Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2018, 08:51 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Well, I guess selling wasn't such a bad idea! Looks like we might break 25K on the down side....and we have seen nothing yet.
Below 25K again

It seems we are stuck at this number. Zero gains in 2018.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:58 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times
Has anyone ever heard " don't try to catch a falling knife"

Yet here I am looking for a buy in point.

Another saying : Timing the market is a bad idea.

Another saying : Buy at the lows and sell at the highs.

It seems there is a saying for every situation and sometimes they conflict.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:01 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,168,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Has anyone ever heard " don't try to catch a falling knife"

Yet here I am looking for a buy in point.

Another saying : Timing the market is a bad idea.

Another saying : Buy at the lows and sell at the highs.

It seems there is a saying for every situation and sometimes they conflict.
Here are a few more asinine statements for you...
  • President Trump is absolutely the greatest on the economy. Dow breaks 25,000
  • They say it still has room to run !!!!
  • Go ahead 401K make my day !!!

Old 08-15-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Here are a few more asinine statements for you...
  • President Trump is absolutely the greatest on the economy. Dow breaks 25,000
  • They say it still has room to run !!!!
  • Go ahead 401K make my day !!!
America is the land of opportunity and the sky is the limit !!!

There is a huge line to get in. Not so much to get out.

Some people have been saying the president doesn't have much of an effect on markets.

Others say Obama gets all the credit. Trump gets none of it b/c he hasn't done anything.

The truth won't be known until Trump leaves office sometime around 2024

Some people consider the odds. Seasonal Patterns In Stock Markets: 319 Years Of Evidence
Powerful information for those who can dry their eyes long enough to read it.
What are the odds of that I wonder ?

https://seekingalpha.com/article/118...rs-of-evidence

Since 1950, being out of the market 6 months from May to October would have avoided a 10% loss, and above all would have avoided major drawdowns, both in depth and in length.

Last edited by phma; 08-15-2018 at 09:50 AM..

Old 08-15-2018, 09:42 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times
Quote:
I remember starting out investing, I thought, I going to learn as much as I can and that knowledge would get me where I wanted to go. A winning portfolio with fat profits. After a few years I realized the more I know, the less I knew. I would need three lifetimes and still come up short on learning everything.
I simply wasn't ever going to learn everything even in one lifetime. Learning as much as I could wasn't the answer that was going to get me to my goal.
It was time to wise up and develop a style that would work for me. It won't work for anyone else unless they are exactly like me. My interest, my time, my money, my efforts, my goals, my accounts. Fact is there is no one like me just as it can be said about everyone else. People are different and styles are different and situations are different.
I have no interest in telling people to listen to me or that what I do will be right for them also. To me that would be foolish, maybe even harmful to others. I'm not looking for an investment guru nor do I wish to be one either.
I don't celebrate regardless of the direction of the market. Keeping emotion out of investing works for me but might not for others. Some people just aren't made that way but its doesn't mean they can't be successful.

Here is what you say, from what I put in bold in your post, its out of context for illustration purpose ( my comments will be in () ):

1) I have tried to explain to you

( how nice, happy to listen )

2) I can't even understand

( Question it, rely on your own answer not mine )

3) awfully hard to make sense of your comments and/or logic here

( how could you, your not me )

4) I know better

( I bet you do, for you, but not for me. )

5) For most people

( I invest for me, not most people )

6) invest at the right time some time ago

( really think you can decide what the right time is for everyone or anyone but yourself )

7) the question is more about when to sell, "profit taking," and then to buy in again when that time is done.

( I have already stated in prior post I exited the market in the spring. Half the question you find important is in my rearview mirror.
I have what I call a gift account I'm looking for a buy in on. I'm looking for a buy in below where I sold in the spring. Its not an account I depend on in retirement to live off of.
It pays for extra vacation money, family gifts like birthdays and all kinds of presents to grandkids etc...
It started as a fun little idea but I treat it as serious as if it was my last dollar and have done quite well with it IMO. )

I keep things simple, for me all Presidents get credit & blame for what happens on their watch, period.
If the glass is half full or half empty is up to the individual. Government policy does have an impact on the markets as do many, many other things. I never made a dime knowing that.
You have a penchant for explaining the unnecessary, and again rather than repeat myself about that, I'll let my prior comments speak for themselves. I also have no notion this is anything but wasted time, but I do have an inclination to clear up misunderstanding where it is obviously needed...

For starters, you replied to my comment and asked if the facts had me down. I explained how the question made little sense. Your further "advice" noted as item #2 above makes even less sense, try as I might to give you some credit for trying to explain yourself. Clearly, I can't help you any here, but this mind meld game of yours is not one I am inclined to play. Make yourself clear or don't, but don't make me guess your point. No, facts don't get me down. That's my answer and bottom line with respect to the question you asked me, best I can understand it. Simple as that.

As for all the rest, listen. We all know anyone can comment as they wish, invest as they wish, do what they wish without necessarily having to make sense to anyone else. Again no need to explain the obvious along those lines. You want to bet on the ponies based on which names sound the most lucky to you? Of course, as you wish. I'm not addressing anyone's unique personal preferences or inclinations other than as they relate to more professional agreed upon investment strategy, very generally speaking. Understand?

Ultimately, what brought me to this thread was the misguided title, coupling Trump with today's economy. You obviously have your own unique take on all that sort of thing and of course that's your prerogative. You want to argue that you can have whatever opinion you like, invest in whatever way you like, for whatever your reasons? Of course you can.

You're argument, however, is forever about what you can and will do no matter what anyone else thinks, no matter contrary opinion, but that's not my argument. My argument(s) are about what makes sense all considered in terms of what advice or lessons learned apply to all of us generally speaking, like trying to time the market for example.

You, others, may feel they can "read the tea leaves" in their own special way, and of course this too is their prerogative! I'm not interested in any back-or-forth about that! My interest and my comments are focused on what makes sense for all of us generally speaking and what doesn't. Then too, why or why not. That's what my comments are about when it comes to what credit Trump gets for the economy. Yes of course all presidents get credit for what happens on their watch. "The buck stops here" sort of thing, but this doesn't mean more discerning minds are not going to evaluate what credit is due (or not), or we end up drawing false even dangerous conclusions. 9/11 happened on GW's watch, for example. Does this mean GW is to blame? If so, why? If not, why? That's the sort of evaluation all these subjects require not quite so simple as you prefer.

This too is the focus of my comments related to investment strategy, assuming the goal for all of us when investing is to make money rather than lose it. The latter topic is more appropriately discussed in another sub-forum and/or thread, but about that too, up to you of course! All as you wish, but think or pretend you are making as much sense as you think you are? I'd think again...

I suspect my time here is drawing to a close in any case, so don't let me ruin your fun any. Certainly today I've got to move onto something that makes a difference.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:19 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,168,172 times
Quote:
America is the land of opportunity and the sky is the limit !!!

There is a huge line to get in. Not so much to get out.

Some people have been saying the president doesn't have much of an effect on markets.

Others say Obama gets all the credit. Trump gets none of it b/c he hasn't done anything.

The truth won't be known until Trump leaves office sometime around 2024

Some people consider the odds. Seasonal Patterns In Stock Markets: 319 Years Of Evidence
Powerful information for those who can dry their eyes long enough to read it.
What are the odds of that I wonder ?

https://seekingalpha.com/article/118...rs-of-evidence

Since 1950, being out of the market 6 months from May to October would have avoided a 10% loss, and above all would have avoided major drawdowns, both in depth and in length.
None of which has anything to do with your nonsensical and partisan cheerleading in to OP.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
You have a penchant for explaining the unnecessary, and again rather than repeat myself about that, I'll let my prior comments speak for themselves. I also have no notion this is anything but wasted time, but I do have an inclination to clear up misunderstanding where it is obviously needed...

For starters, you replied to my comment and asked if the facts had me down. I explained how the question made little sense. Your further "advice" noted as item #2 above makes even less sense, try as I might to give you some credit for trying to explain yourself. Clearly, I can't help you any here, but this mind meld game of yours is not one I am inclined to play. Make yourself clear or don't, but don't make me guess your point. No, facts don't get me down. That's my answer and bottom line with respect to the question you asked me, best I can understand it. Simple as that.

As for all the rest, listen. We all know anyone can comment as they wish, invest as they wish, do what they wish without necessarily having to make sense to anyone else. Again no need to explain the obvious along those lines. You want to bet on the ponies based on which names sound the most lucky to you? Of course, as you wish. I'm not addressing anyone's unique personal preferences or inclinations other than as they relate to more professional agreed upon investment strategy, very generally speaking. Understand?

Ultimately, what brought me to this thread was the misguided title, coupling Trump with today's economy. You obviously have your own unique take on all that sort of thing and of course that's your prerogative. You want to argue that you can have whatever opinion you like, invest in whatever way you like, for whatever your reasons? Of course you can.

You're argument, however, is forever about what you can and will do no matter what anyone else thinks, no matter contrary opinion, but that's not my argument. My argument(s) are about what makes sense all considered in terms of what advice or lessons learned apply to all of us generally speaking, like trying to time the market for example.

You, others, may feel they can "read the tea leaves" in their own special way, and of course this too is their prerogative! I'm not interested in any back-or-forth about that! My interest and my comments are focused on what makes sense for all of us generally speaking and what doesn't. Then too, why or why not. That's what my comments are about when it comes to what credit Trump gets for the economy. Yes of course all presidents get credit for what happens on their watch. "The buck stops here" sort of thing, but this doesn't mean more discerning minds are not going to evaluate what credit is due (or not), or we end up drawing false even dangerous conclusions. 9/11 happened on GW's watch, for example. Does this mean GW is to blame? If so, why? If not, why? That's the sort of evaluation all these subjects require not quite so simple as you prefer.

This too is the focus of my comments related to investment strategy, assuming the goal for all of us when investing is to make money rather than lose it. The latter topic is more appropriately discussed in another sub-forum and/or thread, but about that too, up to you of course! All as you wish, but think or pretend you are making as much sense as you think you are? I'd think again...

I suspect my time here is drawing to a close in any case, so don't let me ruin your fun any. Certainly today I've got to move onto something that makes a difference.
You sure have helped keep the thread alive.
Your opinion is always welcome here. I actually enjoy it.
We agree on somethings even though I might not express it and we disagree on somethings also unexpressed. I am even more confident in what I'm doing. Knowing that I'm not doing, what most people do, doesn't bother me. I've often been on a hwy. watching rush hour traffic go in the opposite direction.
Many people overthink everything and spend a lot of time on things I consider useless. I keep things simple, for me. I simply don't care what method or style others use. I hope they do well and are satisfied with it. Hope everyone knows they are welcome to express what they are doing in the SM and why they like doing it.

As to the question on, 9/11 happened on GW's watch, for example. Does this mean GW is to blame?

Wrong question.
Was his response correct when it happened on his watch. IMO no. We didn't need to invade Iraq.

Last edited by phma; 08-15-2018 at 10:51 AM..

Old 08-15-2018, 11:04 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,980,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Below 25K again

It seems we are stuck at this number. Zero gains in 2018.
You do realize that the 4 major indexes are up YTD, no? I mean, ignoring the drama and the fake news that any POTUS has any control over the markets, facts are that the DOW, NADAQ, S&P, and Russell 2000 are all positive for the year.

If you have no gains for the year personally, thats one unfortunate thing, but the rest of the market is in a completely different situation for 2018 so far.

Go ahead and click the "YTD" above each chart, all four are in fact positive for 2018, facts are a stubborn thing.

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/%5EDJI?p=^DJI

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/%5EIXIC?p=^IXIC

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/%5ERUT?p=^RUT

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/%5EGSPC?p=^GSPC

Old 08-15-2018, 11:14 AM

20,873 posts, read 9,541,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
facts are that the DOW, NADAQ, S&P, and Russell 2000 are all positive for the year.
Not by much.

Old 08-15-2018, 11:17 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Not by much.
DOW is up by about 100 points, which is what...0.1%. Lets pop the champagne
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies