Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2018, 07:56 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I've seen some restaurants with the 'order kiosks' on table but it doesn't seem like most people use them.

There was one place, I believe it was an Outback Steakhouse where they required to pay on the kiosk. It doesn't seem customers like them much, although might depend on the age range.

Also mom and pop businesses with 1 location are unlikely to be able to afford to implement the technology which puts them at a disadvantage.
We don't go out to eat much so I've only used kiosks a couple of times. My husband likes them OK; my parents loathe them and refuse to use them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 07:58 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
How did this country function when there wasn't a supply of "cheap labor " from illegal immigrants ?
When, in our history was there not a supply of Cheap Labor? (Consider all forms of "cheap labor")

I'm going back to 1776 and am not sure I know when that occurred....

Old 01-10-2018, 08:02 AM

1,427 posts, read 1,185,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
In the "not so shocking" news category... Red Robin cutting busboys...
Progress?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
If they aren't going to clean off the tables......... I won't eat there..........
Now even less appetizing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Good. Less illegal immigrant employment
More opportunity for you? Be sure to fight off any increase in wages at your job, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
They know that ICE is going to increase targeting of the workplace, X 4 this year, and criminally charge those for hiring illegals...
Warms your heart, don't it? I wouldn't look for any employers getting in legal trouble, though. Just wipe your table clean with your sleeve before you leave.

Quote:
The minimum wage hike is going or put many small businesses out of business and also put many employees out of work .

But even then you'll see the liberals try to claim "there is no correlation!"
Nah. Everything will be fine because, hey, non-immigrant workers are going to take up the slack, especially in fields of work like this.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:04 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
My daughter works at a restaurant. What many have is food runners. Their purpose is to take the food to the table and bus the table. The waiters and waitresses give them a percentage of the tips.
You're right. I've probably gotten food runners mixed up with wait staff.

We're usually directed to a table by one person who gives us our menus.

Then another person comes out and takes our drink order and tells us our waiter will be with us "shortly."

A third person comes out, I assume this is the wait staff person, who takes our order.

Our food might be brought out by our waiter, sometimes with one or two other people helping. Sometimes the one or two other people are not accompanied by the waiter. These must be the food runners.

After a few minutes, the waiter comes by and asks if everything is okay. Sometimes they refresh our drinks, sometimes another person comes to do this.

Whoever brings out our entrees usually takes away the appetizer plates. Entree plates are taken away when the desserts arrive.

We ate out half a dozen times in the last couple weeks. Don't recall separate busboys clearing the table at any of the establishments.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:05 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,074,171 times
Well their financials haven't been doing too good and revenue is down so yeah..they have to do something.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:05 AM

1,427 posts, read 1,185,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
When, in our history was there not a supply of Cheap Labor? (Consider all forms of "cheap labor")

I'm going back to 1776 and am not sure I know when that occurred....
Umm, when it was "Great?"

Old 01-10-2018, 08:08 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post

Gee, WHY aren't the permanent corporate tax cuts offsetting the minimum wage hikes? Greed?
No correlation between the two. Can't pay $15/hr to someone that's worth $9/hr. Now do you understand?

Old 01-10-2018, 08:10 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Yawn. Oh noes, they might go out and find better paying jobs. We have low unemployment at the moment, they will be fine. Heck maybe we will save some money by not having to pay their food stamps. These are sucky jobs that dont pay enough to survive.
So it takes a law to raise minimum wage to get busboys to leave their job and go find a better paying one to get them off of food stamps? lol Do you know how dumb that sounds? The busboys are couldn't think for themselves, right? There were tons of better paying jobs out there it's just that these busboys were either too stupid or ignorant to go out and find those jobs?

When they are unemployed they will be on more government assistance. When they get a job that more than likely be minimum wage, they will be on government assistance.

Unemployment is low. Welfare is high. There has been little in the form of recovery.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:11 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
I wouldnt have a problem paying $1 or more when going out to eat, if I knew that meant employees were earning a living wage and I knew they were did not have to depend on assistance from Govt to make ends meet each month, I think many other people would agree.

I laugh everytime the tired old argument about these jobs not being intended as career type jobs and are only staffed by part time students, those just starting out, retirees, etc. Have people forgotten that times change, its not this way anymore! lol

I would also not think I deserve a raise because of this too, I am able to make enough to make ends meet, I dont have much left over, but I do not have to seek out Govt assistance either.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:14 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
So it takes a law to raise minimum wage to get busboys to leave their job and go find a better paying one to get them off of food stamps? lol Do you know how dumb that sounds? The busboys are couldn't think for themselves, right? There were tons of better paying jobs out there it's just that these busboys were either too stupid or ignorant to go out and find those jobs?

When they are unemployed they will be on more government assistance. When they get a job that more than likely be minimum wage, they will be on government assistance.

Unemployment is low. Welfare is high. There has been little in the form of recovery.
Dont forget the arrogance of thinking you know whats best for everyone else and forcing it on them at gunpoint
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies