Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2018, 07:22 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,441,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Eugene Wilkie yesterday, Owner and CEO of Now Solar:

https://twitter.com/NOW1SOLAR/status/955579485998362625
#fakenews he's crying chicken little because his gravy train is about to end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 07:24 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,754,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
It should be 200%. We can make our own solar panels, and we shouldn't be importing anything from china in the first place. Bunch of commie garbage.

Yah, and I see another comment from someone with the same thought- we gotta kick out all the chinese nationals. They steal. They rob us blind...

lets start a list of all the crap they have stolen, I'll go first:

1. Supercomputer tech (and then Slick Willy gave them what they didn't steal.)
2. Nuclear warhead designs
3. Nuclear warhead trigger designs
4. ICBM command and control designs
5. ICBM re-entry body designs
6. ICBM MIRV designs

...getting scared yet?.....

7. Biological warfare stockpile information
8. High energy physics codes (useful in nuclear weapon simulations)
9. nanotechnology IP (of many kinds)
10. Next generation semiconductor IP (many companies victimized)

anyone else?
Every country steals from us and China is not even the worst.

Ever wonder how Israel got the tech to develop a nuclear bomb all the way back in the 60s?

Old 01-23-2018, 07:25 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,421,987 times
More corporate welfare paid for by the american consumer.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:26 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,565,195 times
I am not big on tariffs. However, many countries like China do NOT practice Fair Trade. They put high tariffs, or just don't allow our products, yet sell Billions of $$$ in their products here in the U.S. A lot of times China will steal our technology, and reverse engineer it, or just use the technology illegally.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:33 AM

13,946 posts, read 5,618,313 times
From the article:
Quote:
The International Trade Commission endorsed tariffs of up to 35 percent after it ruled that domestic manufacturers suffered "serious injury" from the imports, a finding required to impose tariffs under Section 201 of the Trade Act of 1974.
He didn't do anything uncalled for. Really.

We'll see how it plays out in the famously anti-American, pro-EU/China WTO, but chances are good it will last as long as the steel tariff of 2001, but with less disastrous results. Good news for Trump is one of the domestic defenders of this tariff is really a subsidiary of a German company, and if we know anything at all about the EU, it's that Germany is Soviet Moscow and the rest of the EU is their USSR. That works in Trump's favor, as the overlords of all things Euro have a stake in us coming out on top. The WTO loves to mess with the US< but they fear Empress Merkel.

On the political front, while I hate this and any other tariff, I will enjoy no small amount of schadenfreude as our domestic PV solar lobby enjoys the resulting higher prices and supply shortages, simply because Chinese PV dumping is what fuels their "it's cheaper than coal" sanctimony. Still hate tariffs, but sanctimonious jacktards getting any sort of what-for is always fun.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:33 AM

8,059 posts, read 3,942,643 times
Off the top of my head, India, the EU and the US all have tariffs against China's solar panel "dumping".

In 2012, Obama placed a 30% tariff on solar panels from China... the world didn't end.

in 2014, Obama placed 42% - 165% tariffs on solar panels from China... the world didn't end.

Somehow, I think we will survive Trumps tariffs.
(don't know if we will ever stop China "dumping" products on our shores tho).

Old 01-23-2018, 07:49 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,997,862 times
It seems though that in this case -- Trump is trying to protect 2 companies.

Most companies that produced solar panels finally gave up and focused on the installation and servicing of these panels.

That sector -- given that most companies have decided to let Chinese have the production market -- has still had job growth that is 17 times FASTER than the rest of the US economy.

Trump is pandering to 2 companies with the solar panels and one company with the washing machines.

I will repeat that overwhelmingly it has been proven that tariffs rarely have the gains that are intended and have always ended up with fewer choices and more cost for consumers.

It is what it is. History can't be rewritten on that .

Why is Trump - like the tax credit -- implementing all these policies that really favor the corporate world at a time that corporations don't need bailing out by the govt.

I am not a total libertarian in that I do think sometimes govt. can try to promote growth industries or help during economic down times. That's just my personal view.

But during a boom market -- which we are suppose to be in as Trump reminds us every day - why so much focus on giving corporations more deals.

Right now we are HOPING that all this pandering to corporations may trickle down but if evidence of the last 40 years is any indicator -- those CEO's are gong to share their wind falls with their 'employees' very sparingly. Sure sure -- after Trump handed them all those tax cuts they made grand gestures paying out bonuses and raising minimum wages claiming the tax credits were the reason . If you don't think that was for show and for more hand outs, you are naive.

Some will say -- but it is all good -- even if they throw pennies at us -- it is all good. But is it. Will it make the middle class grow? Will the gap between the middle class and the rich continue to expand exponentially.......

I think the middle class will continue to shrink as our costs go up and we get the scraps thrown out as bait for more incentives for the corporations and their CEO's.

And be clear -- I'm all for free market economy. Capitalism is the way to go. But is it true capitalism when the government favors the businesses.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:08 AM

30,141 posts, read 11,770,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
From the story:

The Solar Energy Industries Association predicted...

A lobbying group predicted the job loss. What do you expect them to say? Not credible.

Allowing American companies to have a more even playing field will create jobs.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:11 AM

18,801 posts, read 8,464,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
But you don't feel sorry for the businesses that China caused to go under by selling inferior copies of the products they stole from that company? A True American
I don't know that China stole our solar panel 'secrets'. But I do feel sorry for the businesses that went under due to cheap solar panels. They can't compete but I still feel sorry or them as jobs were lost.

Conservatives don't. They feel those companies shouldn't have been in business in the first place.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:13 AM

18,801 posts, read 8,464,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
When I get the time, I will write out some truths about the Solar Energy and the damages Republicans cost to America and American people In their fights against "Clean Energy".

President Carter was way ahead of the Republican Mentality, one can go back to the Reagan Era and see the idiocy of Republican Mentality, when Reagan had the panels removed that President Carter had Installed.

Republican have long been a believer in Corporate Self Interest at the expense of America and It's People, and again we see it, being pushed exactly the same with Trump, in how his Corporate Self Interest Madness has attacked our EPA and every elements of Environment Protections and has no concern for Clean Energy. He is chasing Coal and Destroying many once protected lands, to support Corporate Greed....

America would be ahead in the world right this day in Clean Energy if Republicans had not attacked every aspect of it, by every means they could conceive to attack, with their aims to defeat the work that President Obama worked diligently to promote.
Low Chinese solar prices were the best thing for home solar. I put in solar before the Chinese surge, and could have saved all the money I saved generating my own juice over the years simply by waiting and buying those cheaper panels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies