Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2018, 08:09 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,980,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
In addition to the "OK" or "bad" (depending on the scope of your investments) numbers, we also have other facts...real ones..

1. Most Americans own little or nothing in the stock market - and those of us who own a LOT are really a small minority
"richest 10# own 84% of the stock market"...

So that means, effectively, most debating here are in the richest 10%. Not exactly the forgotten men and women who Trump said would "win so much they might tire of winning"/

2. Real wages are not us (down, actually, a small amount) for the past year. Now THIS IS the forgotten man and woman. Even in this case, the wages are up for only that top 10 or 20%, and further down than mentioned for the rest (considering inflation and COL)....

As far as other indexes, I'd suggest y'll start new threads bragging on how great Trump is because the SPY is up much less than it was every year under Bill Clinton.

This thread says DOW and was written about DOW and is bragging about DOW. Period.
Just because you say it, doesn't make it a fact:

More Americans hold stocks, for better and for worse

Quote:
Slightly more than half of all U.S. families own stocks in some way, from workers who got automatically enrolled into their 401(k) retirement accounts to day-traders working their personal accounts. The rate of stock ownership is the highest since the dawn of the Great Recession in 2007.
But at least you stopped your other lie about the DOW not being up for the year when presented with facts to prove you wrong, I applaud you there, and look forward to you recognizing this lie/error in your ways here too.

As for everything else, I'm astonished you have not caught on yet that a) "this thread says "DOW" and was writen about DOW" so does that mean you retract your statements when you claim that regardless of DOW, other things like inflation and real wages negate the DOW being up? Because guess what, DOW and inflation and real wages are not the same thing if we are playing by the rules you demand of me. Same goes for the Clinton nonsense, doesn't count, and at the risk of repeating myself, no Bill Clinton didn't cause the uptick in the SPY nor did Trump or Obama cause this one...but hey, again, "Not the DOW"

Old 08-16-2018, 08:11 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,980,917 times
Quote:
I can't see how someone who has experienced many decades of watching the markets can say this.....

The Clinton years boomed due to that bad, bad, bad NAFTA and then the Dot-Com. Clinton and Gore and their administrations saw RIGHT AWAY the benefits of the internet and stood behind vast amounts of legislations concerning it. This included wiring up the entire country for a lot of YOU....

Sales and other taxes were waived on many internet services. I won't name it all, but there was a LOT of stuff going on and championed by the admin.

Using the inverse argument, is it just coincidence that GW and his GOP friends largely created the Great Recession...and that Republican policies created the S&L Crisis and Great Depression....

I'll answer that. No, not coincidence....

You'd be a fool to see the chaos being sown and say it doesn't rattle the markets.

This is some kind of new religion where people don't see cause and effect.

I guess money doesn't mean critical thinking....

I hereby sentence all of you to watch Wolf of Wall Street and Boiler Room over and over again.

Oh, and also the Big Short and related flicks.
I watch the markets and you can see trends in them based on economic/business cycles, trends in fundamentals and patterns in Technical Analysis...not the POTUS. I can point you to dozens of articles by financial experts that discuss how and why the POTUS has minimal real long term impacts on the market, I'd suggest you check those out instead of watching ridiculous movies about Wall St.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:18 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,661,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
And, back in 1789 the US was an agrarian economy, with something like 90% of the population employed as farmers. Not particularly relevant to nowadays.
You missed the point being made. That is political convenient.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
I can't see how someone who has experienced many decades of watching the markets can say this.....

The Clinton years boomed due to that bad, bad, bad NAFTA and then the Dot-Com. Clinton and Gore and their administrations saw RIGHT AWAY the benefits of the internet and stood behind vast amounts of legislations concerning it. This included wiring up the entire country for a lot of YOU....

Sales and other taxes were waived on many internet services. I won't name it all, but there was a LOT of stuff going on and championed by the admin.

Using the inverse argument, is it just coincidence that GW and his GOP friends largely created the Great Recession...and that Republican policies created the S&L Crisis and Great Depression....

I'll answer that. No, not coincidence....

You'd be a fool to see the chaos being sown and say it doesn't rattle the markets.

This is some kind of new religion where people don't see cause and effect.

I guess money doesn't mean critical thinking....

I hereby sentence all of you to watch Wolf of Wall Street and Boiler Room over and over again.

Oh, and also the Big Short and related flicks.
Hollywood !!! I'm still waiting for Robert Dezero to punch Trump.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:47 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Trump is right: America was ‘built on tariffs’.
That's one way to defend tax hikes......

Old 08-16-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james bond 007 View Post
i don't recall the media ever saying that 2% was never achieved under obama, nor that obama ever said that more than that was not possible.
i never said it either so what is your point ?

Old 08-16-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
That's one way to defend tax hikes......
It was a way to run the country without income taxes too. That is the history.
Tariffs funded the gov. back then. Maybe its time to consider that again.

I wonder. Could people control the size of gov. based on what they wanted to buy in the way of imports. Want smaller gov. buy less imported unnecessary crap. Made in the USA no extra burden of tariffs in the price.

Last edited by phma; 08-16-2018 at 09:06 AM..

Old 08-16-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
It was a way to run the country without taxes too. Maybe its time to consider that again.
You can consider it all you want. In the meanwhile Trump is slapping that tax on top of all the other taxes.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You can consider it all you want. In the meanwhile Trump is slapping that tax on top of all the other taxes.
I thought we were being told he was just slapping around the Dems because it was fun. I liked the image of that but didn't buy the story.

Once again, for the learning impaired, we are in negotiations not at a final deal.
What we do know and have been told by the left is they will raise taxes considerately higher b/c they know best how to spend Our Money which they will run out of all to soon.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
I thought we were being told he was just slapping around the Dems because it was fun.
I wouldn't know. You Q-Anonites are being told some pretty wacky things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies