Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Other than the shooter, who do you think is most responsible for the tragedy
Youtube, for deleting the warning comments of someone on the video 1 0.71%
The FBI 19 13.57%
The sheriff and his deputies 19 13.57%
The NRA 21 15.00%
Donald Trump 1 0.71%
The Second Amendment 6 4.29%
The FBI AND the sheriff and deputies and maybe Youtube too 51 36.43%
Other 22 15.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 08:22 AM

1,704 posts, read 752,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
All students should be taught safe gun handling and marksmanship. Seems obvious.
The absolute last thing we need is a bunch of immature hormone saturated kids walking around with any kind of a weapon!

You've just got to be kidding!...I hope....

All kinds of boyfriends, girlfriends, teachers, administrators, classmates, and parents would end up in the ER with riddled bodies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 08:24 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,137,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
These are all valid points.

However we could have a national database of Firearm and ammo purchases that correlates large buys with certain public behaviors - and trigger a visit from LE or the FBI.

Based on the last couple of years of shooting these could have prevented at least some of this - including this one.
Lucky for America, your side isn't going to get that next step. We've done it your way for too long----we're going to make some policy changes that make more sense.

Identifying these nuts before they twist the wires together is a better protocol.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:26 AM

42,876 posts, read 26,418,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
I wanted to address this separately and let you know how to get it done. Bloomberg style attacks State by State will ultimately fail when the laws come up for review in US district courts and ultimately the Supreme Court. To deal with this you must elect a President who holds gun control as the most important issue facing the United States above all else: abortion, international trade, immigration, environmental concerns, space exploration, research and development, medical care, provisions for old age, and minority rights of the people.
The Congress of course must support this person, 60%.
Then that President can load the courts with anti gun Federal judges who will allow laws to be enforced that are otherwise invalid per the 2nd Amendment.
That is probably easier that the path outlined in my post about Article 5.
"Get out and start campaigning"
If kids keep getting killed in school it won't require Presidential action at all you will see the public turn on guns just the same way their opinion changed about smoking.

PS SCOTUS has already upheld states rights to impose controls on weapons, go look at case law if you doubt me.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeliner View Post
The absolute last thing we need is a bunch of immature hormone saturated kids walking around with any kind of a weapon!

You've just got to be kidding!...I hope....

All kinds of boyfriends, girlfriends, teachers, administrators, classmates, and parents would end up in the ER with riddled bodies!
Herein lies the problem. Some people are clueless.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:27 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,552,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeliner View Post
<>
You're responses to #'s 4-8 are irrelevant.
(4) You've missed the point. If a relative, friend, or associate commits a crime with your gun, then you should bear partial responsibility for that crime.<>
Replace that with "car" See if that applies?
"I Am Not A Lawyer but it is doubtful"

Old 02-17-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
If kids keep getting killed in school it won't require Presidential action at all you will see the public turn on guns just the same way their opinion changed about smoking.

PS SCOTUS has already upheld states rights to impose controls on weapons, go look at case law if you doubt me.
Why would you provoke such a bloody confrontation? Do you really talk like that around others?

Old 02-17-2018, 08:29 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,552,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Have you got any specific examples of animals committing suicide?<>
Yeah, and the lemming thing is a Disney construct and false.
"So There!"

Old 02-17-2018, 08:31 AM

42,876 posts, read 26,418,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Why would you provoke such a bloody confrontation? Do you really talk like that around others?
I have no idea how that relates to anything that I said, I would appreciate your explaining it to me.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:33 AM

1,704 posts, read 752,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Replace that with "car" See if that applies?
"I Am Not A Lawyer but it is doubtful"
The purpose of a car is to transport. The purpose of a firearm is to kill.

Two completely different purposes requiring two completely different levels of responsibility...

Old 02-17-2018, 08:33 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,946,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
So if we had 200 million no mass murders? What about 280 million? China has 1.4 billion people, India 1.3 billion, Indonesia 266 million - none of them have mass murders every two or three months

That is probably one of the worst excuses for not doing anything to stop mass shootings that I have ever read, anywhere.
This is a very simple critical thinking framework:

• Identify the problems. — “What’s the real question we’re facing here?”
• Define the context. — “What are the facts & circumstances that frame this problem?”
• Enumerate choices. — “What are our most plausible three or four options?”
• Analyze options. — “What is our best course of action, all things considered?”
• List reasons explicitly. — “Let’s be clear: Why we are making this particular choice?”
• Self-correct. — “Okay, let’s look at it again. What did we miss?”

One way to sidestep this framework is to refuse to identify the problems.

To state the obvious, it's not helpful if the objective is problem-solving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies