Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Other than the shooter, who do you think is most responsible for the tragedy
Youtube, for deleting the warning comments of someone on the video 1 0.71%
The FBI 19 13.57%
The sheriff and his deputies 19 13.57%
The NRA 21 15.00%
Donald Trump 1 0.71%
The Second Amendment 6 4.29%
The FBI AND the sheriff and deputies and maybe Youtube too 51 36.43%
Other 22 15.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 10:55 AM

4,800 posts, read 3,511,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Sorry, I'm not up to speed on the proper names of all the phallic symbols manufactured by the gun industry.
Phallic symbols. Mature. You know many women are gun owners too.
Maybe you should Educate yourself on said phallics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 10:57 AM

4,800 posts, read 3,511,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
The US Marshals have no authority to confisticate weapons, legally, unless they have a warrant. Perhaps you are thinking about Martial law, where the ARMY takes over**. Or Marital law, where your wife says, "Shut up and sit down before you make a fool of yourself again."

** See also, Posse Comitatus.
I did say Marshal law...

Old 02-17-2018, 10:58 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Useless for someone intent on buying one. I can fail a BGC step out the store, turn around go back in and LEGALLY buy the parts to put one together in an hour. Plus, how about we prosecute felons trying to buy one? 80,000 attempts from a prohibited person to buy a firearm and we prosecute an average of 4 a year.

That and we know we cannot enforce a BGC between two private sellers. Many people don't even know such a thing exists. Just like most State's laws. There are so many and are so confusing many people are criminals today and don't even know it.
Just so that I understand you clearly. You are for people with pre-existing mental illness to have access to firearms but not healthcare?

Old 02-17-2018, 11:00 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,346,263 times
It could be interesting to set up a poll for folks to weigh in on whether THEY'VE been negatively impacted by guns. For me, three times and for my SO once (that I know of).

ME:
1. Sniper shootings that went on for months. Kids locked down in schools. Shootings within a mile of a our house. We went thru 911 (the smoke, the fear) ... THIS was worse.

2. Longer route to work - no more cut through down a side street. One kid with a gun in his belt (clearly visible) on the street was enough for me.
3. Daughter could no longer take the neighbors' dog outside to their yard at night. Some kid with a gun held up another neighbor across the street.

And we live in a high-cost "safe" neighborhood.

SO:
Two dead in his family. A neighborhood kid broke in and stole a gun - that the family had removed from another family member for safekeeping worrying about suicide risk. The kid didn't realize the college-aged son would be home - shot him. Then the mom came home and was killed before the kid could make his escape. The 12 yo found them.

Our having a gun at home would have not made us safer for 1 to 3. For my SO, it was the gun at home that killed his DIL and grandson.

Old 02-17-2018, 11:01 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,930,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Thanks for pointing out how politics tends to corrupt critical thinking, but I would certainly not point in either direction as if the other side is innocent of that corruption.
From Critical Thinking: What It Is & Why It Counts:

Quote:
...We are by nature a species that is averse to risk and loss. Often we make decisions on the basis of what we are too worried about losing, rather than on the basis of what we might gain. This works out to be a rather serviceable approach in many circumstances.

...For example, people with something to lose tend toward conservative choices politically as well as economically. Nothing wrong with that necessarily. Just an observation about the influence of Loss Aversion heuristic on actual decision making. We are more apt to endure the status quo, even as it slowly deteriorates, than we are to call for “radical” change. Regrettably, however, when the call for change comes, it often requires a far greater upheaval to make the necessary transformations, or, on occasion, the situation has deteriorated beyond the point of no return. In those situations we find ourselves wondering why we waited so long before doing something. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes...

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

I also think it is easy to critically think our way toward doing nothing, because sometimes we are inclined toward the easy way out rather than believe we can do better. Still, regardless, good strong critical thinking is key. So is balance. Neither is commonly found in this forum...
I like that quote also.

One of the reasons why I appreciate the benefits of creative & critical thinking strategies is because I think they are particularly suited to the United States of America & to American people.

The other main reason is because they appeal to children (of all ages ) because they are naturally curious, creative, 'lawyerly' in that they advocate for getting what they want, & are persistent.

Off the top of my head, educational approaches geared toward these include those based on Maria Montessori's methodologies. Hers were geared toward children in primary school up to high school, although can be adapted to suit any audience based on curiosity & desire.

Old 02-17-2018, 11:03 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrom View Post
no, i'm against emotional, immature statements that do absolutely nothing to point toward a solution. Nobody wants their children to see their classmates get murdered, but using that statement as an argument is nothing but sensationalism.

I'm not against background checks, i'm not against enforcing current gun laws. I'm not even against tightening restrictions on the mentally ill.

i'm against targeting one specific type of firearm in the vain hope that removing that item from the market will somehow make the violence go away when that item has nothing to do with the reason that people commit violence. I'm against letting people pretend that firearms are the problem when 99% of legally owned firearms are never used in the commission of any sort of crime. I'm against people pretending that inanimate objects are the harbinger of evil. I'm against allowing a bunch of people who know absolutely nothing about firearms and who hate the history of our country to remove constitutional rights because it will make them feel like they are "doing something" while they continue to lie to our children about how the real world works.
aurora - ar-15

orlando - ar_15

las vegas - ar-15

sandy hook - ar-15

texas church - ar-15

san bernardino -ar-15

parkland, fl - ar-15

Old 02-17-2018, 11:17 AM

1,704 posts, read 750,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Sorry, didn't realize you were one of those!
Yes, I've been one one all my life and I'm just loving it!

Old 02-17-2018, 11:17 AM

7,596 posts, read 4,166,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
It could be interesting to set up a poll for folks to weigh in on whether THEY'VE been negatively impacted by guns. For me, three times and for my SO once (that I know of).

ME:
1. Sniper shootings that went on for months. Kids locked down in schools. Shootings within a mile of a our house. We went thru 911 (the smoke, the fear) ... THIS was worse.

2. Longer route to work - no more cut through down a side street. One kid with a gun in his belt (clearly visible) on the street was enough for me.
3. Daughter could no longer take the neighbors' dog outside to their yard at night. Some kid with a gun held up another neighbor across the street.

And we live in a high-cost "safe" neighborhood.

SO:
Two dead in his family. A neighborhood kid broke in and stole a gun - that the family had removed from another family member for safekeeping worrying about suicide risk. The kid didn't realize the college-aged son would be home - shot him. Then the mom came home and was killed before the kid could make his escape. The 12 yo found them.

Our having a gun at home would have not made us safer for 1 to 3. For my SO, it was the gun at home that killed his DIL and grandson.
So sorry to hear about your experience. I have never seen a gun except on a police officer. I read a book once about how to protect yourself by a former detective and he did recommend not owning a gun for protection.

So because I decided to take that advice by heart, I feel that without the protection of a gun, I am much more careful about the behavior of people around me. If I feel somebody is cracking, I always encourage people to come in and help, not really knowing if they have a gun or not.

Old 02-17-2018, 11:18 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
It'll probably take a generation or two unfortunately...we've been on a progressive [misnomer] pushed societal change since the late fifties to turn our country and the world upside down by celebrating evil and mocking good.

We need to take back our standards, stop ignoring/rewarding evil.
yes indeed let's go back to the 50's where wife beating was perfectly ok, even with the police and we could keep those pesky blacks out of our restaurants and schools., we were oh so very good back then

Old 02-17-2018, 11:18 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,531,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeliner View Post
<>
What we need now are [sic] several things put in place.
<>
(8) The NRA should be completely dissolved, placed on the U.S. terrorist list, and considered as an enemy of the state.
Darn. I've been hunting for that line all morning it seems and there it was all the time.
Since I've already explained how you should be out working to repeal and replace the second amendment instead of whinging about it,(change out about 3/4 of the legislators, executives, and judges, State Federal, and local) Let me address your remaining fallacy.
The NRA is composed of 5 million American citizens who join for a variety of reasons, none of which is the facilitation of the murder of innocent school students. You are on a witch hunt for something that does not exist. That was over with in 1693.

Your post is as senseless as blaming the Academy of Model Aeronautics** because some non-member jerk is peeking over your fence misusing a drone to scope out your daughter sunbathing in the backyard.

** An educational organization with a federal charter to spread knowledge of model aviation in all its many forms, including informing MEMBERS of the safe and legal operation of remote control aircraft including those commonly called "drones."
Sort of like what the NRA does for gun owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies