Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is at fault for the shutdown?
House/Senate Majority Republicans 138 37.50%
Democrats 171 46.47%
Both 59 16.03%
Voters: 368. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 09:18 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Why, I can't 'phantom' it either.
boo! SCARY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 09:25 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Senate Republicans don't agree on the bill but it is the fault of the Democrats that they aren't supporting the bill .

Funny when Obama was in office and the Republicans wouldn't play nice with the Democrats everyone blamed Obama. But now it is all the Democrats fault.

If I didn't know any better I'd say something's fishy here.

(even Trump blamed the President at the time - -lol)

Old 01-19-2018, 09:28 AM

62,970 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Honestly, I don't care one way or another if some Dreamer's parent feels "rewarded" or not. My interest is what is good for society on macro- and micro- levels. As of January 19, 2018 there are about 800,000 educated people in the US actively contributing to society and the economy. Kicking them out makes no sense on any level. Its like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

And the unemployment rate is at almost 4%. Lower than it has been in decades. Why are you so worried about competition for jobs?

Doesn't matter to me how they "feel" either it's the end result of not rewarding them because it's not in the nation's best interest and that's the bottom line. Did you not read the links I provided that proves many or not most DACAs do not fit your description of them? Why don't the educated ones go back to their own countries and use it to help them? Opening jobs opportunities for Americans instead of illegals will make them contributing members of our society. We don't need any illegals for that. Kicking them out makes all the sense in the world and I have already explained why. We have annual quotas for legal immigration for those very reasons but you'd negate those sane reasons to accommodate illegal aliens?

Your unemployment stats are incorrect. There are still many unemployed Americans or only partially employed ones. How about all those jobs that their parents have taken? Millions of them such as construction, etc. Competition for jobs is fine as long as it's between our own citizens but not when it's illegal aliens doing so.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:31 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,587,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Doesn't matter to me how they "feel" either it's the end result of not rewarding them because it's not in the nation's best interest and that's the bottom line. Did you not read the links I provided that proves many or not most DACAs do not fit your description of them? Why don't the educated ones go back to their own countries and use it to help them? Opening jobs opportunities for Americans instead of illegals will make them contributing members of our society. We don't need any illegals for that. Kicking them out makes all the sense in the world and I have already explained why. We have annual quotas for legal immigration for those very reasons but you'd negate those sane reasons to accommodate illegal aliens?

Your unemployment stats are incorrect. There are still many unemployed Americans or only partially employed ones. How about all those jobs that their parents have taken? Millions of them such as construction, etc. Competition for jobs is fine as long as it's between our own citizens but not when it's illegal aliens doing so.
My "unemployment stats are incorrect"? I use the ones provided by the US Bureau of Labor Statistics. What stats do you use? Ones you fabricate? Random percentages you find on the side of a cereal box?

Old 01-19-2018, 09:40 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,638,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post

so to be clear, you believe the TRump administration is lying with its BLS numbers...? You are calling Trump a liar...

just want to be clear so that later when i quote you , you don't pretend you misunderstood....

Old 01-19-2018, 09:47 AM

18,744 posts, read 7,613,748 times
You might be a liberal if.....

....if, when 95% of Republicans vote for a bill and 100% of Democrats vote against it, you blame Republicans for it being voted down.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:52 AM

1 posts, read 320 times
I used to be a Democratic voter......those days are gone now. There is no DACA Bill for them to even vote on, but they obstruct passing a Budget. I have a son in the military who now won't be paid. Are you kidding me? It takes 60 votes to pass a Funding Bill through the Senate; Democrats must step up. Resist is not the answer. Our security is at stake. Speaking of DACA/Dreamers, it is my understanding that there are @ 800,000 DACA people but if Dreamers are included the number is closer to 4,000,00. You can't vote on a Bill that doesn't yet exist; it's time to recognise that the Budget must be taken care of now(before midnight tonight); DACA has until March 5th.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:54 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
What are you talking about? There was a bipartisan DACA bill. Guess who blew it up?

What does DACA have to do with paying the military or extending CHIP?

What part of the continuing resolution do Democrats object to?

Old 01-19-2018, 10:02 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
I hope that today, Jan. 19th, for the sake of the country, that the Democrats in the Senate temporarily allow Trump and the Republicans to carry-out their act of extortion and contribute their votes to pass a stop-gap budget bill.

Then, over the next 6 weeks, they should hold the feet of Trump and the Republicans to the fire, if they fail to cooperate in passing an acceptable extension of the DACA Bill. If they refuse to do that, they will expose themselves to be the frauds that they are.

A vast majority of the people of this country, including republicans, are in favor of extending the provisions of DACA. The Republicans will pay a steep price in the 2018 elections, if they block this bill. By holding up such legislation for ransom and then pulling another bait-and-switch trick, what credibility they might still have, would be gone.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:04 AM

62,970 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
My "unemployment stats are incorrect"? I use the ones provided by the US Bureau of Labor Statistics. What stats do you use? Ones you fabricate? Random percentages you find on the side of a cereal box?

Provide a link that shows that all those American construction workers got their jobs back from illegal aliens and other blue-collared Americans for a fair rate of pay again. Show that most illegals left those jobs. An American working two part time jobs at a lower wage doesn't count.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies