Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2018, 11:32 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times

Advertisements

If anyone actually comes to this thread to "connect the dots" with respect to market swings and what causes them, maybe the occasional effort to insert a bit more about what is actually going on might be helpful to those more interested in the overriding facts of these matters rather than politically driven myths...

"In Europe, the Stoxx 600 Index climbed after President Donald Trump agreed with European Commission chief Jean-Claude Juncker to suspend new tariffs while continuing to negotiate over trade. Treasuries gained while European bond benchmarks sank after the ECB rates announcement. The central bank said it will stick to its plan to end bond purchases and pledged to keep interest rates unchanged “at least through the summer of 2019.”

Trump’s meeting with Juncker came amid a raft of company results, some of which reflected the impact of recent trade threats from the White House. Automakers were especially hard hit. Ford Motor Co. joined General Motors Co. in cutting forecasts. Daimler AG warned lower earnings at its Mercedes-Benz unit will extend into the third quarter because of higher trade barriers."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...s-markets-wrap

Funny how here too, Trump sets in motion the negative impacts his trade war can and will bring about, but then by suspending those motions he gets credit for positive reaction. Something like the applause someone might get for deciding not to drive a bus off a cliff after all!

Old 07-26-2018, 11:36 AM

"For the great enemy of truth is very often not the lie--deliberate, contrived and dishonest--but the myth--persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic. Too often we hold fast to the cliches of our forebears. We subject all facts to a prefabricated set of interpretations. We enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- JFK

https://www.jfklibrary.org/Research/...t-Address.aspx

If there is any thread to which this quote better applies, I don't know which it could possibly be...

Old 07-26-2018, 11:48 AM

"How does the current global economic outlook compare to that of a year ago? In 2017, the world economy was undergoing a synchronized expansion, with growth accelerating in both advanced economies and emerging markets. Moreover, despite stronger growth, inflation was tame – if not falling – even in economies like the United States, where goods and labor markets were tightening."

Fast-forward to 2018, and the picture looks very different. Though the world economy is still experiencing a lukewarm expansion, growth is no longer synchronized. Economic growth in the eurozone, the United Kingdom, Japan, and a number of fragile emerging markets is slowing. And while the US and Chinese economies are still expanding, the former is being driven by unsustainable fiscal stimulus.

https://www.project-syndicate.org/co...oubini-2018-07

Part of the rest of the story anyway, for those able to consider more than one angle...

Old 07-26-2018, 11:49 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
"For the great enemy of truth is very often not the lie--deliberate, contrived and dishonest--but the myth--persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic. Too often we hold fast to the cliches of our forebears. We subject all facts to a prefabricated set of interpretations. We enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- JFK

https://www.jfklibrary.org/Research/...t-Address.aspx

If there is any thread to which this quote better applies, I don't know which it could possibly be...
This thread has been the constant target of attack.
The price charts are undeniable facts. They are a factual historical record. People who don't want to deal in facts have a problem but the thread doesn't control for that.
If the economy was tanking and the market was crashing the same people that complain about this thread would be on here nonstop pointing out the obvious, as it is they are now on here denying the obvious.

They don't want any information that has anything positive about Trumps policy's in view.
Bless their hearts.

Full Disclosure : No one has been forced too participate in this thread and no animals have been intentionally harmed in the process of creating the thread.

Last edited by phma; 07-26-2018 at 12:01 PM..

Old 07-26-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
This thread has been the constant target of attack.
The price charts are undeniable facts. They are a factual historical record. People who don't want to deal in facts have a problem but the thread doesn't control for that.
If the economy was tanking and the market was crashing the same people that complain about this thread would be on here nonstop pointing out the obvious, as it is they are now on here denying the obvious.

They don't want any information that has anything positive about Trumps policy's in view.
Bless their hearts.
Please, at least try to understand...

There is a reason this thread is constantly "attacked" (criticized) that you don't seem able to understand. Of course the price charts are undeniable facts! Understanding undeniable facts is the issue here. Historical records too, can't be denied. Of course not, but understanding the REASON(S) history unfolds the way it does is very important and not easily done. This is one simple fact or truth you seem unwilling or unable deal with. I can't tell which.

Also please don't go on about what some people may do under whatever circumstances to justify what YOU are doing.

Any intelligent person should only want the facts and well reasoned objective evaluation as to their cause and effect. You want to continue your Trump angle regardless all the rest, that's your choice and prerogative also of course, but surely you can appreciate why people who can consider all the facts, objectively, are always going to be critical of your simple broken record sing song approach to understanding economics, at a minimum!

You want to focus on Trump's positives only? Fine, go ahead, but at least choose positives that Trump truly deserves credit for!

To use an analogy that might help you better understand a bit about facts and such, fact may be the Sun rises in the morning and also an undeniable fact the rooster crows in the morning, but these facts don't make it right or intelligent to give the rooster credit for the Sun rising in the morning. Again, there are a great many other factors involved, causes that make the Sun rise in the morning. All deserving far more credit than the rooster is rightfully due.

Your myopia is what causes the criticism, not an unwillingness to give Trump credit when due.

Old 07-26-2018, 12:28 PM

Why do I care?

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...y-hobbled.html

On the other hand, why do I bother when I know that no one changes their mind about anything in this forum?

I really don't know...

Old 07-26-2018, 12:40 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Please, at least try to understand...

There is a reason this thread is constantly "attacked" (criticized) that you don't seem able to understand. Of course the price charts are undeniable facts! Understanding undeniable facts is the issue here. Historical records too, can't be denied. Of course not, but understanding the REASON(S) history unfolds the way it does is very important and not easily done. This is one simple fact or truth you seem unwilling or unable deal with. I can't tell which.

Also please don't go on about what some people may do under whatever circumstances to justify what YOU are doing.

Any intelligent person should only want the facts and well reasoned objective evaluation as to their cause and effect. You want to continue your Trump angle regardless all the rest, that's your choice and prerogative also of course, but surely you can appreciate why people who can consider all the facts, objectively, are always going to be critical of your simple broken record sing song approach to understanding economics, at a minimum!

You want to focus on Trump's positives only? Fine, go ahead, but at least choose positives that Trump truly deserves credit for!

To use an analogy that might help you better understand a bit about facts and such, fact may be the Sun rises in the morning and also an undeniable fact the rooster crows in the morning, but these facts don't make it right or intelligent to give the rooster credit for the Sun rising in the morning. Again, there are a great many other factors involved, causes that make the Sun rise in the morning. All deserving far more credit than the rooster is rightfully due.

Your myopia is what causes the criticism, not an unwillingness to give Trump credit when due.
So you want to tell me what to do and who to be and if I'm willing to be a communist lefty I can get approval from the collective. Got it !!!
Do me a favor while I consider that. Start my next thread for me.

Meanwhile the DOW is at 25,563
Trump is still the greatest on the economy. That didn't change at all.

Last edited by phma; 07-26-2018 at 12:50 PM..

Old 07-26-2018, 02:51 PM

20,873 posts, read 9,541,930 times
Quote:
Trump is still the greatest on the economy.
There have been literally dozens of presidents who have done better on the economy than Trump (so far).

For example, there is never, ever, ever going to be 2 years under Trump that will be as good as Jimmy Carter's 2 best years. Not even close.

Old 07-26-2018, 02:54 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
Quote:
So you want to tell me what to do and who to be and if I'm willing to be a communist lefty I can get approval from the collective. Got it !!!
Do me a favor while I consider that. Start my next thread for me.

Meanwhile the DOW is at 25,563
Trump is still the greatest on the economy. That didn't change at all.
That's right -- no matter what Trump does the economy still goes at the same pace -- before him.

We are a great country -- even with Trump.

Old 07-26-2018, 04:18 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Meanwhile:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world...j9w?li=AAggv0m
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies