Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2018, 10:50 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times

Advertisements

The DOW is just POWERING now through 25,000. That represents a 0% increase since the OP was written and less than a 2% increase year-to-date.

How anyone can call that "YUGE" is beyond me. In fact, it's down a few percent from 6 months ago.

No, Trump does not control the stock market. But he can sure throw monkey wrenches into it, which he has. Given the growth cycle we've been in for 7 years+, it should be up 10% or more just YTD. So maybe Trump only ruined 10% this year.....so far. But give him time.....

Just as he must spread his seed, he must spread his chaos and his money-losing ways. It's all about him and attention to and for him. Since he's not invested much in the stock market, he doesn't care. As long as Jared can sell Condos and Citizenship to Chinese and Russians he'll be fine.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:52 AM

20,873 posts, read 9,541,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
The Nasdaq Composite Index gained 91.47 points, or 1.2%, to 7,932.24 to end at a fresh record, marking its 25th all-time high of 2018.
Like clockwork, as soon as a Trumpling brags about some new stock market record, a tumble commences immediately.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:23 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
The DOW is just POWERING now through 25,000. That represents a 0% increase since the OP was written and less than a 2% increase year-to-date.

How anyone can call that "YUGE" is beyond me. In fact, it's down a few percent from 6 months ago.

No, Trump does not control the stock market. But he can sure throw monkey wrenches into it, which he has. Given the growth cycle we've been in for 7 years+, it should be up 10% or more just YTD. So maybe Trump only ruined 10% this year.....so far. But give him time.....

Just as he must spread his seed, he must spread his chaos and his money-losing ways. It's all about him and attention to and for him. Since he's not invested much in the stock market, he doesn't care. As long as Jared can sell Condos and Citizenship to Chinese and Russians he'll be fine.
You can't ignore that it ran up 35% from Election Day through year-end 2017. If anything, we went up too far, too fast, and I think it's great that we are holding steady. That shows real optimism surrounding Trump's pro-business platform.

IOW, you can't claim we should be up 10% 2018 YTD (what's that...an annual 20% return??) on top of a 35% growth the previous 14 months.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:26 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Like clockwork, as soon as a Trumpling brags about some new stock market record, a tumble commences immediately.
A tumble? I'm up 30% since his election. No big deal if I give back 1% or 2% on any given day.

Hillbings seem to jump on any tiny little step back in the stock market, while it continues its upward march. Lots of very happy Americans.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:45 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
You can't ignore that it ran up 35% from Election Day through year-end 2017. If anything, we went up too far, too fast, and I think it's great that we are holding steady. That shows real optimism surrounding Trump's pro-business platform.

IOW, you can't claim we should be up 10% 2018 YTD (what's that...an annual 20% return??) on top of a 35% growth the previous 14 months.
Berkshire is up about 20% a year since 1960's.

If Trump would have invested his inheritance in that he's be worth 180 Billion. So he "lost" 177 billion (actually a lot more, since he lost OPM many a time)......

I have records for myself going back to about 2000....not forever, but 15+ years. I have averaged about 11% per year in a mixed portfolio of decent size.

Anyone can cheery pick a time frame...which the OP did. Also, anyone know that momentum generally means the first year into a POTUS term (or, in many cases, MUCH MORE) is due to pre-existing conditions. This was obviously the case with the Great Depression and Great Recession, and is just as valid when the market is headed up...

Unless the OP wants to yell to the rooftops how great the Obama market was, there is no validity in the claim that markets are doing well under Trump.

And, yes, given that we are coming out of the effects of the Great Recession, a 12-15% or more year would be nothing special. After all, you have to make up for the 30-40% losses and you can't do that with single digit gains...

Look just at today. CAT announces record earnings...then says they have to raise prices due to Trump tariffs...the market sinks.

I'm repeating myself, but where would the market be without 1.5 TRILLION borrowed from your and my kids and given out freely to corporations?

My BIL, a conservative, was just bragging to me yesterday how he knows nothing about stocks but invested in 2008 and has done amazingly. Well, count the years.....and the POTUS.

Hey, I'm not the one who starts threads like this. But I do remember many years when the top Fidelity mutual funds made 20-40%. Unfortunately, I was hearing about it from my bookkeeper and others who owned it...I didn't.

My take is simply this. Trump doesn't make the markets. But he can cause chaos in them. They may eventually shake him off like a bug, which would be a good thing. But if he got out of the way they would likely do better.

It's the old politician thing. Do you know why the sun is shining today? Yep, because I answered your post.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:09 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leanmom View Post
Trump is his own worst enemy.

By standing there and claiming best turnaround EVER, he sets himself up for scrutiny.

And as a couple of posters on this thread have found, economic indicators don't just suggest the growth in the last 17 months has been that significant.

The economy is doing well. Trump did not trash it as anticipated. All good news.

But instead of just saying the economy is good, and this administration will work towards making it even stronger, Trump has to step in the !@#$ and make these grandiose claims. He walked into all this analysis and criticsm.

I tell you , for a President who can command a rally, this administration is terrible at controlling their message and making good use of their ability to command the stage.
I wish it were only the concern about how badly Trump represents himself and America, the truth...

What concerns me and a whole lot of other people are policies that smack in the face of what could otherwise be good for this country over the long run. For example, and this is a big one, with an improving global and U.S. economy that generally works in everyone's favor, you don't slash taxes that were obviously not preventing that economic expansion. You don't give tax breaks to people already making off with the lion's share of the spoils and you don't worsen the national debt all the more by doing so! Not smart, not prudent and not a good long-term strategy. Instead, Trump is going for more immediate gratification that might help him with his immediate favorability ratings and re-election prospects, "kicking the can" still further down the road for our kids and their kids to contend with later on. Booo!

Then too, in the face of the same improving global economy, Trump decides to develop a trade war, with China and our allies too, no matter!

What Trump could be saying and doing instead of what Trump is saying and doing is something like comparing what Charles Ponzi could have been doing for the good of the people instead of duping them with a scheme promoted with smoke and mirrors...

Old 07-31-2018, 11:29 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
Reality:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/mark...Nww?li=AAggNb9

Old 07-31-2018, 12:57 PM

5,701 posts, read 3,223,098 times
Wow almost 25,500!!

Old 07-31-2018, 01:09 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Wow almost 25,500!!
Back to where we were 7 months ago......wow.

Old 07-31-2018, 01:19 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,164,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Wow almost 25,500!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Back to where we were 7 months ago......wow.
Trump controls the stock market via a system of levers and pulleys located in a secret compartment in the Oval Office. All presidents do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies