Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2019, 08:05 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,682,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
It was ALWAYS in the Political forum.

Ken
Yes it was - there are other similar threads which many have gone back and forth.

I think since this OP and title cheered Trump as the reasoning, it is rightly placed. It is one of the few threads where we can truly track the outcome using...numbers!

But, as we see, some of the Trumpets don't believe in numbers. They keep telling us we are all arbitrary in picking our dates and numbers EVEN THOUGH THE THREAD STARTED RIGHT WHEN TAX REFORM AND TARIFFS CHAOS STARTED........

In other words, they think we should pick out some other period like "this year".....because the market sank so badly last year that it looks better YTD. I understand their attempt to pick and choose, but at the same time using the date of the OP and todays date is really the only fair measure. We can project that the markets are unlikely to be much higher by the 2 year mark, but that's just a guess. OCT. is generally a bad month for Mr. Marker and many will be sent packing (investment wise)...

Now we have Trump lashing out and threatening ANYTHING....he will continue to do so. Nothing will surprise me in terms of his threats and actions against the American people if they don't "like" him.

Old 09-28-2019, 09:42 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
And the fact that the link states its the reason why investors likely don't get the best returns proves that the holding period should be longer. Just because people are making poor decisions doesn't change the rule of thumb, and my purpose for saying it.
Agreed. I wasn't making any sort of argument about how best to invest but simply providing some facts or statistics to consider. Also to point out how investment norms have changed over time, much like the average time a person used to stay in one job compared to now (having nothing to do with what is more advantageous either way).

Understanding these changes, however, the facts, SHOULD help people make better decisions either way if being informed helps along those lines. As I think being informed usually does...

Old 10-01-2019, 09:12 AM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,664,353 times
And now we have news today that the ISM Manufacturing Survey reported the lowest level of manufacturing activity since June 2009, the last month of the Great Recession. A big Thank You for this to the trade war.

Yeah, Trump is the greatest.

Old 10-01-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
And now we have news today that the ISM Manufacturing Survey reported the lowest level of manufacturing activity since June 2009, the last month of the Great Recession. A big Thank You for this to the trade war.

if this isn't clear to trump fans nothing is!

Old 10-02-2019, 07:41 AM

5,067 posts, read 1,667,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsyguam View Post
DOW up 220 and VIX under 18 again, I am going long Nov SPY 290puts again as I'm sure the media will find a way to throw out some BS headline to plummet the markets(thus sending the VIX over ~22) and blame it on Trump again soon.

took longer for this to play out than I expected but with the VIX over 20 already today, I can now ring the register on my puts.

Old 10-02-2019, 07:45 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,100,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsyguam View Post
took longer for this to play out than I expected but with the VIX over 20 already today, I can now ring the register on my puts.
Sounds like you know what you're doing alright.

Old 10-02-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Sounds like you know what you're doing alright.
Yep, someone can make money when everyone else loses it. That will do a lot of good for the hard working guys and gals with pension funds in indexes.

It's a zero sum game....or less. Bottom line is MOST PEOPLE...in fact, the vast majority....are making almost nothing in the markets for the last couple of years. And, the prognosis isn't great either.

One wonders if Trumpers call this a "booming economy", what they would call a normal upswing of the markets which would put DOW at over 30K.

Old 10-02-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post

Manhattan Real Estate fell the largest amount since the Great Recession effects.
Hiring slowed....and especially small biz hiring. The hiring that there was is in health care - considering that more people are being thrown off the insurance rolls, that's not a good thing (we are getting less for more $$).

Cars, boats, real estate, manufacturing, trade...pick your poison. All either low or down.

The real question for Trumpers is what is their tipping point? Is it truly that anything this POTUS does, causes or creates is automatically "great" even if it sucks?

Or does reason, logic and metics ever hold sway? Honesty? Morals? Ethics? Norms? Data?

Old 10-02-2019, 08:44 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,817,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
if this isn't clear to trump fans nothing is!
Sad thing is, we are all going to have to suffer through 15-20% unemployment long after Trump is gone.

Half the country will blame the coming second Great Depression on God's punishment for tolerating homosexuality.

Old 10-02-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Yeah, I was being quite generous. Didn't want to crunch the numbers that carefully so I simply rounded up. I've no doubt YOUR numbers are more accurate. Like I said, I was being generous - and even THEN the stock market performance is pathetic.

Ken
I think we are closer to 2.5% now....about the level of inflation or GDP. In other words, people would have made as much money investing in T-Bills then in the risky market since when the OP first posted.

26100 today - 21 months.
at 2% market would be 26,200.42

So, yeah, we are at 2% now. Close to the inflation number. In other words, no return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies