Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2019, 08:25 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,375,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
You just confirmed how uninformed/misinformed you are.

President Trump never said white nationals were fine people.

The scary thing is that many of the people like you are so delusional (I mean that in the literal sense) that there is nothing that can convince you that President Trump never said white nationals were fine people.
LOL. WHO do you think was "on the other side"?
It was a "Unite the Right" rally made up of Neo-NAZIs, White Supremacists, etc. It wasn't a SECRET who those folks were, they BRAGGED about the upcoming rally. There's no "fine people" among that bunch:

"In August 2017, hundreds of far-right extremists descended on Charlottesville, Virginia, ostensibly to protest the removal of a Confederate statue from a local park. Dubbed “Unite the Right,” the gathering was the largest and most violent public assembly of white supremacists in decades. It also demonstrated a resurgent and emboldened white supremacist movement..."

https://www.adl.org/blog/two-years-a...e-are-they-now

If you say "there's fine people on both sides", you are saying White Supremacists are "fine people" - since WHITE SUPREMACISTS made up one of the SIDES.

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 08-15-2019 at 09:06 AM..

Old 08-15-2019, 08:35 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,999,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Actually most Presidents didn’t, at least not to the extent Trump has. The press may have touted things, however..

Most POTUS’s were very cautious not to hitch their wagon to this.
Sure they do. When times are good they take credit (and certainly don't downplay when it is given to them) for things like the economy, stock market, unemployment #s, and gas prices. Obama was all about blaming Bush and then taking credit, remember the whole "R" stands for reverse and the nonsense analogies about driving us in reverse off a cliff?

EDIT - as an afterthought I'll admit I might also be thinking of candidates running for office too, but I think its all of the above.

Old 08-15-2019, 08:44 AM

48,581 posts, read 35,009,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
No, the premise here seems to be that overall Trump is bad for the economy, as are Republicans in general. If that is your belief, and if you are investing for the long term, just invest for a declining market for the duration of the term and be ready for a change if they get voted out.

You cant "invest" based on day to day gyrations unless you are day trading, which I don't think was the point of any of this thread.

Yes, I believe Trump is bad for the economy (and everything else). Besides that? I have always voted Republican.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-15-2019, 08:52 AM

19,880 posts, read 22,788,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Sure they do. When times are good they take credit (and certainly don't downplay when it is given to them) for things like the economy, stock market, unemployment #s, and gas prices. Obama was all about blaming Bush and then taking credit, remember the whole "R" stands for reverse and the nonsense analogies about driving us in reverse off a cliff?

EDIT - as an afterthought I'll admit I might also be thinking of candidates running for office too, but I think its all of the above.
No, most POTUS’s did not. In fact I can only recall Clinton as a candidate mouthing the words ‘It’s the economy, stupid’, at his then rival George Bush Sr.

Most if not all Presidents shied away from linking their term to success in the markets or directly to the economy, other than possible mentions in the State of the Union addresses.

Trump is wholly unique in that he is trying to tie his Presidency to an ‘unprecedented time of economic success’, and he’s done that with a degree of grandiose that has never occurred in modern times.

Old 08-15-2019, 08:57 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,999,873 times
Quote:
No, most POTUS’s did not. In fact I can only recall Clinton as a candidate mouthing the words ‘It’s the economy, stupid’, at his then rival George Bush Sr.

Most if not all Presidents shied away from linking their term to success in the markets or directly to the economy, other than possible mentions in the State of the Union addresses.

Trump is wholly unique in that he is trying to tie his Presidency to an ‘unprecedented time of economic success’, and he’s done that with a degree of grandiose that has never occurred in modern times.
Is this Obama shying away from it?

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...922-story.html

Quote:
“The other side drove the economy into the ditch, and we’ve been down there and putting on our boots, and it’s muddy, and it’s hot, and there are bugs swarming, and we’ve been pushing and shoving and sweating, trying to get this car out of the ditch,” Obama said.“And the Republicans have been standing there, sipping on a Slurpee, watching us and saying, you’re not pushing hard enough, or you’re not pushing the right way,” the president continued to partisan laughter.

“Well, come down and help,” Obama said. “’No, no, no, you go ahead,’” the president said, illustrating the Democratic complaint that the GOP is the party of no.

“Finally, we get the car up on level ground, and it is -- it’s kind of dinged up. I mean, it wasn’t good for the car to be driven into the ditch. And it needs some body work, it needs a tune-up, it needs a carwash, but it’s moving,” Obama said defending his economic policies which Democrats argue have prevented things from getting worse and have helped improve some types of job creation.

“Suddenly we get a tap on the shoulder and the Republicans say, ‘We want the keys back,’ ” Obama said. “You can’t have the keys back. You can’t drive. That’s why we were in the ditch. And as soon as they get into power, they will throw that car right back in reverse. There’s a reason why, when you want to go forward, you put it into ‘D,’ and when you go backward, it goes into ‘R’.”

Old 08-15-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:

Actually Clinton didn't mouth those words to Bush. It was a message Clinton and his staff directed towards THEMSELVES to keep their focus on that particular issue during the campaign. It was their campaign catchphrase.

Ken

Old 08-15-2019, 09:21 AM

33,575 posts, read 37,212,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
You just confirmed how uninformed/misinformed you are.

President Trump never said white nationals were fine people.

The scary thing is that many of the people like you are so delusional (I mean that in the literal sense) that there is nothing that can convince you that President Trump never said white nationals were fine people.
Actually he said that there are fine people on both sides. How can you interpret that any other way?

Old 08-15-2019, 09:36 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,121,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Actually Clinton didn't mouth those words to Bush. It was a message Clinton and his staff directed towards THEMSELVES to keep their focus on that particular issue during the campaign. It was their campaign catchphrase.

Ken
Actually the original phrase as coined by James Carville was simply "the economy, stupid". Later it became "it's the economy, stupid". The ragin' Cajun's version is a little more succinct.

Old 08-15-2019, 09:43 AM

19,880 posts, read 22,788,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post

Ken
You very well may be right. It still reinforces my point that this POTUS is unique in that he himself has touted credit for the stock market, the economy etc..

Funny he doesn't mention the burgeoning debt.. How convenient.

Old 08-15-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Actually the original phrase as coined by James Carville was simply "the economy, stupid". Later it became "it's the economy, stupid". The ragin' Cajun's version is a little more succinct.
Indeed. And as I said it became a catchphrase for the Clinton campaign - and a good one too.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies