Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 10:31 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,846,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
You don't have to follow any "agenda" that Hollywood lays out for you. I know its tough, but Hollywood is all make believe. Just like Trump being President.
Bingo!

Precisely why I boycott everything Trump. Don't watch him, don't listen to him, don't read any stupid shi* he posts. I refuse to legitimize him, and maybe if more people had done the same since he entered our last circus of an election cycle, perhaps if people hadn't given him the time of day, maybe, just maybe, he wouldn't be in the White House today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 10:36 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,173,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
The "left" is not crying about anything, that would be Trump conservatives who are butt-hurt over just about everything these days, just like their leader.
"Butt-hurt" is a euphemism for the pain one feels after. Used metaphorically, it implies that the party feeling "butt-hurt" was defeated in a savage and humiliating manner. You might want to brush up on your history, but it wasn't the Republicans who were destroyed in the 2016 elections. If anyone is feeling "butt-hurt," it's the Democrats. Conservatives are simply annoyed and tired of the Left.

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-13-2018 at 04:39 AM.. Reason: language

Old 03-11-2018, 10:41 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,846,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
"Butt-hurt" is a euphemism for the pain one feels Used metaphorically, it implies that the party feeling "butt-hurt" was defeated in a savage and humiliating manner. You might want to brush up on your history, but it wasn't the Republicans who were destroyed in the 2016 elections. If anyone is feeling "butt-hurt," it's the Democrats. Conservatives are simply annoyed and tired of the Left.
Yeah, Trump won. But, perhaps you haven't learned that politics is cyclical. Always has been, always will be. I'm not "butt-hurt" (another stupid frat-boy expression). I'm not worried. Because history tells me that I don't need to be.

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-13-2018 at 04:40 AM..

Old 03-12-2018, 01:01 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
"Butt-hurt" is a euphemism for the pain one feels Used metaphorically, it implies that the party feeling "butt-hurt" was defeated in a savage and humiliating manner. You might want to brush up on your history, but it wasn't the Republicans who were destroyed in the 2016 elections. If anyone is feeling "butt-hurt," it's the Democrats. Conservatives are simply annoyed and tired of the Left.
They sure whine a lot for being winners. But then, they whined when they were losers, too.

That snivelling is a sure sign of butt-hurt to me.

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-13-2018 at 04:40 AM..

Old 03-12-2018, 07:11 PM

1,889 posts, read 1,325,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Conservatives generally prefer maintaining the status quo and conforming to the norms of society. Practicality is emphasized over passion. They follow the rules, stay buttoned up, and always toe the line.

That kind of goes against the risk taking, passion-seeking, and new territory-charting it takes to distinguish oneself in a creative field.

That's why you see a lot of liberals among the starving artist baristas, but also mostly liberals among those who can actually make a good living in the arts.

Conservatives tend to pursue things like accounting, construction, and sales. Purely practical left-brained fields.

Obviously there are always exceptions and these are generalizations. But the question itself relies on generalizations as the premise, so...
If your premise is true, the pace of innovation will intensify as a culture becomes more left-leaning, all other factors being equal.

Interesting question, but has that actually been the case? We can examine arguments for and against this:

The Economy’s Hidden Problem: We’re Out of Big Ideas | Wall Street Journal
Tech Slowdown Threatens the American Dream | MIT Technology Review
The Great Innovation Debate | The Economist

For now, I think the cogent arguments support the idea that innovation is actually slowing: Measurable productivity slowdown since the 1950s. The relative absence of paradigm-changing breakthroughs. Incremental developments such as miniaturization, social media.

Even Moore's Law would be considered an incremental development if seen from a perspective of paradigms.

The counter-arguments are concessionary or defensive: A priori assumptions such as "there are limits to innovation". Reductionist claims such as "research funding peaked in the 1960s". Plain ridiculous assertions, such as "infrastructure is hard to replace".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies