millennials) since the National Science Foundation *does* consider CompSci a STEM major and nearly 60,000 people were awarded degrees in that field in 2015. If you include computer science majors, then that 13.7% leaps up to 16.8%.
Even adding all degrees awarded in interdisciplinary studies barely notches up the percentage to 22.8%. The bottomline is that today's college graduates are earning a higher proportion of degrees in business and STEM compared to 1970, and a correspondingly lower percentage of degrees in so-called "worthless" disciplines.

Quote:
Also there are other degrees besides gender studies that aren't as conducive to getting a career.
How many undergraduate degrees are conducive to getting a career? The expectation today is that post-graduate study is essentially necessary, which makes your chosen field of study in undergrad far less consequential.

Quote:
I have many students who do get majors in philosophy, gender studies, African-American studies, sociology, etc...and end up working at Starbucks, Panera Bread, or at an entry level position with United Way. I've never had a single former student come back and tell me that she/he can't get a career job with a degree in Electrical Engineering, Chemistry, etc...
And we had an even higher % of Boomers studying philosophy, literature, history, etc. This idea that this generation is earning degrees in "worthless" majors at an unprecedented rate does not align with actual data. Then again, a lot of what POC posters say doesn't align with actual data. But if it feels right to you, why not state it as fact?

Old 12-28-2017, 11:26 AM

32,108 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yep. You want a partial explanation of why college costs have increased so much you listed some them.
And that would be a small part of why college tuition has increased so dramatically. Tuition has risen substantially at community colleges and basically every single 4-year college across the board whether they have slides or not.

Quote:
“Lazy rivers are only a tiny piece of the costs,” he says. “These lazy rivers are not the reason why student debt is soaring seemingly out of control. The big problem that higher education faces today, at the public side, is cuts in state spending.”
https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...g-cost-college
https://www.cbpp.org/research/state-...own-tuition-up

Public school tuition in the 1960s and 70s wasn't low due to some act of magic. It was low because there was a larger taxpayer subsidy. The recession is partly to blame since states had less revenue in the coffers to fund higher education, but tax cuts are also to blame.

IMO it would make some sense for the federal government to simply foot the bill for tuition at public universities. It would cost roughly $68 billion, which is only 1.6% of FY18's federal budget. This would alleviate a huge burden on both students and parents.

Old 12-28-2017, 11:40 AM

3,850 posts, read 2,228,506 times
Quote:
I have a lot of former students who are smart enough, but they get degrees in philosophy, gender studies, African-American studies, etc..., which are less conducive to acquiring a career than let's say...electrical engineering.
Let's not forget sociology, ethnic studies, etc. They make things up too. I met woman who got a degree in "spoken word for social justice" or something ridiculous like that.

Too many "educated" black people get useless bull**** degrees. It's a damn shame.

Old 12-28-2017, 11:53 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,949,093 times
Too many Americans have been going to college for decades. Outside of a handful of professions, college is simply a means to get past the first rung of HR gatekeepers.

Old 12-28-2017, 11:56 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,455,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
ADHD isn't a disease per se. It's a term that describes the way your brain operates. Managing ADHD depends on you understanding the way your brain operates and organizing your life in a way to take advantage of your strengths and avoid triggering your weaknesses.

I am not an expert, but I have a friend who has both ADHD and a degree in Business. It takes him 12 years to get a degree because he had trouble reading.

He is very successful and has been working for a fortune 500 company for over 15+ years. He has a house in Orange County which is 1.5 million dollars. He has a very sharp mind when it comes to investing and trading.

I think your son would be okay. My friend uses ADHD medication and very low dose antidepressant to manage his symptoms. It is not easy, but he is a very successful person now.
No worries. Electricians make good money and if he starts his own company he will make a ton. The physical nature of the job helps with depression and anxiety. No meds needed. Plus, he will sleep like a baby.

Old 12-28-2017, 11:58 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Let's not forget sociology, ethnic studies, etc. They make things up too. I met woman who got a degree in "spoken word for social justice" or something ridiculous like that.

Too many "educated" black people get useless bull**** degrees. It's a damn shame.
Part of the problem is that we tell young people to make decisions that will effect their life when their biggest decisions to that point is should they get a part time job or what electives to take in high school. Sadly, we don't really see any guidance. Instead we see that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies