Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Other than the shooter, who do you think is most responsible for the tragedy
Youtube, for deleting the warning comments of someone on the video 1 0.71%
The FBI 19 13.57%
The sheriff and his deputies 19 13.57%
The NRA 21 15.00%
Donald Trump 1 0.71%
The Second Amendment 6 4.29%
The FBI AND the sheriff and deputies and maybe Youtube too 51 36.43%
Other 22 15.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 09:58 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
It is essential to define what we are discussing or the result is argument over unimportant details.
Look up AR 15 or you do not know what you are talking about or worrying over. One of the thinking points here is military weapons are designed to some degree, to wound, not kill. It take a lot of resources in a fire fight to deal with wounded comrades. The weapons that strike fear in your heart would be replaced by more lethal weapons.
Your vocabulary doesn't help the discussion. It does give posters an incentive to block you as a poster who relies on sexism to make a point.
I realise this is not a debate class, but it is not a drama class either.
What nonsense, military weapons are designed to kill, you don't engage in combat and hope you just hurt your enemy a little bit you try to kill them. Where in the world did you ever come up with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 10:00 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
How about we stop allowing our children to witness deadly massacres of their classmates in school?
Yeah, it's much better too let them see violence in glorified Hollywood form.

How about we find workable solutions to the problem, as the poster was attempting to do?

Old 02-17-2018, 10:02 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
What nonsense, military weapons are designed to kill, you don't engage in combat and hope you just hurt your enemy a little bit you try to kill them. Where in the world did you ever come up with that?
We aren't discussing military weapons, we're discussing the most commonly owned civilian rifle.

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
It's definitely from Dr. Peter Facione, he updates his wonderful essay, Critical Thinking: What It Is and Why It Counts every year, not sure which year that particular format is from (perhaps 2009?).

https://www.insightassessment.com/Re...ical-Reasoning

Critical Thinking: What It Is and Why It Counts

https://www.insightassessment.com/Re...-Why-It-Counts

Also, The Fifth Discipline by Peter Senge is related to (last part of your reply brought it to mind):

The 11 Laws of the Fifth Discipline
  1. Today's problems come from yesterday's "solutions."
  2. The harder you push, the harder the system pushes back.
  3. Behavior grows better before it grows worse.
  4. The easy way out usually leads back in.
  5. The cure can be worse than the disease.
  6. Faster is slower.
  7. Cause and effect are not closely related in time and space.
  8. Small changes can produce big results...but the areas of highest leverage are often the least obvious.
  9. You can have your cake and eat it too ---but not all at once.
  10. Dividing an elephant in half does not produce two small elephants.
  11. There is no blame.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fifth_Discipline
Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes...

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

I also think it is easy to critically think our way toward doing nothing, because sometimes we are inclined toward the easy way out rather than believe we can do better. Still, regardless, good strong critical thinking is key. So is balance. Neither is commonly found in this forum...

5,069 posts, read 2,279,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
And yet the state of Florida has no legal way to confiscate weapons from a sick kid like the one who just murdered 17 people and injured almost as many others. The NRA lobby as seen to that.
It's not the NRA, in your statement above, that's responsible. People in this country do have rights, and even the ACLU would be on the case if this kid were detained. Perhaps it's time to revisit, legally, what avenues are available to parents and family when it comes to having their kid or relative adjudicated as mentally ill. It would seem with this particular guy that there would have been enough evidence to do that. And if the parents or relatives won't (or can't) see to it, do we need other ways?

There are also HIPPA laws that need to be followed. The NRA has nothing to do with that, either. For all of you who are ready to remove gun owners' rights, what other rights are you willing to give away?

If I believed that we would never see another school or church shooting again by banning the AR-15, if I knew that another parent would not have to suffer the loss of a child, I would hand it over tomorrow. Then what? Because it won't stop the shootings. Only the complete removal of guns will do that. Remove the AR, and it will be the handgun, and the shotgun, and on and on. Some of us do have reason to own guns, and I'm not going to give up one of my most effective ways to protect my family, pets, and property.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:03 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Quote:
And yet the state of Florida has no legal way to confiscate weapons from a sick kid like the one who just murdered 17 people and injured almost as many others. The NRA lobby as seen to that.
You are too focused on the immediate shock. There are laws that would permit this, but authority to do that is limited by due process. The Baker Laws allow very radical treatment of those once
they are found to act erratically. There is a concerted effort to control the application of these laws in areas far more complex than shootings. Do some research.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:03 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times
Quote:
Sorry, I'm not up to speed on the proper names of all the phallic symbols manufactured by the gun industry.
No wonder...

Old 02-17-2018, 10:07 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Yeah, it's much better too let them see violence in glorified Hollywood form.

How about we find workable solutions to the problem, as the poster was attempting to do?
You are against not allowing our children to witness deadly shootings of their classmates?

This solution is right under our noses.

Quote:
Research has found that states with more expansive background check laws experience 48 percent less gun trafficking, 38 percent fewer deaths of women shot by intimate partners, and 17 percent fewer firearms involved in aggravated assaults.7 States with universal background check requirements also have a 53 percent lower gun suicide rate, and a 31 percent lower overall suicide rate than states without these laws.8 This correlation is unchanged even after controlling for the effects of poverty, population density, age, education, and race/ethnicity.9 After controlling for these variables, universal background checks were associated with 22% fewer suicides and 35% fewer firearm suicides per capita.
Effectiveness of the Brady Act and Background Checks | Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence

Old 02-17-2018, 10:08 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Wishful thinking...

We've all long had more than enough compelling reason to stop these sorts of tragedies, but there simply is no real solution in a country with over 300 million guns, not for gun violence anyway, and gun violence is not the only kind of violence of course.

What does seem inevitable is more and more security that prevents anyone with a gun from entering "gun free zones," like in airports, courthouses, and other public venues where a security check-point and gun-screening barriers are set up to ensure no one inside has a gun. Hate to see it, and won't be cheap, but at least that's one approach that everyone agrees tends to work for the most part.

At least that way kids can feel safer once they are in school, parents too, and if education matters, thinking about other than guns while at school matters too.

Not sure how safe they can be getting to school however, but hey, some practical level of safety in school is better than none! (Also in other public arenas like concerts, sports events, etc.)
It will change, if not now then it won't be too far in the future. High school kids who see what happened to kids in Parkland will be voting soon and I don't think most of them are going to support the NRA's position on guns. Florida school shooting: Students emerge as powerful new voice calling adults to account on gun control | The Independent

A number of the boys I graduated with in high school class died in Vietnam, that happened across the US and created a huge backlash to the war, waking up people who were apolitical like myself and making us angry enough to get out and protest until the war was ultimately ended. I think there will be a similar backlash against our lax gun laws when the kids who are currently in school start to vote

Old 02-17-2018, 10:12 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
It's not the NRA, in your statement above, that's responsible. People in this country do have rights, and even the ACLU would be on the case if this kid were detained. Perhaps it's time to revisit, legally, what avenues are available to parents and family when it comes to having their kid or relative adjudicated as mentally ill. It would seem with this particular guy that there would have been enough evidence to do that. And if the parents or relatives won't (or can't) see to it, do we need other ways?

There are also HIPPA laws that need to be followed. The NRA has nothing to do with that, either. For all of you who are ready to remove gun owners' rights, what other rights are you willing to give away?

If I believed that we would never see another school or church shooting again by banning the AR-15, if I knew that another parent would not have to suffer the loss of a child, I would hand it over tomorrow. Then what? Because it won't stop the shootings. Only the complete removal of guns will do that. Remove the AR, and it will be the handgun, and the shotgun, and on and on. Some of us do have reason to own guns, and I'm not going to give up one of my most effective ways to protect my family, pets, and property.
Using HIPPA laws as an excuse is a smokescreen. A gun buyer simply signs a form, as we are required to sign for insurance payment of medical bills, that allows their medical history to be checked prior to being allowed to buy a gun or ammunition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies