Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2018, 05:39 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times

Advertisements

I DO know vets with PTSD.

I NEVER trust ANY study or poll because most Supply the outcome the person who paid for it wants.

Like I said I am involved with 4 different vet groups and do NOT see these numbers.

Not some study but, real life interaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Chris Kyle, the American Sniper, was well-trained and armed and he was shot and killed.

What chance a kindergarten teacher have?
What difference doesw it make WHAT grade they teach?

They are (according to many on here) HIGHLY intelligent, super educated, most with a Master's degree, highly trained superior individuals we TRUST to educate our children.

If they are as incompetent as you claim because the teach kindergarten, I would NOT trust MY kids with them.

Old 02-24-2018, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebebe View Post
Maybe armed teachers is not the answer but having qualified ex-military armed in the schools might deter the mass shootings or the number of people killed.

However, there were so many people who were notified about this young man and how unstable he was. I have never read so many tips that were sent into the FBI or sheriff's department that warned about this killer BEFORE he killed. The school knew he had issues and many of the students talked about him doing something bad. Police were called to his home many times and DCS was involved. There were many warnings and nobody intervened which could have prevented this shooting.

Even today we have no clue why the Las Vegas shooter killed so many people, no motive, nothing.

There is so much blame to go around and so many people dropped the ball. This is not only a gun issue.
" I have never read so many tips that were sent into the FBI or sheriff's department that warned about this killer BEFORE he killed."

But, but, but it was the GUN he used and we should ban them because the FBI and local police are INEPT!

Gun grabbers do NOT care where the ACTUAL problem is, JUST BAN GUNS and all will be honky dory!

Old 02-24-2018, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
NO.

Most shooters are current or former students. This concept refuses to take into account that, up until the point this student becomes critically violent, this was someone that teachers and staff tried to help. These feelings of caring and protecting students (all of them) don't disappear when one makes a choice like that. The ramifications on staff if they had to shoot a student or accidentally shot the wrong student could be career ending.

This is frankly one of the worst ideas I've even come across. Good teachers don't want to be armed, they don't want to shoot students EVER.
" Good teachers don't want to be armed, they don't want to shoot students EVER."

And YOU HAVE PERSONALLY ASKED EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM to come up with this brilliant statement of fact!

I guess you missed asking this one.

"
Why this Utah teacher says she supports arming teachers with guns in schools"

http://abcnews.go.com/US/utah-teache...ry?id=53287677

Know -it-all People like you who THINK they know what EVERYBODY else thinks and wants is why this country is in the shape it is.

And it ISN'T pretty!

Old 02-24-2018, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
The trouble is that said weapon could simply fatally delay you. A shooter is going to shoot anything standing and going after a gun is going to take time. In that time you could be taking cover, running or working on your escape. A swat team has body armor, stronger\more varied weapons, and numbers to handle the situation.
"and going after a gun is going to take time."

The time they claim it takes for the cops to arrive is 8 minutes (a stat I challenge)

This last shooing lasted 6 minutes I believe.

" A swat team has body armor, stronger\more varied weapons, and numbers to handle the situation"

And long does it take for THEM to arrive and set up?

How many will be dead before the FIRST cop steps foot in the door?

The Va law school shooter was STOPPED by 1 off duty cop and 1 retired cop who BOTH had to leave the building, go to the parking lot to get their guns AND RETURN to the building BEFORE the regular police arrived.

How many lives COULD have been sparred IF they were carrying?

How long did it take for the official police to arrive and a how many were killed BEFORE they arrived/

Old 02-24-2018, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguitar77111 View Post
The logic behind the second amendment is that people need guns to overthrow a tyrannical government, so a true believer in the second amendment would say that if teachers or security are armed, the students would need guns to overthrow tyrannical teachers, administrations, and boards of education.
?

Old 02-24-2018, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I'm leaning more to having armed personnel stationed at entry and exit points. People who have their weapons on them at all times. A defensive firearms is worthless if it's in a lock box and it has to be retrieved by the user.

Guards could have body armor and have readily deployable weapons like PDRs and there are also less than lethal options that are quite effective in trained hands. many cases of school violence can be handled with LTL options. It nat a prerequisite that lethal force be used in every situation. It's likely many teachers would opt for carrying a LTL rather than a firearm.

And some of those options are quite effective and can put a violent offender straight out of the fight. Against a shooter, yea it's risky, but not as risky as having nothing readily available. Academic, yea, but it has the merit of actual discussion of options rather than slinging of absolutes whish this discussion has shown a tendency toward.
What are PDRs and LTLs?

"It's likely many teachers would opt for carrying a LTL rather than a firearm."

WHY do so many THINK thy know what other think without asking them?

Shouldn't we ASK them first?

"
Why this Utah teacher says she supports arming teachers with guns in schools

Why this Utah teacher says she supports arming teachers with guns in schools - ABC News

I agree it is not a 1 item solution problem.

Did you watch any of the meeting Trump held with the family's and a school administrators?

A LOT of GOOD things ARE being done by certain schools.

MORE schools need to LOOK at what some of these schools are doing.

Old 02-24-2018, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Both of which don't require a gun. Anyway someone posted a 20/20 video and it was an eye opener. They simulated an attack on a college class room and despite the fact that all of the students were armed none managed to hit the shooter. In fact the ones who pulled their guns were all shot first.
"and despite the fact that all of the students were armed none managed to hit the shooter."

No I did not see it.

How much training and target practice did they have?

To just put a gun in ANYONE's hand and expect good marksmanship is nothing more then a scam set up to fail which I am not surprised it was done by this network.

Old 02-24-2018, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Expensive and is this a school or a prison? This isn't a fight that needs to be broken up, this is an attack involving weapons that were designed for the military. A taser is no match for a AR-15 and I don't think concussion grenades should be in a school daily.
"this is an attack involving weapons that were designed for the military."

The usual misinformed B.S.

Old 02-24-2018, 06:21 AM

57,294 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
After 9/11 armed guards were placed in many Federal buildings. Of course it could happen; but when was the last attack on a Social Security building. Of course us seniors can get pretty feisty! But would it not be better to simply reassign these guards to protect our children?

As far as fools against an AR-15; it only takes one accurate bullet to kill or disable the shooter with the AR-15. They do have to stop firing and change magazines. It isn't only that; but not all of these AR-15 shooters are trained. Some bought the weapons to make noise. Even with this shooting; not all shots killed; some were wounded and I am sure many shots missed (I have not seen the actual facts on how many rounds he carried or fired). It also only takes a few rounds to stop any shooter from achieving their goal (suppression fire). Shooters do not think about other targets if they have become a target. All of a sudden they have to keep their heads down; the rules of the 'game' changed.
I don't see any teacher being able to react and make a difference in these types of situations, even trained professionals have a difficult time. Decisions need to be made instantly, there have been armed guards that were unable to do anything because of the possibility of injuring bystanders.

This is not a real solution, the NRA needed to propose something so this is what passes as solution. Avoid restrictions at all costs, they cant even agree that an AR15 doesn't belong in civilian hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies