Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 08:13 PM

30,168 posts, read 11,803,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
The reason that these companies whine is because they are greedy corporatists. If they could make us all third world slaves working in horrible conditions just to make our sole purpose in existing to make them richer, they would.

Well if everyone was a slave that would mean none of us would earn any money. How would the corporatists as you call them make any money? Who would be buying the products we made for them?

You have to think through better your statements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 08:19 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,588,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
As you are I expect aware that is do to some specific program in Washington state. In NV the installation of solar is marginal with the 30% Federal subsidy. The sales pitch is that utility charges are going up over 50% in the next 20 years which is of course also hogwash. The utilities will make out much better from solar than the rooftop consumer.

I would think the Chinese industry simply has enough advantage of size and technology that it is unlikely that we or anyone else is going to catch up. That was driven by the Chinese decision to strongly support and subsidize the industry over the last decades. At this point it is unlikely that other states will be able to catch up. There are some possibilities in such areas as casting rather than growing and slicing and exotic device structures providing increased efficiency. Very long shot though.

And there is every reason to believe that the decision does damage the installation industry. Might make some sense if coupled with a strong push to assist the local cell manufacturing industry. Have seen no sign of that however. Doubt it is workable after the Solyandra debacle.
If so, perhaps we can try and come up with something better than solar so that we can make the Chinese look like asses and be stuck with outdated technology that is losing market.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:26 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,588,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetwise5 View Post
Does nobody remember Smoot Hawley? We are doomed to repeat history if we cannot learn from it.

The battle of Smoot-Hawley | The Economist
1.) No I don't, as that was in the 1920's, way before my time. That, said, I know it helped cause the Great Depression.

2.) China also happens to be supporting Rocket Man, so punishing their economy would be a good move. In fact, I think Trump should amp it up.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:46 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,573,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
1.) I thought only Congress could impose tariffs. How was Trump able to do this all by himself?
2.) He's imposing it on imports here. Not on our exports or on making it here. How are jobs being lost HERE for it?
3.) China happens to be supporting Rocket Man in North Korea, so if we hurt their economy with this, maybe they'll do something about him.
4.) I thought you liberals all hated the Chinese stuff and whined about Chinese labor practices and offshoring to China. By doing this, he has made it more difficult for companies to offshore to China and then sell stuff here.

Liberals would love this, if it was not Trump doing it. Seeing Trump fail is their Dream and Fantasy world they live in. You can't fix that mental deficit.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:50 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,573,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Samsung is a South Korean Company, Kia/ Hyundai too.

Each has manufacturing plants in the US.

After this tariff, how many jobs will be lost in the US?

None. Actually it could make more Jobs. If there Companies have to pay a Tariff on their Imports, they may gear up more and make more Cars here so they don't have to pay an Import Tariff. These people aren't dumb, and neither is Trump. Trump is a Business man and knows what he is doing here.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:12 PM

8,158 posts, read 3,678,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
It's Chinese crap that breaks....I've had to repair it several times. I'm happy Apple is bringing manufacturing back to the US so we'll get better quality.
Lol, do you even know what that means. Do you mean final assembly? The chips in your phone come from myriad of companies/countries. That's not going to change. Some stuff is made by American companies elsewhere, some stuff is made by foreign companies elsewhere, some by foreign here, and yes, some by US companies here. None of this is going to change.

You drop things, they break. Back in the day with the removable batteries, the phone and battery fly apart, absorbing a lot of the energy. Maybe you should get a phone like that instead of complaining where it is made.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:14 PM

30,168 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
people always have the choice to purchase chinese or american based on their own criteria i.e. price vs quality
No tariffs needed.
Tariffs will at least make us more price competitive.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:14 PM

4,559 posts, read 1,437,602 times
Now that is good Mr Trump.

There are plenty of California solar companies for decades that have suffered because of "cheaper overseas" businesses.

However, I am quite certain that some $$$$ will make it into trumps and company pockets.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:24 PM

45,231 posts, read 26,457,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
You have a funny way of saying more expensive.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:52 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
Such protectionism has never worked.

Free market is what has made this country great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies