Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2018, 12:41 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 2 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
So is the obsession with that stupid wall. This is why it's a bad idea to be a one-issue voter. Trump won over a big percentage of his supporters when he first made that promise, and it's the only thing many of them cared about. Now that they don't have it, they're either furious or in denial.
As furious and red-faced as some of these types are, you'd think the act of illegal immigration is as severe an ethical breach as assault with a deadly weapon (without loss of loss of life or body or brain integrity/functionality, however temporarily, I must add).

At worst, I must emphasize -- illegal immigrants' are akin to a poor person pilfering a few cans from grocery stores, hitting any one store once a week or two, but always spending every day shoplifting a few cans for their family: definitely a crime, but one hardly deserving of the same contempt that the said assault with a deadly weapon case in my example.

People this short-fused to the point of abusive tones over something like this simply have no sense of proportion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 12:44 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
The easiest fix is to let Trump pay for it he said Mexico would pay for he lied therefore it's his problem.

Old 03-25-2018, 12:56 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,609,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
It's a 100 billion now? Why not say "one thousand squadrimigillion", we'd at least get a chuckle out of that.
The same way those of us who believe in American sovereignty get a chuckle when pro-illegals tell us they're contributing 100 billion to the economy here? Might as well say one thousand squadrimigillion for that too.

Old 03-25-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I think the wall is a silly idea.

I am still waiting for the Mexicans to pay for it.

Well, I voted for Trump, but certainly not because i liked the wall idea one bit.

I DO believe military should secure the border though.
Not that I like Trump being president (as thought my Status Entry doesn't give it away already), but the military securing the border would be less nonsensical than building the wall. Understand I'm not all that hot on the idea either, just that I find it much less bad than "the wall".

Symbols communicate meanings. The more physically robust that symbol's intended to be, the more strongly it promotes a message. In fact, that's why people often construct such physically robust symbols in the first place. It also makes the symbol more difficult (and hence more expensive) to tear down. The meaning it would communicate is "We are not an open country. We no longer want your tired, your poor, your huddled masses". This is especially true when there's no plans for a similar wall on the Canadian border.

Soldiers on the border, while still symbolic, are much less likely to remain in place than any of the type proposed is. That makes stationing soldiers along the border much less firmly symbolic a stance than a wall is. That also makes the symbolism of "Keep Out! We Don't Want You Here!" much less decisive than would a wall. The world may be irked at using the US Army to beef up our border, but the image of a wall would be disastrous to our international relations, especially within Latin America and more importantly our neighbor. The message to the world (especially in light of "making Mexico pay for that wall"): If the US doesn't give a damn about the dignity of their next door neighbor, how can we trust the US to care about the rest of the world in general?

Combined with my above post at the top of this page, this is why I'd rather have more soldiers on the border than "The Wall".

Old 03-25-2018, 01:08 PM

As one tweeter said "I'm sure Canada would chip in, too"

I just had to put that one in there. But carry on with the Wall discussion!!!

Old 03-25-2018, 01:09 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
That may not be true.

According to Vicente Fox Trump's hands lost several glove sizes.
The wall may just look bigger comparatively.

NAFTA ????
Profit ????

Old 03-25-2018, 01:10 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,656,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The omnibus spending bill gave more than $700 billion for military expenditures. Why not use a small fraction of that (less than 3.5%) to get the Wall built by the military?

It sounds like an easy way forward to me.
Trump ran on Mexico paying for that stupid wall, he really beat that horse to death and y'all ate it up at those rallies. Now when push come to shove, Mexico paying for it is nowhere to be found. How long have we existed without a stupid wall, let Trump pay for it and maybe Mexico will reimburse him .

Old 03-25-2018, 02:24 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why do you view the wall as a silly idea when links have been provided proving that the good walls do work and it is cost effective? That makes no sense to me.

I've also stated that Trump never said that the Mexican government would write a check for it but he has a plan to force them to that will happen over time. What difference does it make who pays for it anyway when it is vital to the security of our country? Would you rather continue to pay the over $100 billion a year that illegal aliens cost us or help pay for a $25 billion wall? The choice is clear.
Wrong, he said point blank that Mexico will pay for the wall. He didn't say that Mexico would reimburse us or pay indirectly, he said Mexico will PAY for the wall. And where is that $100 billion coming from? Show some links supporting that.

Old 03-25-2018, 02:58 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The omnibus spending bill gave more than $700 billion for military expenditures. Why not use a small fraction of that (less than 3.5%) to get the Wall built by the military?

It sounds like an easy way forward to me.
We military men sign up to fight wars.

If you want a wall, hire brick masons.

Have you folks lost your minds?

Old 03-25-2018, 03:17 PM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
As furious and red-faced as some of these types are, you'd think the act of illegal immigration is as severe an ethical breach as assault with a deadly weapon (without loss of loss of life or body or brain integrity/functionality, however temporarily, I must add).

At worst, I must emphasize -- illegal immigrants' are akin to a poor person pilfering a few cans from grocery stores, hitting any one store once a week or two, but always spending every day shoplifting a few cans for their family: definitely a crime, but one hardly deserving of the same contempt that the said assault with a deadly weapon case in my example.

People this short-fused to the point of abusive tones over something like this simply have no sense of proportion.

Nice try at downplaying the damage of illegal immigration. Your comparison is laughable to say the least. Illegal immigration costs us over $100 billion a year, loss of jobs reduced wages, overcrowded schools, jails, hospitals, neighborhoods and roads and added crime rates. That hardly compares to a few beggars in the streets cashing in cans for cash.

Most Trump voters did not elect him simply on his stance on illegal immigration. There was much more to it than that but you guys continue to believe that anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies